• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Nick Farrow

Gas pedal return spring

Hi guys Is there supposed to be a return spring on the gas pedal, or rather just above it? There's two holes on my car that look like they should have a spring bridging them - one attached to the bulkhead/pedal box and one attached to the gas pedal linkage. I'm changing from twin Strombergs...
  2. Nick Farrow

Battery clamp

Hi all Can anyone tell me how the battery is supposed to be clamped down in a Series 3 ? At the moment my battery is just in the battery box and can move freely. Cheers Nick
  3. Nick Farrow

Tappets/Valve clearances on Fastback engine

Hi Guys, My S3 is fitted with a Rapier/Alpine Fastback 1725 engine and the tappets (not sure if that's what you call them in the US!) are awfully noisey. I set up the valve clearances a while ago using the settings for a Series V Alpine. Are the Fastback valve clearances the same? My...
  4. Nick Farrow

Steering wheel retaining nut

Hi guys, Does anyone know the size of the big nut that retains the steering wheel (Series 3 onwards)? I was investigating why there is so much play in my wheel last night and once I'd got the adjuster extension off I found out that that is the only thing holding the wheel on!! Cheers Nick
  5. Nick Farrow

'B' Post trim panels

Hi Guys, I'm in the final stages of an interior rebuild and am about to fit the small triangularish shaped trim panels to the 'B' Posts (inside the car just above the stainless tread plates). The thing is, my car didn't have them before for some unknown reason and as such I have no reference...
  6. Nick Farrow

A suitable shifter surround

Hi Guys, Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable chrome shifter surround like the one in this photo from the gallery: I find the way the standard gaiter fits around the base of the shifter to be unacceptable and think it would look a lot nice with something to "secure" it...
  7. Nick Farrow

Interesting engine choice...

Not seen an Alpine with this engine before...
  8. Nick Farrow

Centre-lock and four-stud rear axle differences

Hi Guys, Are there any differences between the components (excluding obviously the hubs!) of the four-stud rear axle and the centre-lock rear axle? Specifically I'm talking about Series 3s and IVs. I know on MGBs the rear axle is different for each type of hub, but I'm unsure if this is a...
  9. Nick Farrow

Trim screws and cup washers

Hi all, Does anyone know the size/thread size etc of the screws that secure the various trim panels/ash tray etc inside the car? Also, what size are the cup washers? Cheers Nick
  10. Nick Farrow

Which is the overdrive inhibitor switch?

Hi All, I've got two identical looking switches on the front of the transmission remote casing (one on each side) - one is going to be the overdrive inhibitor switch and the other is no doubt a reversing light switch. Neither is currently connected to anything, so I have no idea which is...
  11. Nick Farrow

Overdrive wiring - routing of and a couple of Qs

Hi all, I'm just getting round to wiring up my overdrive unit (which was fitted to the car but never wired up; the previous owner didn't even know it was there!). Over the past few months I've managed to get hold of both the switch and the ultra-rare self-cancelling relay. Now, I've got a...
  12. Nick Farrow

What the H is up with my Transmission Tunnel!

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I've just started to replace my carpet. At the weekend I pulled up all the old carpet and sound deadening in the footwells and cleaned up/painted the passenger side floor (and am going to do the rest as and when I get a chance!). I noticed then that the...
  13. Nick Farrow

Carpet (kits) - any difference between Series?

Hi all, I'm on the verge of buying a new carpet set for my car and have literally just found out that there should be a 'false floor' in the passenger footwell. This is obviously something which was omitted when the car was repatriated to the UK and converted to RHD. My question is, are the...
  14. Nick Farrow

DCOEs & Distributors

What do you guys with DCOEs do about the distributor with refernce to the fact that it's not very easy to connect up a line to the vacuum advance? Can you have the 25D4s bob weights changed so it has a suitable curve and can work without vacuum, or do you source a 23D4 and change the bob...
  15. Nick Farrow

A couple of Weber DCOE questions

Hi all, I've searched the forum with varying degrees of success trying to answer some very basic Weber DCOE fitting questions. My questions are: Apart from the Holbay manifold being too long and the whole setup fouling the bulkhead-to-inner wing strut, is there any reason you can't...
  16. Nick Farrow

Tappet noise

I know the Alpine engines have a reputation for being tappety, but just how tappety is tappety? My engine's tappets seem very loud. I've just checked all the valve clearances and 6 of them were spot on and 2 were a tiny bit out, so I know they're adjusted properly. Also, at about 3000rpm I get...
  17. Nick Farrow

New Rootes Forum

A new forum for all things Rootes has been set up by a fellow member of the 'RetroRides' forum in the UK: http://rootesgroup.proboards.com/index.cgi Hopefully this will improve general knowledge of the 'brand' as it's a little under-represented on the internet! cheers Nick
  18. Nick Farrow

Dip Switch question

When my car was re-patriated to the UK in 1991 (it was originally a US export), some of the RHD conversion was done well (namely the steering and pedals) and some was not. The floor mounted dip switch for instance, has been completely bodged. It currently points in completley the wrong...
  19. Nick Farrow

Transmission Fluid...where's the filler?

Sorry, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't see this in the WSM and I don't have a handbook! I know it's engine oil which should be used, but where is the filler hole? And what's the best way to access it? Ta!
  20. Nick Farrow

Brake Servo - which is correct?

My Series 3 is fitted with a Lockheed brake srervo, which I was under the impression was a modern replacement. To that end I recently got hold of a Girling unit in need of a bebuild so I would have the correct item in my car. The 'new' servo hasn't arrived yet, but I thought I'd do a bit of...