• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual brake master cylinders as in 2 anyone do it?

CRBASIN

Donation Time
I purchased the Ford Currier master cylinder last year, along with parts to relocate the MC. I've decided go with the replacement power unit. PM me if you are interested.

John

Sunbeam Blog Link <== click here

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I purchased the Ford Currier master cylinder last year, along with parts to relocate the MC. I've decided go with the replacement power unit. PM me if you are interested.

John

Sunbeam Blog Link <== click here
George, Could and would you elaborate on your "not a good experience"?
Dan,
I switched both my brakes & clutch to Dot 5 back when it was relatively new at the recommendation of Tiger Tom. My master cylinders and the clutch slave were rebuilt at that time, and the wheel cylinders and lines were flushed with whatever Tom recommended (alcohol?). That was probably close to 25 years ago - no problems (still using the same wheel cylinders). If you made the switch and aren't having any problems, I would recommend leaving your car alone. In my opinion any of the fluids (that don't eat your seals) can be made to work satisfactorily - just remember the old saying 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' definitely applies to brakes! I do flush my system every 2-3 years when the purple color starts to fade, just so my state inspection guys know that it is silicone and don't add DOT 3.

Todd Reid

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Toyanvil
In search of the unicorns
I bought 4 F10 MC last year only to have my money returned days later. I called Rock Auto and they told me the last F10 MC that sold was in 2010 l did some research and l am using a 1985 Hyundai Pony MC the lines come out the top Rock Auto has them and a lot less then the unicorn pm me if you would like to see pictures

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Toyanvil, I have a 73 MGB. You don't want that master cylinder. I think you'll like the Mazda master. 71-72 Dodge Colt works also but is almost as hard to find as the F10. Some of those were 11/16" and work well with the stock brakes.

65beam

Donation Time
A genuine Sunbeam dual master cylinder made by Lockheed. Sunbeam switched to them in 1968. You can see it behind the air filter housing.100_0252.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
I switched both my brakes & clutch to Dot 5 back when it was relatively new at the recommendation of Tiger Tom. My master cylinders and the clutch slave were rebuilt at that time, and the wheel cylinders and lines were flushed with whatever Tom recommended (alcohol?). That was probably close to 25 years ago - no problems (still using the same wheel cylinders). If you made the switch and aren't having any problems, I would recommend leaving your car alone. In my opinion any of the fluids (that don't eat your seals) can be made to work satisfactorily - just remember I do flush my system every 2-3 years when the purple color starts to fade, just so my state inspection guys know that it is silicone and don't add DOT 3.

Todd Reid

THANKS MUCH Todd for that bit of encouragement. I feel better now that someone else has done it and there are no problems, I tried to ensure I stayed with the old saying 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' as it definitely applies to brakes!

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Toyanvil
In search of the unicorns
I bought 4 F10 MC last year only to have my money returned days later. I called Rock Auto and they told me the last F10 MC that sold was in 2010 l did some research and l am using a 1985 Hyundai Pony MC the lines come out the top Rock Auto has them and a lot less then the unicorn pm me if you would like to see pictures
That is one more on my list. My first chose is a .75 bore, I hoping the Mazda B1600 .75 bore I ordered will work.

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
The dual is a Lockheed and the mountings are different. I just took these photos of a new 700 next to one of my cores for the 69. With this setup only the front brakes are hooked to the servo. The calipers are also Lockheed and different from the series Alpines. The braking works real good on our car and presented no problems on the Blue Ridge tour during the United.101_0072.JPG 101_0073.JPG
That is interesting, Bob. Have you ever checked to see if it would fit a Series car?

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
The dual is a Lockheed and the mountings are different. I just took these photos of a new 700 next to one of my cores for the 69. With this setup only the front brakes are hooked to the servo. The calipers are also Lockheed and different from the series Alpines. The braking works real good on our car and presented no problems on the Blue Ridge tour during the United.View attachment 9586 View attachment 9587
Jim,
Look close at the photo of the 69 and you'll see the masters bolt to a plate that bolts to the fire wall instead of mounting directly to the fire wall.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
That Hyundai master appears to be the same as the Dodge Colt with top fittings. Some were 3/4", some were 13/16". They were for power brakes. The 11/16" with side fittings was for manual brakes.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
If you can find a 1980 or 1981 Subaru 1600 M/C it is a dual circuit with the mounting holes in the correct position, they just need slight opening up and you will need to fashion a clevis/push rod. Most of the rebuild available do not come with the reservoirs tho. About $60

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have you installed one of these? I ask because others have reported problems with bottom exit master cylinders.
Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
It's official, my email from Summit Racing. I have now come full circle.

We appreciate your recent order. This email is to notify you that part number CEB-130-42202 which is being shipped directly from the manufacturer/supplier is currently out of stock. Based on the most recent information from our supplier this part is on backorder with no ETA as of current due to not having any cores to build with.

I do have the Mazda B1600 M/C in hand and it looks promising, I am going to start by machining a pushrod for it.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Sorry 'bout that. That's what I get for believing catalogs... But I did run across that unicorn you were looking for.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
It was worth a try, it would have been nice if it was real. I did let Summit Racing know they should take it off their site.