• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

effective product sealing fuel line weeping?

dtbaker61

Donation Time
...now that I have driven the car since replacing the slave cyl.... there is a significant amount of gas 'weeping' out around the fuel line pitting that goes into my glass fuel bowl.

I tried tightening, but that did not seem to do it... threads may have been damaged in the past, who knows.

Is there any effective product ya'll would recommend putting on the fitting threads that will help create a good seal, and stop the weeping?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Noting, of course, the inherent danger of high heat near leaky fuel line.. :eek:
(Of course, liquid gasoline burns; it's the vapors that explode. And I didn't research the relevant temps required for that vs. releasing loctite...)

But you might have to undo it at a later date, and it would be best if that was a safe process.

Is that a compression fitting, or a hose barb that threads into a casting, or something else? If its a compression fitting, the threads really don't "keep the gas in by themselves -- its the ring around the tube, and the mating surfaces that contact it.

Let us know, and I'll look at the one I have, too...

Ken

(Always carry a fire extinguisher... Not kidding...)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Noting, of course, the inherent danger of high heat near leaky fuel line.. :eek:
(Of course, liquid gasoline burns; it's the vapors that explode. And I didn't research the relevant temps required for that vs. releasing loctite...)

But you might have to undo it at a later date, and it would be best if that was a safe process.

Is that a compression fitting, or a hose barb that threads into a casting, or something else? If its a compression fitting, the threads really don't "keep the gas in by themselves -- its the ring around the tube, and the mating surfaces that contact it.

Let us know, and I'll look at the one I have, too...

Ken

(Always carry a fire extinguisher... Not kidding...)

The release temp of LockTite is quite high, but if 242 (the common blue stuff) is used, it can be removed with wrenches, no problem. But you will need wrenches. No pliers, please!

Bill

dtbaker61

Donation Time
Is that a compression fitting, or a hose barb that threads into a casting, or something else?

Mine turned out to be a little compression fitting... not sure if that is a kludge or stock, but probably had been OVERTIGHENED and crushed the tube a little and no longer getting good compression.

I took the easy way out for now, and put a little PTFE pipe dope in back of the fitting so that the compression mashed the dope in the back. This sealed it up fine and should hold until I either re-run the line or remove the whole engine at some point.