• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Sniper EFI Conversion

I tried the method of what they said to do maybe it didnt take. Would that cause it to smoke if the polarity of the generator didnt properly switch?

https://www.teae.org/m22-changing-an-alpine-from-positive-to-negative-ground/
Excerpt from above link:
  1. Disconnect the field wire from the regulator (yellow/ green) on Series I and II (brown/ green) Series Ill and IV
  2. Momentarily (2-3 seconds) touch the disconnected field wire to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This polarizes the generator to negative ground.
  3. Reconnect the field wire to the regulator.

When it ran in the other video it ran for a couple minutes then i disconnected the battery and went on vacation for two weeks. Glad i did or I may have had a house fire started by a little sunbeam.
Does it charge the battery at idle?

Is it necessary to swap to an alternator? Is it an easy process like do I need to do anything special to convert to it?

You need a series 5 alternator bracket or make a custom one. Some on here have used a Hitachi mini alternator or MGB Lucas alternator. I like the 91-97 Saturn alternator.

I just picked up some NOS EFI

stuff so I am all of a sudden

INTO EFI, so just noticed this thread.

AND, also, FYI, Just did an Alternator conversion

On the Weekend Racer Alpine.

AND, just looking at your "Start-up" video,

With the STD S L O W revving of Alpines

with stock HEAVY Flywheels,

It is a VERY safe bet WHEN you put a

light Weight Flywheel in your Alpine,

You will wonder why ALL Alpines don't

have them.

Can't wait to see more of the EFI Alpine!

DW

I don't see that use of old English carbies is a good idea as worn throttle shafts and carb bodies are the main culprits leading to carb swap.
Bill

I don't see that use of old English carbies is a good idea as worn throttle shafts and carb bodies are the main culprits leading to carb swap.
Bill
Your orange Alpine was injected wasn't it Bill? It might not be a problem with use for electronic fuel injection. A vacuum leak does not change the mixture much...... Throttle shafts are 5/16", like a lot of valve guides.... I have knurling tools to fix worn valve guides. I knurled some throttle shafts/bores successfully. I never was satisfied with Zenith Strombergs, but maybe gave up too soon!

Your orange Alpine was injected wasn't it Bill? It might not be a problem with use for electronic fuel injection. A vacuum leak does not change the mixture much...... Throttle shafts are 5/16", like a lot of valve guides.... I have knurling tools to fix worn valve guides. I knurled some throttle shafts/bores successfully. I never was satisfied with Zenith Strombergs, but maybe gave up too soon!
Yes, the fuel injection can compensate for vacuum leaks, but the result is increased idle. Maybe compensate with ignition timing, but that starts you down a long road of unknowns encountered while going off idle. Fix the shafts and throttle bores and you have done most of the expensive work of rebuilding the Stroms. Don't get me wrong, I have no love for Stroms, especially worn out Stroms.
Bill

Oh wow haven't checked this since taking it out. Been driving lots now that it's all tuned and I'm the road. She's for sale if anyone is interested.

View attachment 32192

Can you use one of the alpine air filter housings over the top of the throttle body? It appears to be a round throat...wonder if one of the zenith filters could easily adapt... Would make it a very sly install.

Back