• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Wheeler Dealers" TV show

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Subscribed so I can catch when you guys post that it's going to be on! I do love the show - though I've seen a few where they did things that were a bit "dodgy" (to use a UK phrase).

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
A frame from the video:
W-D_alpine.jpg

Ratical

Donation Time
Looking at the episode guide. It shows season 13 episode 10 is the Alpine. But my velocity guide shows season premiere to be episode 11 1970 Ford bronco. Maybe it's mislabeled or they will go back and catch it at a later date..

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hmmm, just did a Directv Search, Season 13, but it only goes to episode 8, 1968 Corvette, no Alpine episode. Could be too early to show that there is an episode 10 though.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Watch their new episodes tonight and next week. On their FaceBook page Mike talked briefly about the Sunbeam Alpine episode. He said there was a mix-up with the Ford Bronco episode.
Jan

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Just watched the 912E episode. I have an early 912. It was interesting to watch with knowledge about the car. They were close, but definitely off on a few things. So it will also be interesting to see what they say about the Alpines.

Also, on the 912E episode, it showed that some of their stuff is a bit of a set up (aka: fake). When they first show they found the car, it was dull, with ugly, non-matching boring steel wheels. It was at a small used Porsche place. I was able to catch the name of the place and look it up on line. I looked at their "sold" cars and found the 912E. It was in much better visual condition - and it was on nice Porsche Fuchs. So they intentionally made the car look bad so that it could look like they did amazing work on it.

Probably all "reality" shows do the same. But I'll still watch the Alpine episode!

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ya, I'll watch it too, for the mechanical stuff, but it is indeed a 'reality' show.

Speaking of which, my neighbor is a gun enthusiast and his buddy owns an extensive collection. I asked if he had seen an episode of Pawn Stars in which a guy brought in an old pirate 'blunder buster' gun, I was pretty amazed some seemingly Joe Blow would even have one of the rare weapons. He said ya, you wanna see it sometime? What? He said it was a lender from his buddies collection, the 'owner' was actually an actor (ever wonder why the guy behind the counter seems so amazingly 'knowledgeable' about anything that comes in:rolleyes:). His buddy is one of several collectors the show borrows stuff from.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
DirecTv, Velocity Channel, Wed. 12/7 6:00pm PST, 1963 Sunbeam Alpine.

'Mike finds a Sunbeam Alpine, the first car driven by James Bond in the movies, that is high on sporty fun but low on luxury; Ed encounters surprises in the engine bay before he transforms the look of the vehicle.'

Ed decides for maximum performance and handling to install a Ford V6 and 5 speed transmission using something called a 'V6 Jose Kit'.

Ok, I made that last part up :D But the episode should be fun to watch.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
So right off the bat they say something odd. Sporty but low on luxury? That's the opposite of what most reviewers have ever said!

Then again, I kind of agree with the sporty fun - and I'm glad they think so!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Looks like Wednesday night is officially SAOCA Popcorn and TV night.

Post your reviews Thursday.

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
Can't wait! My 1st car was a '63 Sunbeam Alpine GT. My husband and I own a '59 Alpine with OD driver and 2 other '62 Alpines (non-running). Plus a highly modified '62 Alpine race car.
Gina

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Pre-show predictions anyone?

The "low on luxury" quote makes me think thats a lead into making the car more 'luxurious', hope not. Personally, I'd rather not see an LCD screen on the dash, high back bucket seats with built in speakers, or, God forbid, air conditioning:eek:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Omg! Watching now. Only a few minutes into, and loving it. It is a former race car with Microcell seats, rare steering wheel, and Brabham valve cover (engine?), fuel cell, etc.