• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newbie Darksider

gdouhan

Donation Time
Alpine folks in Riverside area

I've been poking around on the forum trying to find some people in my area who have Alpines and came across this thread. I've just got mine going after many many years of sitting (originally bought in 86 as a project car with my dad). The car is up and going but I need to change the bushings on the cross tube steering bar and it seems like its going to be a real pain. Has anyone in this area taken on such a task?--I would love to talk to you about it and also possibly meet others who have these cool cars. I've been turning a lot of heads when I've been tooling around Riverside lately and my plan is to slowly keep fixing the thing up (bought a short block many moons ago from Sunbeam Specialties so my engine only has maybe 5K on it and the body is in good shape). My email is gdouhan@ucr.edu

Thanks, Greg

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Hi Greg,

You might have better luck in the "Stock" forum in terms of getting an answer to your questions about steering. The search function might yield an answer, but I say start a new thread and see who replies. I have yet to ask a question here that hasn't been answered both correctly and well, and even though I have made some rookie missteps no one has ever made me feel stupid for it.

There are a lot of us here in the SoCal area. It's too bad you found us this week instead of last week. Kelly Mathis held a BBQ at "Garage Mahal" and there were at least a dozen cars represented.

This thread is mostly me whinging and asking stupid questions as I do my first engine swap. And of course all the well-informed answers. If you ever decide to scrap your 5k engine for a V6 I'm sure you can find all manner of the wrong way of removing parts, the wrong parts to buy and who to buy your wrong parts from , as well as what to do when you screw things totally up on thread. Of course you will also find the correct list of bolts for the V6, and many other useful bits of information.

Sometimes the Sunbeamers meet at Cars & Coffee in Irvine. Maybe we'll see you there next time.

-John

SoCalpine

Donation Time
The machine shop teacher at work was able to cut down the Ranger pulley to the size of the Capri one. Now I'm turning my attention to the timing pointer. I found one for a 2.9 which will fit according to the folks at the Ranger forums, but might not be exactly the same. Should I go ahead and pull the trigger?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The machine shop teacher at work was able to cut down the Ranger pulley to the size of the Capri one. Now I'm turning my attention to the timing pointer. I found one for a 2.9 which will fit according to the folks at the Ranger forums, but might not be exactly the same. Should I go ahead and pull the trigger?

I will look on my PC at home. At one time I drew up a timing pointer with dimensions.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Since Ed Roth was an alumni of my employer I found myself feeling a bit "finkish" this last week. File size might hide my poor wheel drawing skills.

Attachments

• SoCalpine small.jpg
    SoCalpine small.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 46

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Many thanks to Rich and Kelly for all the help with the new motor mounts. It looks like all that is standing in my way now is the part that goes on the back of the thermostat housing and I can start putting things back in.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

You can source the three pointed back piece from NAPA. They may not have it in stock, but they will order it for you.

Congratulations on almost having it done. Looking forward to hearing that you fired it for the first time.

Jose

ps. I forgot to mention that they will also have the bypass hose that goes from it to the intake manifold.

Many thanks to Rich and Kelly for all the help with the new motor mounts. It looks like all that is standing in my way now is the part that goes on the back of the thermostat housing and I can start putting things back in.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Thanks Jose. I'm glad to hear that I can get the last of my engine parts through Napa. So far I think I still need to get the ignition from a '75 Mustang, a 190 degree thermostat, the bypass hose and the "part for the back of the thermostat housing." Any idea what that's called?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Make sure it is for the M II pump.
The Bronco/Ranger looks very similar but will not work; but I'm sure you already know that.
Sounds like you are going to have a beast when you finish.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose. I'm glad to hear that I can get the last of my engine parts through Napa. So far I think I still need to get the ignition from a '75 Mustang, a 190 degree thermostat, the bypass hose and the "part for the back of the thermostat housing." Any idea what that's called?

No. But I have a few sitting around.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Today I pulled out the fuel tanks and crossover tube. The article was very helpful especially after I had been wrestling with one of the tanks for a while. Take off the trunk bracket? What's that going to do? Of course once I did it the tank fell out. I should know better than to question the wisdom of SAOCA articles.

I did decide that instead of having the tanks red-coated I'm going to go with a 15gal fuel safe with a remote fuel fill and internal fuel pump. I think that means replacing the spare tire with a cell phone/AAA but the peace of mind will be worth it. The tanks are in good shape if anyone needs them.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
I'm starting to look at the fuel system. What capacity fuel pump should I be looking at? And then there are the pickups and vents for the tank.... -6 vs -8 What is that exactly? :confused:

SoCalpine

Donation Time
It's been slow going but I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have the wires in and laid out. I decided to move the fuse box to the passenger side and wire everything that way. The new gas tank and filler neck arrived and it looks like I will be able to plumb that in under the spring without much trouble. I used some crinkle paint which looks okay in the shade, better, than the aluminum anyway. The windows are all out and the doors have the dynamat installed so they shut with a clap instead of a clang. Tomorrow I'm going to try to open up the hole for the Nissan MC, which doesn't quite fit then all there is to do is the brake lines and I can drop in the engine. All that needs is the right bolts for the fuel pump block off plate and the hose from the part that goes on the back of the thermostat to the hole in the whatsit and I can give Kelly back his cart. I have a feeling Mike is going to need to borrow it sometime soon.