• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car Find - following a lead

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I always try and check out leads when people tell me about "sunbeams" they see. Seems like everyone that knows I like the little buggers tells me about every time they spot one. They also tell me every time they see a Coyote, like I'm going to go chase it down! :p
Yesterday, I had someone tell me about two Sunbeams sitting in a field. Knowing this guys was not a real car buff I didn't give it much thought. As the day went on, I realized I had heard a rumor about a similar story several years back. I just had a hunch.

Left work and made the long drive. Sure enough, there they were, a Tiger and an Alpine sitting there lonely in all their glory! Nobody was home and I didn't want to trespass so I could not get very close. The Alpine, from what I could see had only a wire core left on the steering wheel and rear fender badges like a Tiger, but no side molding. So I'm not sure if it's not two Tigers! I always carry my bino's in my truck, but didn't have my truck! The other car, a sure Tiger with LAT wheels and all the trim was a dead giveaway.

So, what's the best approach on these things? I left a note with my number telling the owner I have been involved with Sunbeam's for the last 30 years and telling him about the local club. Asked him to call so we could talk Sunbeams. What else can you do! I'm not going to lie, I would LOVE to restore a Tiger!! Have always regreted giving mine away.

The long drive home last night and in bed late, I could not sleep. No phone calls. I feel like a little kid! I know there are still many many barn finds out there, but a Tiger or two sitting in a field!! A rare site indeed! :eek:

P

britbeam

Donation Time
Paul my experience has been when cars are outside in clear view the owner has been asked many times about selling so the approach is critical. I made the mistake years ago about going to look at a car driving a restored car of the same model, The guy thought I wanted to steal the car for a cheap price.It all depends on the individual. My experience could have been the exact oposite if the owner thought his baby was going to someone that really cared for the cars not just a quick $ buck.So I would say you have made the best approach for the moment. Maybe after it simmers a while it will come through. Now where did you say that Tiger is located? Oh you didnt.Lets see theres several flights to Denver before noon. Just pullin your chain Good Luck with it.
Dwain V6 Krazy

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

There are definitely many true tails of car finds in barns and fields, etc. I also heard a true story recently regarding one of Australia's most sort after performance cars of the 70's. It was the usual story, driving along and all of a sudden the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere except for a farmhouse. The guy walked to the farmhouse to use their phone and noticed a car under a tarp. He got talking to the old farmer and ended up that the farmers had been given the car as payment. The farmer revealed that the car was a 1971 Ford Falcon GT HO (Handling Option).
The farmer showed the guy the car and other than being very dusty, was an immaculate and vey low km's. The farmer ended up offering the car to the guy, but he could not accept the car for nothing. He ended up giving the farmer $5000 and the car was his. Had the farmer known the true value of these cars he would not have sold it for such a small amount. A recent auction of one of these Falcon's, the asking price was about AUS$750,000.
There was also another guy who offered four Porshe cars worth approximately AUS$1,000,000 for a similar vehicle. In 1971 these cars were supposed to have been the fastest production sedan around.

Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul you should try the upfront approach: Tell the guy you are a Sunbeam nut, you got to have them, but will not go a penny above $50,000. He will probably think you are buying for Jay Leno and want $100,000.

Bill

Jim E

Donation Time
Dad and I wanted to build an A model street rod when I was a kid so we would drive around on the weekend looking for As in the country. Found them never found anyone who would sell. One sedan we found is still there rusting away.

Then there was a Studabaker hawk we rode past everyday in the school bus and none of us car nuts figure it was for sale. One buddy finally went to teh house and bought the car for fifty bucks. Ends up the car had a SBC in it and the brakes had failed car got parked and sat for a few years guy just wanted it gone. Brakes and fresh gas my buddy was rolling in a pretty cool fifty dollar buy.

The best one I 'know' about happened here in SC. Old couple lives down the block from this fellow and he has noticed there is a car in the garage under cover, notices it for a while actually. Finally he ask about it and they say [this is wild] was thier sons car he bought it just before shipping to Nam and was killed there, they mention it is a Mustang..... and no it is not for sale. Over the next couple years he is casual and brings it up now and again, not even knowing what year or option package the car is. Finally they tell him he can buy it for $5k and he does. Turns out the Mustang is a Boss 429 4 speed car with near no miles and factory correct down to the original tires. Maybe the most original boss 429 on the planet. I know this one is true meet the guy, seen the engine get rebuilt and have seen the car.

Paul all you can do is knock on the door and ask you never know.

Oh one more car find story... my now ex wife's [woo hoo] uncle wanted a project camaro or mustang for him and his son to build [bout 20 years ago] they watch the local papers and such find a drop top Mustang with an ugly paint job in need of a lot of work to be nice. Buy it for a couple grand drag it home and start ripping it apart. When they go to buy some stuff for it finally figure out it is a Shelby KR500. They had no idea what they had bought and the seller had no idea what he had.

sharong

Donation Time
Paul,
I just went through the same thing here 2 months ago. Out walking the dog and just around the corner from my house I find a Sunbeam with a hard top, just off the road in the woods, uncovered and unloved. Ran home got on the internet, found the property owner, got their name and paid them a visit at their home.

