• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission Fluid...where's the filler?

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Sorry, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't see this in the WSM and I don't have a handbook! I know it's engine oil which should be used, but where is the filler hole? And what's the best way to access it?

Ta!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a hole on the right side of the transmission tunnel (usually covered by a rubber plug) that gives you access to the filler plug. The carpet over the tunnel should simply lift up there to give you access to it. It can be awkward to fill because you have go through the tunnel to get to the hole and the angle is awkward. I use a spout that screws into an oil can and has a clear plastic tube on the end. Make sure there is something underneath to catch the run off, as it is virtually impossible to know when the tranny is full until it starts to run out the filler hole.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Nick,

There is a large rubber plug on the side of the transmission tunnel cover. (right side of the car). Pull the plug out and you should see the plug on the transmission. (takes a 1" socket, I think).

It is somewhat of a pain to fill but they make small hand pumps with a hose which screw to the top of oil bottles (couple of bucks for the pump).
It makes it easier to fill.

Steve

(The series I transmission filler may be on top - but I can't really say since I have never come across one)

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Thanks guys! I found the hole, but it took a lot of digging! There were three layers of sound deadening in the way, including the thick fiberous stuff and a layer of rubbery stuff which was attached by thick tar to the transmission tunnel. Obviously no one had filled up the transmission this way for a very long time!

When I did finally get to the hole, there wasn't a bung...instead someone had crudely stuck a round aluuminium plate over the top with some kind of sticky goo!! The filler plug itself is slightly bigger than a 1" socket and unfortunately, I don't have the next size up, so will have to get one before I can try again.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
You can fill it from underneath the car if you have an old-fashioned pump oil can with a flexible nozzle. It takes a while to pump it in a squirt-at-a-time by hand, but you won't have to remove, then re-install the hump soundproofing and carpeting. There also tends to be a lot less spillage topping it off. Also, from underneath you can just use a crescent wrench on the nut.

Thanks guys! I found the hole, but it took a lot of digging! There were three layers of sound deadening in the way, including the thick fiberous stuff and a layer of rubbery stuff which was attached by thick tar to the transmission tunnel. Obviously no one had filled up the transmission this way for a very long time!

When I did finally get to the hole, there wasn't a bung...instead someone had crudely stuck a round aluuminium plate over the top with some kind of sticky goo!! The filler plug itself is slightly bigger than a 1" socket and unfortunately, I don't have the next size up, so will have to get one before I can try again.