• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A suitable shifter surround

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable chrome shifter surround like the one in this photo from the gallery:

md_90.jpg

I find the way the standard gaiter fits around the base of the shifter to be unacceptable and think it would look a lot nice with something to "secure" it properly. I've thought about one from maybe a Tiger, but I'm thinking the Tiger one will to be large.

Any suggesting?

Cheers
Nick

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

You could try searching around some of the aftermarket automotive suppliers, but as it is a custom fitting why not make up your own? When you make something yourself, it's always that bit more special (especially if it looks great) :) . Love the interior colour scheme by the way, it really matches the green very well.

Regards, Robin.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Shifter surround

Have a look at Lokar products for Hotrods.
I have a Lokar shifter boot that has a polished SS ring with four screws around the bottom (much like the one in the photo below) and a vinyl (Pleather) boot and it has a chrome bezel round the top of the boot where the shifter sticks out. I put the Lokar boot over the original style for a double seal.
Because the shift lever is a smaller diameter than the hole in the chrome bezel I used a rubber grommet from a strain relief used on the power cord for an electric motor. I had to reduce the OD of the rubber grommet to fit snugly inside the chrome bezel. Once the boot is in place and the rubber grommet is on the shifter I slide it all down and the rubber grommet expands, due to the taper of the shifter, and now the grommet is tight inside the chrome bezel.
I looked at a lot of photos of other Alpine restorations and I've seen many types of shifter boots used. Some were adapted from various cars and some looked like a piece off of a John Deere. They all looked good. But not as good as mine.
I drop my SV at the Trim Shop today for a new set of rugs, seats, interior panels, soft top boot and Tonneau. I'll post photos next week. I'll take detailed images of the shifter boot and the grommet I adapted.
I can only dream my car looks half as good as the Alpine in the photo in Nick's post. I'm using it for the guys doing my interior as a guide...

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I'll second the recommendation for a leather boot. If you cannot find a trim ring that suits you, you can try either marine/boating shops. Lots of nice SS or chrome plated brass stuff there, as either instrument trim rings, access panel trim, etc. The darker leather would be my vote.

Ken

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The only negative to a leather boot is that it won't dampen the road, engine & transmission noise as well as the original rubber boot - quite a lot of noise does come up through that hole. If you go with a leather boot, I'd recommend stuffing some inert wadding in there (cotton batting, for example) to kill some of the noise. Or, do as Jim did, use the leather boot over the rubber one.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
That interior in the original post is bloody gorgeous!

I've been using Fiat X1/9 shift boots and find they work quite well. It's rubber with a wide lip the carpet easily attaches to. Originality freaks wouldn't like the idea, but only a real stickler for detail would ever even notice.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Im quite sure the original rootes style boots are available from SS and Classic Sunbeam, so no need to use another if you are just staying stock.

As for the interior in the photo i think that one used the tiger shifter boot and ring (hence the gap around the lever where the boot should "hug" it.

I think Bill A used a tiger ring and leather boot on his Harrington Alpine. I would have to say that having one milled to fit would be best.. that way you can decide on number of screws, width, diameter and finish.

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I won't be using a leather gaiter as I don't like the look of them. I like to see as much of the chrome stick as possible! I'm not all that interested in originality, so don't really mind where things come from as long as they look the part. I've got a new original rubber gaiter which I may use, but they're not the most attractive of gaiters available. The ones fitted to Tigers and early MGBs are much nicer.

Unfortunately I can't make my own surround as I have neither the tools or metal work skills necessary. I've got hold of a cheap surround on ebay from an MGB which might work (although I won't know 'till it arrives). Think I'll have to do some more research and see what else I can find!

Cheers
Nick

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have used a early MGB-GT shift boot and chrom ring and it looks great, I have one on my Alpine, you can use a MGB as well it is round as were the BGT ring is more oblong. You can pick these up any,I found some nice ones at a swap meet/ car show the other day. Good Luck:cool: The one in your picture is from a MGB!