Was an older guy who bought the car to restore his tiger, took what he wanted and left the rest to rust in the woods. Kept the conversation friendly and talked Sunbeams for about an hour. He liked the idea that I was putting my cars back on the road and I managed to slide in I was interested in the car for the parts to keep mine going. He had received a few offers for the car from other people, but because I stopped in and just chatted with him he gave it to me for a good price.

I have found that just talking to someone and showing an interest in what they were doing helps to make a deal when no one else can do so. Making sure the seller gets a fair offer, but you also get a good deal makes everyone feel like a winner and that works wonders. Respecting the person you are dealing with, even if you don’t agree with their point of view makes nice things happen.

I got a parts car that was just rotting away in the woods, the neighbor and I got to know and respect each other, the neighbor’s wife got rid of the nasty thing the other neighbors were complaining about, so everyone got a great deal and good feelings out of it.

My mom always said you can catch more flies with honey then with salt, and she was right.
Sharong

miket

Donation Time
Paul, like you, I regret selling my Tiger many years ago. I had it from the age of 21 to 26. many wonderful memories. And I sold it for $800. geeez. if only......

So now I have to settle for a V6 Alpne. oh well, it still makes me happy.

All I can say is good luck.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Paul, like you, I regret selling my Tiger many years ago. I had it from the age of 21 to 26. many wonderful memories. And I sold it for $800. geeez. if only......

And whats wrong with that
If you did your homework and had a good speed machine shop you may have wound up with 200 +HP very streetable V6.
I had ours with the 2.6 and we had 170HP.It was super reliable for 25 years but just got tired.If costs were not so expensive to rebuild it it would still be there in the 62
So what did I go and do but put a roller cam 302 with the goodies into the 62
It just wanted to be like its little brother the Lister

lgurley

Donation Time
In high school I walked past a house with an old beat up car in the back yard. After working up my courage for weeks I rang the bell and asked the nice man how much he would pay me to remove the old car from his yard. After a little chuckle and the story about sentimental value he sold me this wonderful 1937 Ford Coupe for a total of $5.00.
A battery and turning a needle valve around that had been installed backward the engine fired up and as it turned out, it was the first time to be run since the rebuild about 12 years before.
Two years later I traded up to a 1951 Ford coupe.

Larry

Nickodell

Donation Time
My wife and I found Matilda in 1980 sitting (upside down) in someone's side yard a few miles from here. The guy said he was currently restoring three - the 'beam, a Volvo SP1800 and a Lancia something or other from the 1950s - and was not interested in selling any. He only wanted to show me the progress he'd made on the Volvo and Lancia. I left my number, and later that year he called and said his company had relocated him to the Midwest and would only pay to move one of his restorations. Did I want to make an offer on the Volvo?

I said I'd think about it, and figuring that he was going to take the Lancia with him, got his moving date. A couple of days later, when there was no-one home, I took a surreptitious look under the tarp, to find no engine, no rear axle and no apparent restoration, but no apparent rust in the usual places except some minor stuff under the boot, and by squatting down could see no fins, thus a SV. Chickens were roosting under the engine bay, and mice in the seat foams.

A week before he was due to leave I dropped round and asked him what his intentions were with the Alpine. In the end, after I pointed out the missing components we negotiated, as I recall 28 years later, something like $300. I might have got it free, as he may have left it when he moved, but then again I might have lost it to someone else. I had someone haul the car to a lock-up garage and worked on it for some 3 years, as business allowed. Hell, I'm still working on it!

I got a good axle for $100 from a guy in NJ parting a 'pine out, and, wonder of wonders, a factory-fresh complete (except dissy, coil and carbs) 1725 engine, still in Cosmolene, from an importer in Willow Grove, PA, who used to sell Sunbeams, for $400 (about $1,200 in today's money). The rest was sweat equity, except for the paintwork and seat covers; I had a local guy make and install vinyl seat covers for a good price.

And so Matilda took to the roads again for 24 years.:)

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good luck!

There is an MGA (my wife grew up with one) up the street under a tarp. Been that way for 10 years. Guy who owns it says it was his first car and won't part with it. His garage is full of valuable carboard boxes and other irreplaceble items of similar value so he leaves the MG outside. I would love to redo it to go with my Alpine but at some point, he'll let it rot until it is worthless. This is Seattle and it has been known to rain occaissionally.

66Tiger

Donation Time
Best job I had was in college in the early 1980s. As a favor for a friend's mom I was doing odd jobs for senior citizens for the city. Offered a number of cars...if only I wasn't a poor college student!

Sometimes the stories were sad. Most of the cars were nothing special but I recall sitting in a 1968 Nova SS with a 396 and the interior smelled brand new. Her son bought it new and was shipped out to Vietnam 2 weeks later and he didn't come home...she couldn't bear to part with it...the car was a time capsule sitting on blocks for years in a little old lady's garage.

A couple years later after college I went back and the whole area had been leveled for a new subdivision.

Paul

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Paul,
Just across the state line, in southern Mississippi, an elderly fellow had a 1951
Harley Davidson in his carport. He was the original owner. He had fallen off of it and parked it in 1953. EVERYONE around here knew about it and knew he wouldn't sell. Even the owner of the dealership he bought it from tried, with very high offers. A good friend of mine went there and after being told, "It's not for sale", He said, but Mr John, there must be something you want or need that I could trade you". He said "well, son I need a good log truck". Jim found a used dump truck for $1000.00 and bought it. He took the dump bed and hydraulic cylinder off and sold them for more than he paid for the truck. He had a rebuilt engine put in it, and a Maaco paint job. He had a bed welded up from old pipe, and traded that truck for the Harley. He washed, and waxed it, and 3 weeks after trading for it, won motorcycle 1st place in a large New Orleans car show.
One more story that I know is true. In 1963, a friend's father saw a 1954 Jaguar XK-120 Convertable advertised in the New Orleans Sunday paper. He tried for several days and couldn't get the seller. He finally called the newspaper and found out that they had printed the wrong telephone number, off 1 digit. He reached the seller and bought the car. The seller had driven it from California, and couldn't understand why he hadn't gotten any calls about it. "In California, I could have sold it in a few minutes". At the end of 1954, the last year of the XK-120, they built 300 of them with the roll up windows, as a test of the American market. It was not as "sporty" as the roadster with side curtins, and they wanted to know if it would sell. The family still ownes it, and no it's not for sale, even to me, a lifelong friend.
Lee

britbeam

Donation Time

Well Im no different than any other red blooded American boy. The sound of a Tiger will shake you down to your bones with excitement but I can tell you the only thing I miss with my V6 is the V8 sound. The V6 built the Jose way performs great with a much better turning radius and better handling. Now sure its not factory and doesnt comand as high of a sale price but I will tell you the Fun Factor is great and I wont ever sell it. In fact my son is waiting for when the big dirt nap comes because it will be his. The V6 and other mods Ive completed on my Alpine have transformed it into a great sports car.
Dwain V6 Krazy

miket

Donation Time
Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful.

I did say, it still makes me happy. Actually very happy. I've painted it, the same color as my Tiger and it's definitly deja vu each time I look at it.

I think you're right Dwain, the 3.4 I've installed will give more power than the original 260.

But to me, the sound of the Tiger is something special. It's just that, it's what I had when I was young. And after all the crap I've been through with divorces, lawyers, and dishonest women. I just miss those wonderful times.

And if it wasn't for all that crap. I'd would definitly have another Tiger.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Sometimes you aren't looking for a car, and it just pops up. When I was moving to the Seattle area, back in 1977, I went to a storage/trailer rental place, in San Bernardino, California. When I was making the deal for renting a trailer, that my then father in law,was going to tow behind his big Chevy pick up. (It had a 454 in it,), I told him I was flat towing my sports car. he asked about it, then said, I want to sell you this car that a guy left in one of my storage spaces, when he stopped paying the rent on the space. I followed him toward the back units. He opened the roll up door, and there sat an Austin Healy Bug Eyed Sprite. It was a racer, with roll bars and number plate in the doors. I figured he'd want a ton for the car, an extra engine, two transmissions, an extra rear axle, and a lot of other stuff for the car. I wasn't interested in buying anything, as I had no way of taking it along. I asked him what he wanted for it, but he could see that I really wasn't interested, although I had always wanted a Bug Eye. He asked me what I'd pay for it and I said I had no way to take it with me. He than said he'd sell it, with everything in the storage space, for $100. I almost swallowed my tongue. I wanted it BAD, but was leaving in two days and had no way to take it with me. I almost cried, as I had to tell him no. I still feel badly about not being able to take it with me. Why couldn't I have run agross it about six months sooner??!! I would have made arraingements to store it somewhere, till I could come back and get it.

At the same time, a friend of mine had offered me a Morris Minor cabriolet. It was completyely rust free and straight. The only thing wrong with it, was that the engine was bad. He would sell it to me for $80. I wanted it to put a V6 into it, but again, I couldn't, take it with me. The only consolation in all this story, was that I was able to take my V6 Alpine with me, and the rest is history.

I guess we all have deals that slip away from us, but it still hurts to think of the opportunities that we've lost.

Jose :(

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
He than said he'd sell it, with everything in the storage space, for $100. I almost swallowed my tongue. I wanted it BAD, but was leaving in two days and had no way to take it with me.

Jose,
I would have handed him the $100, closed the storage door, put my own lock on it and given him the first two months rent! What were you thinking! :eek:

Paul

Duke

Donation Time
I still feel badly about not being able to take it with me. Why couldn't I have run across it about six months sooner??!! I would have made arrangements to store it somewhere, till I could come back and get it.

It was in storage. Just pay the man and not move it, pay the storage fee??????

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Being that I was poor. Moving from one state to another, without any job prospects, I didn't dare to spend what little money I had to survive on till I found a job. Had I had more time, I could have found someplace that I could stash it for free, for at least a year, but being up against a departure deadline, I couldn't do it. Nobody is sadder than I.

The other problem I had, was a wife that wouldn't have understood why, when we were low on money, facing uncertanty, I wanted to buy another sports car. Life sometimes gets in the way. DRAT!!!