• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A few show photos

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
It was so good to "invade" a British car show with our Sunbeams!
What surprised me was the wide variety of cars there. Here are a few. The XJ220 was a rare treat to see at the show-it came in steaming and left on a rollback. I have never seen a Nash Healey before. It does look better in person than in photos. The race Tiger belongs to Barry S. When asked what Tiger parts are used on his car he said "the tail lights"! It sounded wonderful. Eric

Last edited:

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Here are a few more that I can add... A nice AC Bristol and a mystery car with very familiar looking tail lights.

It was a very enjoyable day and a good event. Sunbeams were very well represented at the show.

Randy

P.S. Let me also add my thanks to Steve, Todd and all others in organizing the Invasion. It was well done and fun.
P.P.S. The green Tiger is my contribution for those who haven't seen it before.

Attachments

• Nashville Car Show 006.jpg
    Nashville Car Show 006.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Nashville Car Show 008.jpg
    Nashville Car Show 008.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Nashville Car Show 013.jpg
    Nashville Car Show 013.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Nashville Car Show 015.jpg
    Nashville Car Show 015.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Nashville Car Show 009.jpg
    Nashville Car Show 009.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
...and a mystery car with very familiar looking tail lights.

I'd bet good money that you're looking at a Turner Mk II. I restored and later raced a Turner 950S.

attachment.php

My old Turner:

t_photos068a-1.jpg
t_photos068b-1.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
photos

eric,
you should have been here when jean did a TT impression for glenn using my hat. i thought i was going to have to pick him up off the floor!

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I'd bet good money that you're looking at a Turner Mk II. I restored and later raced a Turner 950S.

Very good, it was listed as a '65 Turner MKIII. Bill Blue and I were discussing the engine, looked like a Ford Kent, it had a Ford marked intake and a Burton valve cover. We weren't sure if that was original or not.

Randy, I didn't even notice the taillights at the time! Thanks for pointing those out.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very good, it was listed as a '65 Turner MKIII. Bill Blue and I were discussing the engine, looked like a Ford Kent, it had a Ford marked intake and a Burton valve cover. We weren't sure if that was original or not.

Randy, I didn't even notice the taillights at the time! Thanks for pointing those out.

Yes, the early Turners came with Austin 803 and 950 motors, but later ones had Ford 1600 cross-flow motors. Very likely the motor you saw was original. Throughout the production run there were individual 'specials' produced with alternative motors, among them the Alexander cross-flow 950, Cosworth 1630 and the Coventry Climax (quite a few of these).

I don't think it's a Mk III, but as with any kit car the markings and designations are somewhat 'flexible'... remember, these were basically built in a garage. That being said, a true Mk III should have different tail lights, as below:

VicSchuster-Turner-MkIII-AK.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Found an engine photo:
IMG_4409.JPG

Yeah, the valve cover, header, Weber carb and radiator fan are not original, but everything else seems kosher.

Would have come with a Ford blue stamped valve cover, cast iron exhaust manifold, dual S.U. HS2's with an alloy manifold and, believe it or not, a fan on that water pump pulley (totally ineffective!).

On edit:
The heater's been removed. That blanked hole in the bulkhead was for the heater. Mine didn't have one and that was plain flat.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
We got to spend lots of time with Tiger Tom-6 couples went to both the Invasion and the United and spent time between the events racing go carts, zip lining, mountain driving, and talking Sunbeams. Tom is a very good go cart racer.
Sunbeam cars are great but Sunbeam people are the best!! Eric

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tiger Tom's a wonderful guy. I remember fondly several really fun BBQ's at his house.

AutoX47

Donation Time
Great Photos! It's wonderful to see so many Alpines out.

I've seen Barry's Tiger run at a SCCA event or two - I have pictures of him on the track at Autobahn country club but they're a bit too far away.

That does look quite a bit like a Turner MkII - I crew for a MkII racecar. The rear bodywork looks MkII for sure, but I'm not familiar with how the front quarters should look because ours has some very radical fender flares. Ours has the 1500cc ford also, not a crossflow 1600 (wouldn't that be nice!). The inner fenders look about right

65beam

Donation Time
photos

eric,
you and tom blew me off the track. of course your legs aren't as long as mine so you fit those small carts. maybe you should explain about the hat TT had on. whose idea was it to go to that show? my hat is now in the china hutch.
kevin, those events we used to have at tom's house were called the bash/ fixin. if you were there i probably have met you since i was at all of them when they were at his house. i know people that slept in the front yard all weekend. i'll be at his house in a couple weeks so maybe i should encourage him to have the bash at his house in 2013.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
kevin, those events we used to have at tom's house were called the bash/ fixin. if you were there i probably have met you since i was at all of them when they were at his house. i know people that slept in the front yard all weekend. i'll be at his house in a couple weeks so maybe i should encourage him to have the bash at his house in 2013.

Yep... B.A.S.H. - Bring A Sunbeam Here, and yes, we probably met, I imagine, at Tom's house up on the hillside.

I usually attended with my wife (now of 25 years) and my one recognizable feature is my rather large handlebar mustache, so have a think and see if you remember seeing one of those. We didn't sleep over, since I only live 1.5 hours from Tom.

I think another B.A.S.H. would be a superb idea. Perhaps combine it with the Hershey Import Weekend in the spring, since he's quite near there.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I attended one of Tom's BASH's in around 1983, when I was living in Newtown, PA. I remember the house on the hill, with the race track in back, very well. I also remember parking my car next to another red SV and discovering that they came off the assembly line only two apart. But, other than Tom, I have no recollection of who I met there.

Speaking of the BASH, I also remember Tom's RotoRooter, his GT with the Mazda engine. I forgot to ask Tom: what ever happened to that car?