• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Wheeler Dealers" TV show

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Rob, this West Coast Invasion in May is shaping up nicely. I hope you'll consider attending.

Beamin63

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

I'm intrigued to know more about the audio system Ed referred to at the end of the show. Did he just have a bluetooth speaker propped in the cubbyhole? Was the movie soundtrack dubbed in later? Or does the car actually have a 'no headunit' powered bluetooth speaker stereo system installed?

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your congratulations!

Per your question, Edd installed a small power amp and two rear speakers in the wall of the boot, which are threaded to a Bluetooth unit hidden in the center console. Super tidy. The Bluetooth syncs to my iPhone, so my musical selection is limited only by my music library. It's pretty cool.

When I return from vacation, I'll attach pics of the installation.

Cheers,

Rob

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I personally think they did a really good job in the show. Not sure what the disappointed people expected. They picked one of the best Colors Rootes ever mixed up in my opinion. Nice little car.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rob, this West Coast Invasion in May is shaping up nicely. I hope you'll consider attending.

I want to come back to the US just to get to this Invasion and see Rob's car up close! :)

(we made it to the 2003 Invasion in Dayton, hi to all the old timers from back then).

Cheers,
Paul.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Surbiton

BTW< Surbiton is a Suburban area of South-West London. I posted a few details about the two Brabham prepared race cars which were imported to the US in the Rootes Racing Group on Facebook. I really suspect that valve cover came off the Miles Alpine.

Steve

Hi Jay,

The stamping on the Brabham valve cover includes a "B" with a circle around it, followed by "C.E. LTD.," followed by "Surbiton."

I've attached a .jpg.

Dunno what it means. Perhaps another on this thread might?

Cheers,

Rob

Beamin63

Donation Time
Sound System

Hi All,

A while back, someone asked about the sound system installed in the Wheeler Dealers car. Here are a couple of images showing the installation of the BlueTooth compatible system. The amplifier is mounted to the rear wall inside the boot, with wiring running to the center console. An iPhone jack is included in the wiring, but isn't needed as the phone pairs with the system via BlueTooth. Pretty cool.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• sound1.jpg
    sound1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 88
  • sound2.jpg
    sound2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 95

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Rob, all,
That was me asking about the sound system. Thanks for posting the photos. So is the Bluetooth part in the amp, or the little unit in the console. Either way, a nice 'stealth' installation of a sound system.
The unit is a Kenwood KAC-M1824BT, a 180w amp with a small cabled controller (the bit in the console) and Bluetooth built in. I didn't know such a thing existed. Price is about $140 on Amazon, plus $50 for a pair of water resistant speakers, and we have a cool sound system!
Thanks Paul.

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
In my opinion, I see the problem with the Hollywood (Velocity Channel) take-over of the program. As Ed indicated, the production wants and did, reduce the "technical" part that Ed plays...and it is the most important part of the show (as Ed indicated). My question is WHY is Hollywood degrading the intelligence of their viewers to about a 5th grade level? I see this in about 99% of the shows on cable......and it's becoming very BORING. It wasn't this way years ago. I can understand why Ed left.
Jan

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm disappointed, but not surprised to see this. I thought the episode with the Sunbeam Alpine and some of the other later programs were a bit "thin" on substance. They (Mike & Edd) told you what they did to the cars, but didn't really show any details. It just leaves us (my husband and I) with ANOTHER program/channel we won't watch any more, but have to pay for with DISH.

On the positive, it will get us out of the house and into our '59 Alpine more. We've got lots we need to do to make it a better daily runner and ready for longer road trips.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I agree with Jan.

I would venture to guess the average age of members here is over 50. We typically grew up learning how to fix things, turn a wrench and (God forbid :eek:) get our hands dirty. I would also venture to say the average age of TV car show viewers is less than 50.

Many of the younger guys I know have zero interest in fixing things or turning wrenches, they're used to paying someone else to do it. That category of viewers isn't interested in seeing 'how' Edd fixes something but rather what the finished product is or does. I've noticed that more and more 'car fix' shows only use factory or aftermarket bolt-on parts and accessories (with a seemingly bottomless budget). Very little in the way of fabrication or machine work.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The succinct answer is, we're not the target audience. And the show exists to deliver an audience to an advertiser.

