• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

One more Miata motor install

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Talked to your brother today, great guy. It looks like I am going to try it.
I think it will have the look am going for. Thank you for the tip.
here is what it looks like today, the problem is it gets dirty just looking at it :eek:
RIMG0001-L.jpg

pcmenten

Donation Time
You do amazing work!

Nils said the same about you; 'nice guy'. Nils is an enthusiast and he continues to improve his craft. I'm sure he explained that he will probably burnish the bare aluminum surface with steel wool to help seal it and prevent staining.

I'll be very interested to see the finished result. Coming from the factory, the side covers of motorcycle engines have a somewhat durable finish, so that's the goal; polished and stain-resistant.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I saw this car at a car show last week. Clearly it is the car your engine came from! How funny that they made a "Tiger" out of their car so that you can make yours.

Attachments

• miata tiger.jpg
    miata tiger.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 109

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I just got the manifold back from RestoCycle and it looks AWESOME. I wish I could take better pictures, these do not do it justice.
RIMG0004-L.jpg

RIMG0001-L.jpg

RIMG0005-L.jpg

brew.guru

Donation Time
1.8L Mazda Engine and Transmission Swap

Has anyone tried the 1.8L Miata Engine Swap? It has more power, so it seems like a more attractive option than the 1.6L if it fits.
-Randell

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I looked at the 1.8 but it is 1.5 inches longer and a little wider. I run out of room with the 1.6 real fast. I could not go back because the shifter is all ready at the main frame and going forward is not an option with out a lot of cutting and coming up with a new place for the radiator, mine is mounted in front of the core support already. I can tell you that it is a LOT of FUN to drive with the 1.6 around 120 HP. Red line is 7500 rpm, it runs 80 mph at 3200 rpm now. I am looking at superchargers for it that will bring it up close to 200 HP. I am just not sure more power, is worth giving up reliability, but it sure would be fun.

DemkoG

Donation Time
I'm looking to do a 1.8 into mine I have a 1.8, 1999 rebuilt and modified motor looking at 180-185 hp and the rotating is all lightened.
I see some of the limitations size wise but think they can be over come with a little cutting and welding. It helps to move the coils pack, cooling rooting and the fact that the cam sensor is up front helps with the fire wall clearance. The higher exhaust ports will help with the header rooting. As far as the cross member that is a problem but I will be putting a four link in the back any ways so I am going to be chassis work any ways and with the coil pack moved and cam sensor up front I can move the motor back 3in before hitting the fire wall. Front steering is my main concern with that drag link that goes over the trans.
Hope this starts to answer some of your questions. I am sure their will be more problems.
-Greg

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
I'm looking to do a 1.8 into mine I have a 1.8, 1999 rebuilt and modified motor looking at 180-185 hp and the rotating is all lightened.
I see some of the limitations size wise but think they can be over come with a little cutting and welding. It helps to move the coils pack, cooling rooting and the fact that the cam sensor is up front helps with the fire wall clearance. The higher exhaust ports will help with the header rooting. As far as the cross member that is a problem but I will be putting a four link in the back any ways so I am going to be chassis work any ways and with the coil pack moved and cam sensor up front I can move the motor back 3in before hitting the fire wall. Front steering is my main concern with that drag link that goes over the trans.
Hope this starts to answer some of your questions. I am sure their will be more problems.

-Greg

Like Tony said it gets real tight with the 1.6, Also keep inmind the steering crossover limits how far back you can truly go. I have 500 miles on mine so far and it's a hoot to drive

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is interesting to see how different engine installations work out. The 2.5 Duratec installed with the head about 2" from the firewall with no steering mod. It would have been closer if not for the water outlet on the back of the head.

The bottom line - unless there is a commonality between the two engines that require such a large distance between the engine and firewall, the only way to know if a 1.8 will fit is to drop one in and see.

Bill

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I think the trick to installing a 1.8 would be to move the shifter forward 2 inches and then move the motor back 2. I think the steering center link will still clear. If you look real close you can see the center link has about 3 inches clearance on mine.

RIMG0001-L.jpg

RIMG0002-L.jpg

RIMG0001-L.jpg