• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual brake master cylinders as in 2 anyone do it?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Pulled my motor out to install the one I rebuilt and thought it would be a good idea to install the new brake system. I was able to install the M/C, proportioning valve and the lines between them. So far so good.
RIMG0573-L.jpg

RIMG0574-L.jpg

RIMG0572-L.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Toyanvil, Great work as always! Real curious on the reservoir(s). Did I tell you about the nice braided blue brake hose available at VW dealers?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Plumbing looks nice! Don't believe I'd have enough room in my engine compartment (2.8V6) to clear the valve covers.

Sometime when you have an opportunity it would be nice to get some measurements on the length and width around the Master brake cylinder.

Thanks Toyanvil, as always....

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, Beautiful! That is a single master though, and more room if put on the other side of the column. I like this Chevette dual master which is 3/4", Chevy Monza is similar but 7/8".

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 17

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Joel, Beautiful! That is a single master though, and more room if put on the other side of the column. I like this Chevette dual master which is 3/4", Chevy Monza is similar but 7/8".[/QUOTE

I've used these for years the only thing about a tandem is piece of mind IMHO,

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel, Beautiful! That is a single master though, and more room if put on the other side of the column. I like this Chevette dual master which is 3/4", Chevy Monza is similar but 7/8".

Jim, How would you go about adapting to the Alpine firewall, the cylinder you pictured has the bolt pattern horizontal whereas the Alpine is vertical ?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's what we did works every time.View attachment 9820

Joel, That engine compartment looks nice! The larger cylinder is a Wildwood (?), which I have one like it, though not in Blue Boy V6.

Not to be stupid But, are the two cylinder connected? Or did you mount them that close together so you would have more room inside for the pedals, beings that you are enlarging the transmission tunnel?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Toyanvil, I went back to look at your cylinders and plumbing again, then studied my V6's to see what could be done as an option like yours..... I want say it can't be done(!), But, can't figure a way to get past the valve covers on the V6. My stuff sits very close the the firewall and the valve covers are too close to the steering gear box and the Master Clutch cylinder.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, Diamond shaped spacer/adapter with both bolt patterns. You would need the manual version of the master cylinder also. Joel, I have experienced one crash and a couple close calls with sudden failure of single master cylinders.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Procraft that looks great.

I had time to finish all the brake lines and bleed them today.
RIMG0593-L.jpg

RIMG0595-L.jpg

RIMG0594-L.jpg

Yesterday we build the drive shaft and powder coated it, also powder coated the radiator mounts.
RIMG0586-L.jpg

RIMG0588-L.jpg

The money shot
RIMG0589-L.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, Diamond shaped spacer/adapter with both bolt patterns. You would need the manual version of the master cylinder also. Joel, I have experienced one crash and a couple close calls with sudden failure of single master cylinders.

Jim, what do you mean by...."You would need the manual version of the master cylinder also" ? ?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, the picture shows one for power brakes. Note the shallow hole where the pushrod goes. The manual master has a pushrod attached, otherwise looks the same.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I plumbed in the stock reservoir tonight. I like the way it looks, but I am still thinking about one reservoir on a dual system. I am thinking if I have a leak in one system I lose all the fluid, but I should still be able to stop with the fluid in the other system, if it is not leaking. I am probably over thinking this, open to all input.
RIMG0605-L.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Toyanvil, Nothing to worry about. Some stock setups use one reservoir for a dual system. I think it would look good to have a pair of the stock ones with separate lines though.