• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. dtbaker61

Selling my '62 Alpine

Please give her a new home... make an offer! Completely 'stock' everything as far as I can tell.... Sadly deciding to sell my '62.... I bought it years ago intending to convert to Electric, but just never got to it as I got distracted converting a Miata instead, and I hate to see it sitting...
  2. dtbaker61

tips on getting it running after sitting

I have not been good about starting my Alpine while it sits waiting for me to work on it.... I haven't started it in 8 months. I charged up battery, put 2 gallons of premium gas in the tank, cranked and cranked in 20 second intervals with 20 seconds between to rest the starter and battery and...
  3. dtbaker61

pondering transmission for electric build

I am starting my homework for electric conversion in earnest now... it will produce aproximately same torque as a hot V6 build (about 250 ft# torque at motor) so I am guessing I'll be much better off with a beefier tranny that the original Alpine, and I'd like to have a higher top gear...
  4. dtbaker61

exhaust for '62 Alpine FS

I inherited a new exhaust when I bought my Alpine... which I will not be replacing since the plan is to convert it to all-electric. what's it worth? make an offer!
  5. dtbaker61

pondering suspension and brakes

I am doing some research and pondering before I zero in on the plan for converting my '62 to electric... I need a beefier rear end to handle the torque regardless, and after having driven my electric Miata for the past couple months I really would love to have the better handling and braking of...
  6. dtbaker61

suggested flare tool?

I am researching a couple new tools I know I am going to NEED ;) when I get into replacing some nasty brakelines. Anyone have any recommendations on good quality, not too expensive flare units? I am looking hard at the Eastwood pro-flare kit.... does all sizes tubing with single and double...
  7. dtbaker61

good tool for brake,clutch,gas lines?

I have several sections of clutch, brake, and gas hardline that need replacing and or, fresh flares to stop leaks.... Can anyone recommend a good tool that does a good job creating the 'bubble flare' that is supposed to be on the gas line ends for instance to create a proper seal? Addition of...
  8. dtbaker61

booster-less brake questions

My SII does not have a vacuum brake booster, and that's fine... actually I don't WANT one because when I convert to electric I would have to add an electric vacuum pump if I had a booster.... What I am wondering is what is the difference between the older boosterless master cyl, and newer...
  9. dtbaker61

tips/tools for door seal replacement?

I am starting to replace door seals.... hard as old bubble-gum! working on removal, and I thought I would ask if there are suggested tools or techniques to get the soft foam seals along the back and bottom to stay in the ridiculous 'tracks'. The bottom has me worried as it is wavy, has a little...
  10. dtbaker61

any pix of lap-belt mount locations?

I am going to add lap belts to my series 2 right away.... it has NO seatbelts, and I am not sure how NM police would handle attempts to argue they were not standard in 1962. Thought i would check w/ group to see if anyone can post a quick picture of where their lap-belt mount bolts are located...
  11. dtbaker61

shopping for wheels

I know this thread pops up once in a while, and I did go back and read a bunch... but I have not seen anybody pull together a comparison of the various 'minilite' style wheels with regard to weight and price from various manufactures. My understanding so far is that the 15"x6 with 195-60r15...
  12. dtbaker61

best source for door and trunk seals?

I am needing to replace basically ALL the door seals around the edges and windows and trunk, as well as the one that goes between top of windshield and hardtop.... who has best quality/fit seals? (series 2)
  13. dtbaker61

tips on rust removal and undercoating?

I am not planning a body-off restoration, but would like to take a pass to knock off some surface rust and seal up the under-body when I am under there working... so I am looking for tips on best rust/scale removal tools and techniques, and then favorite products to undercoat with... so...
  14. dtbaker61

effective product sealing fuel line weeping?

...now that I have driven the car since replacing the slave cyl.... there is a significant amount of gas 'weeping' out around the fuel line pitting that goes into my glass fuel bowl. I tried tightening, but that did not seem to do it... threads may have been damaged in the past, who knows...
  15. dtbaker61

wrong clutch slave pushrod?

ok, my clutch slave saga continues, and the plot thickens. I got a new clutch slave (from taiwan thru VB), which has identical dimensions to the Lockheed I removed so I am accepting the slave itself is probably the right one. HOWEVER, at max 'pushed out' position I note that the top of the...
  16. dtbaker61

are series 2 hardtops aluminum?

I am trying to decide where to store the hardtop that came with my s2, and whether I should paint it quickly, or wait.... The paint is a little scuffed up so I don't want to leave it outside if it might rust. A magnet does not stick, and it is remarkably light.... is it aluminum?
  17. dtbaker61

Factory radio?

I got a Motorola 311x am radio and mounting bracket as an 'extra' in the trunk of the Alpine I bought. I am not sure if this was a factory option, or just something close that the PO picked up. Anybody know? I don't think I'll ever install it anyway, so I just put it up on ebay if anyone...
  18. dtbaker61

clutch slave - bleeder up or down?

I can't tell from manual whether the clutch slave should be installed with bleeder above or below the feed line.... I can justify either, so thought I would ask. The unit I took off was installed w/ bleeder on bottom, but I can't go by that since it was an incorrect unit installed by PO and...
  19. dtbaker61

do one-man bleeder tools really work?

since it looks like I will need to be drain, fixing, and bleeding clutch and brake lines.... are there any one-man bleeder tools that actually work, or is it just as good to run a hose to a catch-jar and alternate pumping with filling reservoir? The bleeder 'kits' seem to run $75-$100, so I...
  20. dtbaker61

best source for clutch rebuild kits?

today... no clutch. I have not had the car very long, and probably driven only about 6 times so far, so not sure how fast this may have progressed, but there is NO hydraulic pressure from pedal today. I have not looked to see if it is obvious whether there is a leak at the master, slave, or...