• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

do one-man bleeder tools really work?

dtbaker61

Donation Time
since it looks like I will need to be drain, fixing, and bleeding clutch and brake lines.... are there any one-man bleeder tools that actually work, or is it just as good to run a hose to a catch-jar and alternate pumping with filling reservoir?

The bleeder 'kits' seem to run $75-$100, so I am wondering if they are worth it.

ImpBarn

Donation Time
Don't use them on DOT 5.

Otherwise, I don't see why not for conventional brake fluid. It seems an awful lot of money for a device that could be replaced with just having your buddy over and helping you bleed the brakes. You could pay him in beer and still be ahead.

dtbaker61

Donation Time
I'll do my best to get help from 10 yr old son.... but sometimes late-night is the only time I have and neither wife nor son wanna be in the garage at 9 or 10pm. ;)

Am I overlooking any inexpensive checkvalve or anything that can be just stuck on a cracked open bleeder valve so I could just give a couple pumps and refill top reservoir until done?

all the old stuff requires DOT4 right? what is the major difference between DOT 4 and DOT 5?

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I know I'm gonna get nailed on this, but yeah they do "work", at least the cheap ones kinda do, if you use them correctly. I've had several, but I've come across a little "trick". Let gravity do the work. Just fill the reservoir w/fluid and crack the rear left bleeder. Put a piece of clear tubing on the bleeder and place the the other end in a bottle. Watch the reservoir and the bleeder. As the level goes down refill. You may need to open the bleeder a little more. Eventually fluid and bubbles will come out of the bleeder. When no more bubbles, that cylinder is bled. Close the bleeder and go to the right rear etc. I did mine overnight. Granted this can be a very slow method but it's cheap and works at least as well as pump and crack, w/one person. I've also symplified my system by removing the booster and upgrading my master cylinder.
Good luck
Ron

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll do my best to get help from 10 yr old son.... but sometimes late-night is the only time I have and neither wife nor son wanna be in the garage at 9 or 10pm. ;)

Am I overlooking any inexpensive checkvalve or anything that can be just stuck on a cracked open bleeder valve so I could just give a couple pumps and refill top reservoir until done?

all the old stuff requires DOT4 right? what is the major difference between DOT 4 and DOT 5?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_4

dtbaker61

Donation Time
...I've come across a little "trick". Let gravity do the work.

my clutch line has a spiral with about 3 or 4 full circles in it. I am not sure gravity would pull bubbles around and down.... think it may require more of a 'pump' to pass the bubbles?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have used the non vacum bleeder for so many years I can't remember when I bought it.I usually let gravity do the work on the front wheels if time permits and use the tool on the back.The trick is to depress the pedal slowly and release slowly as per instructions.As to the clutch I do not need to bleed my Neals slave cylinder.Pumping maybe 20 times after the MC was nearly dry and adding fluid works on both cars.

Would be nice if this old retired guy would have time to drive them.

bashby

Donation Time
I have speedbleeders on both my Alpine and Subaru they work great. I also purchased one of the vacuum units as my MC was being difficult; it worked well but was slow (the compressor ran for about an hour). DOT5 fluid is silicone based DOT4 is not which is why DOT3 and DOT4 are compatible.

Nickodell

Donation Time
I installed Speedbleeders a couple of years ago and they work great. Ron, I'm glad you've had success with the gravity method; I haven't - there are so many places that air can get trapped in the highest points of the system that it always left a bit in and resulted in spongy brakes.

You must have a different system from mine, with TWO rear brake bleeders. Was this on earlier series?

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I installed Speedbleeders a couple of years ago and they work great. Ron, I'm glad you've had success with the gravity method; I haven't - there are so many places that air can get trapped in the highest points of the system that it always left a bit in and resulted in spongy brakes.

You must have a different system from mine, with TWO rear brake bleeders. Was this on earlier series?

Nick, good catch, I did misspeak (mistype). My RR cylinder does not have a bleeder, but I did crack the right rears outlet fitting and let it "weep" a little, before proceding to front brakes. IIRC, I did get a few bubbles. A little bit of not engaging all gears in brain (memory) before engaging gears in fingers. Other cars I've worked on had bleeders on all 4 cylinders. Was this arrangement unique to these cars, or have I just not worked on enough to see this was a common arrangement?
I think having the front end elevated may help force a better distribution of fluid to back cylinders. When I rebuilt my brake system, I was considering using a T-fitting to put the rear cylinders in "parallel" rather than "series", which would have allowed a bleeder in the RR.
Ron

dtbaker61

Donation Time
do you guys remember the SIZE of the speedbleeder on series 2 clutch slave?

I think I am going to have to replace the slave, partly because I am pretty sure the one on the car is NOT correct, and it is a mess inside...

agmason54

Donation Time
one man bleeder tools

This is my kit-
Shade tree (optional)
Broom handle(cane, stick etc)
glass jar
clear plastic tubing
Castrol brake fluid
7/16 wrench

If you cannot find a volunteer ...
Fill jar half way full of brake fluid
Attach tubing from cracked bleeder to bottom of jar
Pump pedal with broom handle while watching air bubbles.
When you stop seeing bubbles tighten bleeder.
Repeat on each bleeder starting at rear of car.
Don't forget to top off reservoir each time.
It wastes some brake fluid but you'll make that up by not buying beer.
Agm