• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mechancial Brake Light Kits

nickraymond

Donation Time
Hi All

Sorry, I don't understand what the advantage is as opposed to the standard hydraulic switch?

Are you saying its more sensitive, if so does it really make alot of difference?

Don't mean to be negative, I think its good to have people making things for general benefit, just interested as to what the benefits are.

Cheers

Nick

Nickodell

Donation Time
One advantage of a mechanical switch is that it operates at the slightest movement of the brake pedal, without the brakes necessarily being engaged. I was taught many years ago that one of the best ways to avoid being rear-ended was to tap the brake several times when anticipating coming to a stop - i.e. when still 20 or 30 yards away - to warn the following driver. Most rear-enders are due to the driver following you being inattentive, and flashing the brake lights can help focus their attention. It also works, some of the time, to get a tailgater to back off.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

The stock pressure sensing switch, can take a bit of pressure before it actually lights the brake lights. If this happens, you could have the fellow behind you, on top of you, before he is aware that you are actually stopping. Your car will actually be stopping before the guy behind you knows it. With the travel switch, you can adjust it to where it will light the brake lights before the car actually begins to stop. I like to adjust them so that the slightest brush of the pedal, will light the stop lights, to let the guy behind me know that I'm thinking of stopping. It helps a lot to telegraph your intentions before you actually do it.

Jose

Hi All

Sorry, I don't understand what the advantage is as opposed to the standard hydraulic switch?

Are you saying its more sensitive, if so does it really make alot of difference?

Don't mean to be negative, I think its good to have people making things for general benefit, just interested as to what the benefits are.

Cheers

Nick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Must also mention the mechanical switch is much more reliable than the hydraulic switch. If I was not making mechanical switch kits, I would call the hydraulic switch a POS. In doing so I am not signaling out the Alpine switch. The hydraulic brake switch is simply an inferior concept, prone to delayed action and sticking in the "ON" position.

Bill

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

I know that I will be opening a can of worms with this post. I am a firm believer in silicone brake fluid. Years ago Harley Davidson had problems with brake light switches failing. After much investigation they found that the fumes from the silicone brake fluid that they used, and still do, was contaminating the contacts of the switches. They added a seal that completly isolated the contacts. In the past I have always used a rear brake light switch from a Harley when changing over to silicone. I Know all of the arguments, for and agains silicone, and I like it. This is also why you can't
use it in cars with ABS brakes. The manual swictch will solve this problem. If anyone wants to use a hydraulic Harley switch, be sure to tell the parts guy you want the one with the yellow dot of paint on it.
Lee

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let me say I am very surprised at the reaction. I was hoping to sell 6 kits, figured 10-12 would be max. But lets get on with it.

In order for me to keep track, let's do it this way.
Switch kits, $20
Spare switches $7.50
Shipping, $6.00, USPS priority mail, US delivery. That is a flat rate I decided on.

Send your order with cash, check or money order and mailing address to me at
Bill Blue
2703 South State Road 1
Connersville, IN 47331

Out of country orders, contact me at webluexx@comcastxx.net (remove xx's) and tell me what will work best for you for payment and shipping. We'll figure something out.

I will get these shipped as quickly as possible, shipping in the order of payment received, but keep in mind that at the present, I have no materials on hand.

If I have left anything out, please make a post. If you have unusual circumstances, contact me at the above email addy.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is not too late to get a kit. I just ordered 30 switches and that is how many kits will be made, unless there are orders for additional switches. Looks like there 24 are spoken for at the moment.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

Just so I'm clear, the switch kits include a switch with the mounting hardware or do we need to add for switch?

What's the shipping for those of us ordering 2 complete kits?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

Just so I'm clear, the switch kits include a switch with the mounting hardware or do we need to add for switch?

What's the shipping for those of us ordering 2 complete kits?

Nick, twenty dollars includes all parts. I am offering switches for anyone that wants a spare. Shipping for two kits will be $6.

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
It is not too late to get a kit. I just ordered 30 switches and that is how many kits will be made, unless there are orders for additional switches. Looks like there 24 are spoken for at the moment.

Bill

Hi Bill,

If any kits left, put me down for one.

Allan

JConstable

Donation Time
Bill,
I certainly would not want SIVAllan to be last in line for one of these switches, so please add me to the pack if there are any more available. Thanks

John

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kit pictures

Okay, the kits are pretty much done. Here is what they look like:
IMG_0593.jpg

They will be loosely assembled. That way you will know how they go together and I will know you have everything. The black things are wire ties. I do not have a stock Alpine, so I made the wires a foot longer than needed for the parts car. Any extra can be rolled into a loop and tied up. Edit: My wife pointed out the muffler clamp is installed incorrectly in this picture, so don't blow a fuse trying to figure out how it will mount. The next picture shows that.

Here is how the kit installs on the steering column:
IMG_0592.jpg

I think that is about all the instructions needed. You will need a 1/2" open end wrench to tighten the nuts and the switch has instructions for adjusting its sensitivity. The nuts holding the switch in place are 3/4". They are light duty sheet metal, a pair of pliers will probably be adequate.

Right now, it appears they will be shipped in a USPS Priority Mail shoe box. The first shipment should be early next week.

Bill

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Mechanical Brake Light Switch

Hi Bill,

Hopefully there is one left so please add me to the list

Best regards,

Jack