• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Caster shim V pic?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When shimming at the upper A arms. The shim in front will give a negative
The shim in the back will give a positive.
Not quite.
A shim in front does give a negative result. A shim in back is in storage and has no impact. Zero or a half dozen shims in back makes no difference.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Check WSM 145 in Tech Data at the top of this page.

Section F, Front Suspension, page10, fig.8 shows the back shim goes between the nut and the top fulcrum pin. Page 11 states that camber is adjusted by inserting or removing shims between the top fulcrum pin and the crossmember. By inserting shims in back you are 1) storing the shims in a place they can be found if needed in the future and 2) maintaining total stack height.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bill

I am not concerned as to what the WSM shows. Most information is the best. That is at the time it was written it surely was.

However there sometimes is a better way. I was as I mentioned shown by the best. It's amazing how many American truckers book him when they come to Winnipeg.
Reminds me of my daughter in laws Madza van needed an alternator. Book says remove front suspension on the right side and its a 4.5 hour job. The shop I deal with does it in 45 minutes and no suspension removed. Ziggy the owner always listens to his workers when they come to him with possible suggestions
I have done stuff that others say it can't be done

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, I think that when Chuck says Front and Back I think he means Front bolt and Back bolt, using the half shims to affect castor Pos or Neg. I think you are referring to front of the bolts or back of the bolts.

Tom

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bill, I think that when Chuck says Front and Back I think he means Front bolt and Back bolt, using the half shims to affect castor Pos or Neg. I think you are referring to front of the bolts or back of the bolts.

Tom

Hi Tom

You got it one more time.