• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can't wait to get it back so I can work on the inside over the winter.

When I saw the car in blue, I almost chose to not add the stripes. I think it would have looked great just blue, but the image I have alway had of the finished project had the stripes, and I am glad I went ahead with them.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do plan to add a white tape pinstripe down the side aligned with the Alpine fender scripts in homage to the tiger bright side trim.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Brain,
She is a beauty!
A couple of questions, is the grill an aftermarket item or from another car. The most important question, when is the car coming home to you?
So EXCITING!

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brain,
She is a beauty!
A couple of questions, is the grill an aftermarket item or from another car. The most important question, when is the car coming home to you?
So EXCITING!
The grill is aftermarket. One of our members had a few of these water jetted out of aluminum. I think I may have bought the last one last spring.

No idea when the car will be coming home. They need to reinstall all the bright work. They have some work to do painting and installing the roll bar. I am having plates attached to the underside of the car with captive nuts so I can remove it if I want to. I am also having bungs welded into the roll bar for attachment of my shoulder belts. That was the main driver for getting a roll bar. I needed a higher mounting point for the belts.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I got a set of VDO gauges for my project the other day, so I spent a little time in the garage working on my dash. I got a new wood dash from GCAutowood. I dropped the new gauges in the holes. I then took a few minutes cleaning 54 years worth of gunk and corrosion off some of the bits that are transferring from the old dash to the new, like the warning lights, and the various switches. A few minutes with Dremel and some polishing compound did the trick.

Here is the original dash and gauges.
20211105_105719.jpg
20211105_110431.jpg
Gauges set in the new dash.

20211105_112347.jpg
One cleaned, one not.

20211105_115231.jpg

Here is the switch prior to removal and cleaning.

20211105_115224.jpg
This is the cleaned up switch. I will need some new tags, as they did not clean up so well.
20211105_124144.jpg
That is as far as I got today.

Does anyone have a tip for removing the washer pump? I can unscrew the nob, but the pump does not want to come free from the back of the dash.

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
For some time I had been casually looking for a series 5 to do a v6 conversion on. I was looking about on ebay recently and saw a 5 that someone had started a v8 conversion on. The firewall and trans tunnel work looked OK in the pics I got so I put in a low bid and won the auction. Now I need to transport the car from Virginia to Iowa and see what I have actually gotten. Wish me luck. Oh, and I will never try to pass this of as a Tiger.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Look inside the pump "housing" where the handle attaches. There's a nut in there that you have to remove.
I forget the size, I think it's a 3/8ths and can be loosened with a deep socket. I've also had luck with long needle
nose pliers to hold the nut while turning the pump body from behind the dash.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Look inside the pump "housing" where the handle attaches. There's a nut in there that you have to remove.
I forget the size, I think it's a 3/8ths and can be loosened with a deep socket. I've also had luck with long needle
nose pliers to hold the nut while turning the pump body from behind the dash.
Yep, that did the trick. I an surprised, the pump actually functions. i will get the knob and bezel cleaned up and install it in the dash, but I am not certain I will ever have it hooked up to anything.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
20211222_101159.jpg 20211222_105320.jpg 20211222_105352.jpg 20211222_105459.jpg I am off work now until after the first of the year, so I swung by the shop to deliver the new wheels and tires and see if any progress had been made. Some had, but not much. Here is what the new tire wheel combo looks like. You can see she sits a little nose high,, but that should settle down once the engine is back in. We also spent some time talking about how we would fit the egg crate grill.

Last edited: