• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newbie Darksider

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Well hello everyone. My name is John and I've finally been approved to post so here goes:

My Alpine IV arrived on a trailer today in all of its non-functioning glory. One of my oldest friends and his very enthusiastic 20yo son arrived shortly thereafter to help me pull the motor and transmission out we succeeded in taking all day getting that done and only needed a few pounds of cat litter.

The old motor had a blown head gasket, a cracked exhaust manifold and who knows what else, but now it sits on a plank in the floor of my garage waiting for someone to haul it away. The tonneau doesn't fit, and I'm still not sure how we got the soft top down, but I couldn't be happier with the car.

My conversion kit has been ordered along with a box of parts from Blitz which still has not arrived. I've got a recommendation for an engine builder and a transmission shop in Norwalk, bruised knuckles and a rapidly stiffening back. My wife still can't believe I bought a Sunbeam, what with all my talk about hot rods, but as I sat talking price with the guy with the Model A v8 all I could think about was the little green Alpine all alone with its black plates, it's reserve not met, and now here I am, quite possibly over my head.

This should be fun, building it and all, since that is all new to me, but I'm really looking forward to getting it on the road.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
SoCalPine,

You are in no way alone. In So Cal there are at least two guys with Darkside cars who have two great cars. I know, I've seen them. So help is near and there are two of us in Arizona who have some experience. Plus you have this forum. You may be a little overwhelmed at this point but not over your head. If I can keep mine running and eventually get my second car on the road with the help of this forum, I'm sure you can. I'm in So Cal until Tuesday so if you're in the South Bay or close, PM me and we can talk. If you're looking for a V6, we may have one for you in Tucson. Easy.....

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The old motor had a blown head gasket, a cracked exhaust manifold and who knows what else, but now it sits on a plank in the floor of my garage waiting for someone to haul it away.

Welcome to the world of Alpines and being in over your head. Many of us (well, at least me) spend much time there and that is half the fun.

Before you haul the engine away, you should probably save the head (unless it is so badly corroded that it isn't worth saving) and see if anyone else here needs some of its parts.

gordonra

Donation Time
Greetings SoCalpine!

I'm one of the V6'ers in So Cal that Nick mentioned, and I'm sure you can handle the task of doing the conversion. It's relatively simple, but does seem daunting when you are looking at it on the uphill side. On the downhill side I think you'll be extremely happy with what you've built. As Jose and other have testified, the combination of engine, transmission and Alpine were made for each other!

Take your time and do it up right! :) Lots of help available on the forum, and Jose can tell you all of the in's and out's.

Rich

SoCalpine

Donation Time
I'm not sure whether the best thing is to try to sell the engine whole, as in "haul it away" or else try to harvest parts. I already know someone who is interested in the cam but I don't have the time or space to disassemble an engine righr now. As far as I can tell the only ruined parts are the exhaust manifold but who knows what it's like inside the block. The transmission looks alright except for what might have been a repair in the housing. I don't know much about the history of the car.

I will most likely be listing all of this on "Parts for Sale" but I don't have a truck so if you know anyone in or willing to drive to Orange County I have a hoist and can help you load the engine and/or transmission.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hey, welcome to the world of modified Alpines:
I did my V6 converson starting in August of last year and finished up in Feb/Mar and it is the most fun I have ever had on a project, I am here in Yorba Linda, if you need anything or maybe you would like to see my car for reference, or anything else.
There is enough information on this board to help you learn every step of this conversion and to git 'er done and on the road.
Have fun, and let us know if you need anything.

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Welcome to the forum! I live in Cypress, working sloooooowly on my V-6 conversion as well. The guys on the forum are great sources of knowledge and encouragement. There are enough so cal guys that if you need references for good places for engine/radiator/body work, post in it in the forum. And good luck!

Garet

gordonra

Donation Time
I used to radiator shop near me to make the mods. I think Kelly used one near his house too. Where are you located?

