• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual brake master cylinders as in 2 anyone do it?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
We made kits back in the stone age that used the rotor I spoke of with a 2 piston caliper and the stock hub003.JPG spindle John Sybrandt still races one of our kits on his Tiger

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I responded to Jim Nichols who suggested using a vented rotor with a "spaced" Alpine caliper.

I specifically stated "..., the problem is making any of them work with the Alpine spindle, Alpine hub, Alpine caliper and especially the Alpine caliper location."

The picture PROCRAFT posted does not use an Alpine caliper, does not use the Alpine caliper location and the rotor is a lot bigger than 10".

Brian Holum's solution does not use an Alpine caliper, does not use the Alpine caliper location and the rotor is a lot larger than 10".

Again, my response was very specifically directed to a post about using a vented rotor with a "spaced" Alpine rotor on an Alpine. It had nothing to do with larger diameter rotors, relocated calipers or non-Alpine calipers.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I got the inlets today, and they look like they will work.
RIMG0548-L.jpg

dmich2

Donation Time
John,
I'm using a dual master from a Nissan F-10. I sourced it from Rock Auto, if memory serves.
Here's a shot of it in the car with the V6.

Cheers!
Steve
Steve. Where did you source the individual reservoirs for your master cyl? I don't see them listed on the Rockauto site?

Dennis

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Dennis,

I had actually purchased another master ( also a dual or tandem) that had those reservoirs on it.
I was going to use it but the outlets were on the bottom and it fouled on the steering box.

I would search Ebay, but I'm sure that someone must sell these.

Cheers!
Steve

jzuk7

Donation Time
Toyanvil, do you how long the mazda MC is? Or the distance from the MC mounting face to the center if the outlets? It is hard to determine if the mazda MC will fit in my car without having the MC in hand. Not only is the valve cover in the way, but the oil dipstick is there too. I'll get around to moving it to the front of the engine when I pull the engine.

I thought I struck gold when I looked at a MC for a mid 70s Nissan b620. It has a 3/4 in bore, and tandem outlets. But the outlets are on the bottom. I can't find the length of the MC, but I assume it would put the outlets right on top of the steering box. Does the stock MC spacer need to be used on any of these MCs? If not, maybe this MC could fit. Although I assume this MC has been tried already.

I received the banjo fitting today, and they worked great. The bolt is 10mm x 1.25 and banjo is 3/8 24 inverted flare out. I also made a push-rod from a grade 8 bolt. jzuk7 with the fitting it is a little over 2 1/2 inches from center to outside of bolt, you could gain an 1/8 inch with a smaller headed bolt. Remember I am running a Miata motor and have a lot of room on the motor side.
RIMG0539-L.jpg

RIMG0540-L.jpg

RIMG0542-L.jpg

RIMG0547-L.jpg

RIMG0546-L.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I wonder if a person could turn the MC upside down? Don't see why not. Rig up a remote reservoir, unless the fluid lines foul the steering column.
Maybe worth a look.
Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
For the V6 guys, I think I would look at a bell crank system and just move the M/C parallel to the fire wall away from the motor.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
jzuk7
The distance from the MC mounting face to the center if the first outlet is 3 3/8" and 5" to the second 5 3/4" total.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Upside down would be interesting. Perhaps canted at a 45-degree angle? With remote reservoirs, it could present a fitting-free side to either the bottom or the side. Jeg's offers a somewhat generic 90-degree adaptor, but other angles are easy enough.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
My understanding is that any air bubbles in the MC need to be able to rise into the reservoirs when the MC piston(s) is fully retracted and the reservoir port(s) is open. Slightly tilted might still work, but...

Seems like having the discharge port(s) on top would result in any air bubbles being pushed into the brake lines rather than escaping back into the reservoir(s).

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My understanding is that any air bubbles in the MC need to be able to rise into the reservoirs when the MC piston(s) is fully retracted and the reservoir port(s) is open. Slightly tilted might still work, but...

Seems like having the discharge port(s) on top would result in any air bubbles being pushed into the brake lines rather than escaping back into the reservoir(s).
Well, top brake line outlets are used, in fact, they are currently on my car.

I can see the argument that the bottom inlet would not allow bubbles to return to the reservoir. While bleeding the system, air would be forced out the wheel cylinders, no problem. Are air bubbles an issue during normal operation? As you might guess, I have no idea what that answer may be. Well, it is either "yes" or "no". Beyond that, I'm lost.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't remember ever seeing an OEM setup with bottom inlets and top outlets, but you certainly have the miles to show that it works.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
For the V6 guys, I think I would look at a bell crank system and just move the M/C parallel to the fire wall away from the motor.

What "V6 guys" problem would a bell crank system solve?

Last edited: