• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Sniper EFI Conversion

Well... air cleaner off and stand next to it with the bonnet open per the video... Probably will.

That said I think the idle in the video sound a bit rough... Quite lumpy and somewhat higher rpm.... I suspect it still needs some fine adjustment.

What ever you did to "Reformat" after you deleted the first post is not working for me.

My anti virus blocks your post.

As a Moderator I can "view" your original post you then deleted, which I like..... If you wish I can make available to the Public - Our Membership again.
Hey Dan,

I originally posted using the built in tool. Then I realize I can use the built in link for Instagram. Works fine when I view it. Makes it easier to see the whole post. Should look like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240522_112726_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522_112726_Chrome.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 17
How much work and money went into setting up the Sniper EFI? I love how it sounds!
Just for the EFI set up was about ..

-sniper EFI 950 +tax
-adapter plate 75
-efi pump and filters plus lines -275
-time -5-8 hours split up over beers and evenings listening to music in the garage while the kiddo sleeps after work

I can do a full instructional write up if people are interested.

Well... air cleaner off and stand next to it with the bonnet open per the video... Probably will.

That said I think the idle in the video sound a bit rough... Quite lumpy and somewhat higher rpm.... I suspect it still needs some fine adjustment.
That was literally the first start. This is with zero tuning so it's going to sound way better soon

I need to set the timing still then the EFI system self tunes its map. So it's just a base line that it uses to Start it then as your drive around on that screen you will see all the things it's monitoring, temp, 02 levels in the exhaust, fuel air ratio etc and what it's doing to learn in different driving aspects. Under full throttle, idling, highway and city cruising etc ...

That was literally the first start. This is with zero tuning so it's going to sound way better soon

I need to set the timing still then the EFI system self tunes its map. So it's just a base line that it uses to Start it then as your drive around on that screen you will see all the things it's monitoring, temp, 02 levels in the exhaust, fuel air ratio etc and what it's doing to learn in different driving aspects. Under full throttle, idling, highway and city cruising etc ...
Per my post, I suspected it needed to be tuned, was more questioning the other poster as the idle sounded unresolved and rough.

I haven't looked into the Holley systems and EasyEfi etc in quite a while, but the earlier systems were closed loop tuning , not actually self learning. They would get a bunch of parameters and then save as opposed to actual variable mapping like the programmable systems.

That said with ai these days.. maybe we will have systems with a close loop and you can give it the various characteristics you want and it will map it... That would be nice!

Very interesting what you did here. I like the creativity.

I am wondering if that intake manifold will evenly distribute the air-fuel across the cylinders? It looks like the stock single Solex carb intake.

Thanks,
Mike

I commented about the video's sound because I had never heard it from my own car/carb/etc. I have no idea what level of tuning is needed for a Sniper EFI or whats correct for any of that, but to have a sound, any sound...

I have worked on my Weber for quite awhile as many of posts will attest and I have never once heard it sound anything close to that going from idle to speed. I can get it to open up and sound off at about 30MPH, but that's about it. If I rev it from idle, standing at the carb with the K&N off it, the engine will rev as it should but it doesn't gurgle, growl, nothing. Just the rev.

I regularly check the oil in case its running rich and there's nothing. I do the fire test, I smell it, etc. Oil even looks clean. Spark plugs are all even and lightly colored from all the charts and pics I've seen online. They look in range to be normal.
It's my daily driver and the way its set I don't stall, I have power the moment I blip the pedal, no bogging, nothing.
I shouldn't complain over not hearing a sound, but it would be nice to at least have one and its a british sportscar so I feel it has a God-given right to at least have one.

It's not that big a deal to not have the sound. If I have to choose between that and a busted engine, I'll let it be mute. But I'll still mention it, just in case there's something horribly wrong that is being hidden by it running fine. Never know.

Last edited:
I commented about the video's sound because I had never heard it from my own car/carb/etc. I have no idea what level of tuning is needed for a Sniper EFI or whats correct for any of that, but to have a sound, any sound...

I have worked on my Weber for quite awhile as many of posts will attest and I have never once heard it sound anything close to that going from idle to speed. I can get it to open up and sound off at about 30MPH, but that's about it. If I rev it from idle, standing at the carb with the K&N off it, the engine will rev as it should but it doesn't gurgle, growl, nothing. Just the rev.
Scott,

Trying to understand which sound you are finding appealing . Wanting .

The video has 3 main sounds.
1. The induction sucking sound when the throttle is actuated . Which has initially a deeper gruffer sound that then transitions to a more whooshing induction.

2. The tappety sound of the valve gear

3. The rather lumpy offbeat uneven sound at idle.

Scott,

Trying to understand which sound you are finding appealing . Wanting .

The video has 3 main sounds.
1. The induction sucking sound when the throttle is actuated . Which has initially a deeper gruffer sound that then transitions to a more whooshing induction.

2. The tappety sound of the valve gear

3. The rather lumpy offbeat uneven sound at idle.
One.

I should have a tuned up version of it in a week or two. I'm out of state so the project is on pause .

As for sound, keep in mind my phone was recording sound right where I was filming so it makes sense you'd hear it much louder. That induction sound is not anywhere near what you heard in the car so I think you're fine on how your car is set up. You can always modify your exhaust if youre looking for more aggressive noises from your alpine.

Very cool. Thanks for adding all this here. Although I'm quite happy with my DCOEs, looking forward to learning more about this.

I have to figure out the generator issue im having first though. If i hook the car up to the battery the generator starts to get hot and starts to smoke like a ground issue or something not sure. Any ideas people?

Sorry if you already said this. Did you switch the generator's polarity? And how did you hook it up to start the engine previously?

I tried the method of what they said to do maybe it didnt take. Would that cause it to smoke if the polarity of the generator didnt properly switch?

https://www.teae.org/m22-changing-an-alpine-from-positive-to-negative-ground/
Excerpt from above link:
  1. Disconnect the field wire from the regulator (yellow/ green) on Series I and II (brown/ green) Series Ill and IV
  2. Momentarily (2-3 seconds) touch the disconnected field wire to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This polarizes the generator to negative ground.
  3. Reconnect the field wire to the regulator.

When it ran in the other video it ran for a couple minutes then i disconnected the battery and went on vacation for two weeks. Glad i did or I may have had a house fire started by a little sunbeam.

Back