• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Excitement Builds

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
I do have a list of all the vehicles and years that came with 2.8 it's at home, I will try to remember to post the list once I'm back at home latter today. I got the list off Wikipedia it was very helpful also listed the vehicles and years that the 2.8 came with FI. I tried to find one with FI but was unsuccessful so far but still looking. I wonder if it would work with 4.0 or is intake manifold bolt pattern on 4.0 different then 2.8

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
That's interesting a 6 speed in an Alpine. I will have to have a look I wonder what the difference in mounting would be compared to the T5

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill Blue used the Ranger Mazda M50D-R1 5 speed in his Alpine. He used a custom shifter to move it back further. One out of a 4.0 Ranger will bolt up to your Ranger 2.8. 2001-2011 HD would be best and has better ratios.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
On the RX8 the mount will have to be custom and the shifter is too far back, but can be modified to move forward. I would use the 5 speed from JDM.

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
There is a company out there that makes shifters and linkages for swaps. When I get home will look up link and post. They make pretty much make all to fit your application you just need to send them some measurements and what tyranny you are using

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Reg-Which rear axle are/will you be using? There are several Ford compatible T5’s and the 1st and 5th gears can make a difference. You can have a 3.35 or 2.95 first and several 5th’s. I have a 3.31 Dana 44 in one car and the 2.95 is way too tall. I used one from a Turbo T-Bird (.80) and put the engine rpm 400 higher so it wouldn’t fall on its face going into 5th. im not crazy about the 3.35 first but the .80 overdrive is worth it.

On my other car I have the 3.58 axle ratio and the 2.95 first and .68 5th are perfect

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
I haven't got that far yet. I have been looking for a Ford 8 inch but they hard to find being an older version. I would prefer the 8 inch as apposed to the 8.8 inch but might have to settle for 8.8 as there are lot more out there to chose from. The 8 inch housing is just a little smaller in size and I think would be easier to fit and you can still get a possi or limited slip in them. Once I find or choose I would must likely set it up to match my configuration. I believe no matter which one I get it will have to be narrowed

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
It would be nice if the one that came in the car could handle the extra horse power and could be a limited slip then I would not have to change out hubs/axles to match bolt patterns on wheels

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
Good news I did just get word that engine is in town and I can pick up tonight after work wish me luck on the heads not being cracked

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Find a 7.5" out of a 83-92 Ranger, Most common ratio was 3.45. Lots were Trac-Lok. There are 3.07, 3.73 and 4.10. Aftermarket Mustang ratios of 3.27 and 3.31. You have Dutchman narrow the long driver side axle to 25". That centers the pinion pretty good. Now the long driver side housing should be shortened 1 1/4" shorter than the right passenger side that is left untouched. Of course you have to copy the spring perches from the stock axle.

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
The 3.45 ratio sounds like it would work well depending on trans is. What is the bolt pattern on the axles of the 7.5 I'm assuming 5 bolt and thank you for info

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
5 x 4.5 you can redrill to 4 x 4.25. Fox Mustang has the same bolt pattern as the Alpine. You could shorten both axles and housing ends. 24" axle on driver side 25" on passenger side. You have to shorten at least 4" because of taper behind splines. There is a large casting on top for the upper link suspension that can be cut and ground off. Not sure on housing length but you want to have 2.5" from outside axle flange to inside housing flange.

Last edited:

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Hi Reg
In my experience that the bell housing from a 85 Ranger will not except a t5 unless. I had to make a adapter plate out of 1/2 plate ad have it machined to fit the bell and the T5 but it will work with the hydraulic slave it does on my car But I still used the flywheel from a mustang II and you will still need a new pilot bearing adapter from Dan R
I had the input shaft extended for mine would cost $$$$$ unless you have a friend that owns a machine shop
I used a alpine brake master cylinder on it to activate the clutch and installed a stop on the clutch petal
Dan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, You elected to utilize the Mutt II Flywheel because of the spline count not matching the T5 ? Am I correct ?

Any other reason ? Perhaps a bit larger diameter clutch disc 9" vs 8.5 Ranger ?

I like the idea of the adapter plate you made....

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Hi Dan
Well yes and no the spline count on the T5 fit the mustang II disc I think it is 10 as apposed too 23 spline for the ranger and it was a larger as you say 9" and I already had the webber clutch