Expect to spend a $400 bill.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi SoCal,

Before you give your radiator to the radiator guy to have the heavy duty three core installed, you need to know how the inlet and outlet nipples need to be modified. You might want to take a look at either Kelly´s or Riche´s, was modified, so you can see exactly how it needs to be done. To begin with, the two nipples need to be swapped from the stock location. The inlet needs to be placed on the passenger side, while the outlet needs to be moved to the drivers side, but not so the nipple comes out of the back side of the lower tank as normal. It needs to come out of extreme end of the bottom of the tank, with a 90 degree elbow that hangs down no more than 1.0". The lower leg of the elbow, needs to point to the center of the radiator and point just slightly back (about 5 degrees). Do not make the lower leg more than 1.5". If it is more than 1.5", it will pass the water inlet on the engine and you´ll play heck trying to find a hose that will not kink when you put it on. If all this sounds a bit complicated, just take a look at either of the two Alpines I mentioned and it will be instantly clear. This operation is very important, if you don´t want to learn to use foul language trying to put a lower radiator hose on your engine.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Well I may have found an engine. It's a '74 Mustang II 74 miles away for $650 Plus finding a truck. I don't know if that's a deal or not.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi SoCal,

Unless that engine is newly rebuilt, I wouldn´t pay that much for it. I consider any used engine as a buildable core, because you don´t know what kind of shape it might be in. A core shouldn´t cost more than $200-$300.

Jose

Well I may have found an engine. It's a '74 Mustang II 74 miles away for $650 Plus finding a truck. I don't know if that's a deal or not.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Try these!
Engine
Ford Mustang 6-171-STANDARD 2.8 1979 $500 ALL MAKE AND MODELS USA-CA(Fontana) Request_Quote 1-866-357-7701 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine
Ford Mustang COMP 35374 $275 Pearsons Auto Wrecking USA-CA(Ridgecrest) E-mail 1-800-446-5865
:cool:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you find a 1979 Mustang 2.8, then you already have the rear sump oil pan and won't need the ranger or Bronco II parts.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If they only want $500 for the whole car, that is a deal. You would have all the early front dress items, including the timing cover, plus you get the hard to find bellhousing. You´d also get the rear sump oil pan and oil pump pick up the only thing you´d need to source from a Ranger/Bronco II, is the oil filter adapter from the Ranger.

What a deal!!

Jose

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

Jose: before SoCal walks away, I agree that $650 is a lot for a core, but the 74 heads are the most desirable. If the engine also included the hard to find bits like the pulleys, front cover and bellhousing, would you still consider that too much?

SoCalpine

Donation Time
The engine set up was for one that has been converted to be put in a Baja (rear engine) so I don't think it has the bellhousing. I went ahead and ordered one of those from Blitz anyway while I was still all eager. The guy on craigslist still hasn't gotten back to me anyway and I still haven't found a truck so delivery might be another hundred bucks or so I'm resigned to finding a core elsewhere. The '79 out in Fontana looks promising, but I still have to check with Ecology to see what they might have. Now that I have an idea of what a core should cost I can shop more wisely.

I'm curious as to what makes the '74 heads more desirable. I thought the Ranger/bronco was the preferred version since it had the bigger/better cam.
-John
Jose: before SoCal walks away, I agree that $650 is a lot for a core, but the 74 heads are the most desirable. If the engine also included the hard to find bits like the pulleys, front cover and bellhousing, would you still consider that too much?

gordonra

Donation Time
The heads from a 74 (Mustang) are pre-smog and are supposed to have better flow.

The blocks for the 83-86? Ranger and Bronco have the heavier duty cam than all of the earlier (74-79 Mustang).

Apparently the Capri, Pinto/Bobcat and the Aerostar also used the 2.8 but Someone else will need to chime in about the years and what parts are usable.......

Rich

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Don´t fear using the early version block because of the cam issue. The Later cam can have the cam journals ground down to the early size, when you have the cam reground for performance. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Jose