• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am choosing to forego the surround. I had them finish the upper lip nicely and it will just be painted.

Another decision I made is I will not be mounting the sunbeam letters on the boot lid. I just can't bring myself to blemish the lovely curve. I will have Alpine scripts on the front fenders.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So another 3 months go by and I now have fender scripts installed with a white stripe to mimic the tiger side chrome. They have painted the roll bar to match the car. I still need the mirrors installed, along with the dash pad. So, maybe in another 3 months, I could get the car back.50276.jpeg 50277.jpeg 50278.jpeg 50279.jpeg 50280.jpeg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Looking good. For the grill surround did you have them shape the panel or its just flat? Maybe a slight bull nose to make it less blunt?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Screenshot_20220728-140618_Gallery.jpg The upper lip of the grill opening is beveled in slightly. If you zoom in on my pic posted March 10th, you can see it.

I copied a pic here to show the shape.

Once again, I was told they will be done in about two weeks. I may even believe them this time.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just got off the phone with the paint shop owner. I was told I can pick up my car anytime after this coming Friday. I can't go get it until the following Saturday, but there is at last a light at the end of the tunnel. He has been telling me two weeks since the first of the year, but it may really happen this time.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guess who is not getting their car back Saturday? The shop owner just called and very sheepishly told me the car would not be ready. He didn't want to get into specifics, but told me he would have to repaint a door. I assume something got rolled into it. Odd that the car has been there this long and two days before I collect it it gets damaged in a shop accident. I wont be able to collect it the following weekend, so once again I am two weeks from getting it back.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So I am going to go pick up my car tomorrow. It has been two and one half years in the shop. The final bill has come in about 60% higher than the number I had agreed to way back when. When I first heard how much I needed to shell out, I threatened to just leave the car with him at that price. I am not going to, but that was my first thought. I am going to cough up the money, but it takes away much of the joy of getting the car back.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations on finally getting your pride and joy back home. I hope it will make you smile when you it have back home and not think about the lost time and of course the expense. $$$$
I do feel your pain as I have a little British hot rod (Anglia 100e) that I have had for a long time in primer. I went to my well established local paint shop last week for a quote to body work and paint (absolutely no rust to repair) . This car is probably the same size as my Alpine. $22000 was my quote and not be ready until May next year (allegedly) and this was me stripping the car completely down for them. Yep, that’s not going to happen.
All the very best for the next stage of completion of your Alger.
Cheers

alpine_64

Donation Time
So I am going to go pick up my car tomorrow. It has been two and one half years in the shop. The final bill has come in about 60% higher than the number I had agreed to way back when. When I first heard how much I needed to shell out, I threatened to just leave the car with him at that price. I am not going to, but that was my first thought. I am going to cough up the money, but it takes away much of the joy of getting the car back.
Just look it over very carefully.. Make sure you document it very thoroughly photographicly before ypu pay... And make sure they warrant the finish of the car for a significant time...
If the workmanship is good and holds up... The cost will fade with time