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
I have used a early MGB-GT shift boot and chrom ring and it looks great, I have one on my Alpine, you can use a MGB as well it is round as were the BGT ring is more oblong. You can pic these up any were I found some nice ones at a swap meet/ car show the other day. Good Luck:cool: The one in your picture is from a MGB!

That's good news! I could see there were two or three different types of surround for the MGB; the very early cars seem to have oblong ones. I was guessing this was maybe in conjunction with the 3 bearing engine/transmission. The one I'm getting is from a Mk2 I think and it looks perfectly spherical.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have used a early MGB-GT shift boot and chrom ring and it looks great, I have one on my Alpine, you can use a MGB as well it is round as were the BGT ring is more oblong. You can pic these up any were I found some nice ones at a swap meet/ car show the other day. Good Luck:cool: The one in your picture is from a MGB!

Unfortunately, you'll now need to use one of those "It's NOT an MG!" bumper stickers. :D

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Unfortunately, you'll now need to use one of those "It's NOT an MG!" bumper stickers. :D

lol! Strangely (changing the subject slightly), no-one has asked me yet if my car is an MG. It was mistaken for an Alfa Romeo a few months ago though!

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Not to hijack the thread, but I get more Triumph mistaken identities with my Alpine, some MG, but the weirdest one was someone mistaking it for a Karman Ghia. I gave the guy a lot of grief for that one.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
shifter boot (gaiter)

Hi Guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable chrome shifter surround like the one in this photo from the gallery:

md_90.jpg

I find the way the standard gaiter fits around the base of the shifter to be unacceptable and think it would look a lot nice with something to "secure" it properly. I've thought about one from maybe a Tiger, but I'm thinking the Tiger one will to be large.

Any suggesting?

Cheers
Nick
I wish the above photo was of my car but...
I picked up my newly reupholstered SV Alpine Friday 3 July.
Repaired and recovered seats. New carpet kit and miscellanious interior panel kit. Soft top boot and Tonneau cover. All parts from SS. Thanks again Rick.
The question here was concerning a suitable shifter surround...
I chose the Lokar hotrod part because it was the right look and price for me. The Lokar boot is over top of the original type rubber boot, also from SS, and has a polished stainless steel trim ring and vinyl/ pleather boot.
Have a look at http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/JimatPA/?action=view&current=DSCF0126.jpg
There is a bunch still to do (steering wheel, dash, console,ashtray) but at least I can drive my bride around and she'll not be embarrased by the old threadbare hooptie.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Car looks really great, Jim. Who did you get to do the installation/trimming?

BTW, you might want to take a small hobby paintbrush and put some black semi-gloss paint (Krylon spray paint works well) on your armrest lid hinge. Also, a little black crinkle-finish will make your ashtray look great. With all the pretty black interior those are really the only things that stick out as needing attention.

DSCF0115.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
...Also, a little black crinkle-finish will make your ashtray look great. With all the pretty black interior those are really the only things that stick out as needing attention.
I was recently looking around the Moss Motors website (looking for an MGB shift boot cover, but that is another thread) when I came across this:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=64053

Does anyone know how close this is to ours? It looks like it might be a hair longer, but it is hard to tell from the photo.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
... I came across this:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=64053

Does anyone know how close this is to ours?

I believe it to be identical to the ones used in Sunbeams. Wilmot Breeden made all sorts of motor accessories (most notably locks) and their ashtray was used on a great many UK cars in the 60's. Since it was on tons of MG's they've reproduced it and it's been available for many years now. I have an old MG one here in my parts bin and it's identical to the Sunbeam unit, so if their's is a faithful reproduction of the MG unit, it's spot-on.

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Well, I've now got an MGB chrome ring and shifter boot installed and it looks great, just like it was put there by the factory. Much nicer than the original one and the chrome ring really helps to set it off and gives the whole stick more defenition. No photos of it yet, but will take some when the whole job is done. As suggested, I left the original boot underneath. Hopefully this will help to keep things quiet!