• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Centre-lock and four-stud rear axle differences

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Are there any differences between the components (excluding obviously the hubs!) of the four-stud rear axle and the centre-lock rear axle? Specifically I'm talking about Series 3s and IVs. I know on MGBs the rear axle is different for each type of hub, but I'm unsure if this is a recurring theme on other cars.

Cheers
Nick

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Hey Nick,

Did you mean the whole rear axle assembly or just the axle shaft? When I did the wire wheel conversion on my SIV the repro splined hubs simply took the place of the steel wheel hubs. The only extras required were 8 x 3/8? UNF bolts to retain the drum against the splined hub since the wires don't touch the drum.

Cheers, Lance.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Nick, As far as I know there is no difference in the axles as far as which hub is on them. There are different axles, with the number of splines being either course or fine being the difference there, but so long as you have the correct hubs for the axles, they will both fit. I converted my SIV from wires to bolt ons simply by switching the hubs.
Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear! I have a leaky hub seal and the hub is refusing to budge (centre lock hub) and before I go putting it in a heavy duty press and potentially damaging the half-shaft I wanted to know if a 'normal' axle was the same as I know where there is an entire unit for sale should the worst come to the worst.

Cheers
Nick