Whether or not they wanted us, we were obviously engaged when Edd was working on a car we were interested in. And probably would be if he was working on something else. But actually showing someone how to do something is not what the producers think their audience wants to see. (Could be some liability fear thrown in there, too -- but then again, other shows have people eating bugs and swinging from trees...) As evidenced from a lot of other shows on that network, conflict and inflated drama/distractions raise the "entertainment" aspect above educational. Sad, but expected out of American TV.

On that network, most of the shows are eye-rollers -- painfully slow and easily distracted from actually doing the work. One or two are OK. There used to be a show with a rock n' roller (Brian Johnson, AC/DC, maybe) that was surprisingly good. I could do without the setup of Overhaulin', but Chip Foose is undoubtably a talented guy.

Also notice it's named Velocity Television. That's Speed, with Direction. Not necessarily the direction we would prefer, however.

There used to be a series on BBC where a guy would pick one project per season, and do it up. Things like completely restoring a Jag. Or building a home-built aircraft kit. 26 episodes' worth of detail. Great show.

There's even a machining/metalworking show (somewhere) that takes the Monster Garage mentality to the CNC machine shop world. Haven't bothered to watch it based on reports by machinists I know. Heck, even Monster Garage would stop the silliness long enough to show an old-school guy doing lead body work.

The good news is, anyone who is motivated can produce and distribute a TV series for not too much cash, and even make a buck or two via YouTube ads, Vimeo, etc. Doesn't even have to have a 'real' network involved. I know some TV production folks, and am one myself, in case anyone's got an idea and some seed money.

And, there are some folks around it would be great to get a 'brain download' from, as none of us will be around forever...

Now look what you made me do. :)

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I don't know about all this American TV bashing. Anyone ever seriously watch some of the cr&p they put out in other countries? There are unbelievably great shows in the US and bad shows too.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of this show. I don't watch it all that much. But, geeze, just how many shows out there are featuring Alpines? How many even have an Alpine in the background? Gotta give these guys a lot of kudos for bringing this to us.

In fact, it is probably the MOST ENGAGING show FOR ME that I watch. Yeah, sure I spend the time trying to find holes in what they are saying or doing. But it sure is a whole lot more active viewing than many other shows I watch!

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll settle this:

This is the best TV show in any category ever produced anywhere in the world. Period.

I will certainly agree that it was the best TV show (well, at least the best automotive show) but it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. It will be a lot less interesting to me if Edd is right that they are going to focus more on the acquisition and sale and less on the restoration. On the other hand, Edd's departure video could be sour grapes over other issues. We'll all know soon enough.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I'll settle this:

This is the best TV show in any category ever produced anywhere in the world. Period.

Ok, now you've done it.

"A Car is Reborn -- E-Type Jaguar"
Mark Evans.

He also did a Cobra build, a kit airplane build, etc. Includes research and acquisition, full resto, etc. An example: bodywork in lead.

Here's the first of that series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DuTFva0N4

This is an YouTube upload of the Discovery Channel re-airing of the BBC show, with apparently Swedish subtitles. It might be available from BBC online, etc.

Beware that searching for the show title in YouTube can result in discovering caches of non-car-related program material of a mature nature. You've been warned... :)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'll weigh in on this. I have to agree that most of us have grey hair. And probably learned to drive manual trans cars. We're a marque specific club so I don't expect a tv show to go into depth and match the level of even many of our newer members. I'm grateful for all the car oriented shows currently aired. And that occasionally some attention is shined on our relatively unknown Sunbeams.

Whether it be Leno's Garage or Wheeler Dealers, Wayne Carini, or Counting Cars, it's bring new interest in our hobby. Once the interest is ignited, people can do their own auto archeology and find a place. I grateful that we gained a new member thru Wheeler Dealers and look forward to meeting him and seeing the car in person in Cambria next month.

I hope shows like these continue to bring new people into the auto restoration, rescue and preservation scene. And that SAOCA continues to be a place that promotes their interest and supplies support.