• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Wheeler Dealers" TV show

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Overall, they didn't "ruin" the car.
As mentioned, the times are not very realistic, but are any of them on any of the shows? 32 hours? Takes me 32 hours to: Well, just do about anything. LOL.
And again as mentioned, the air time only makes for good advertising for our cars. Better call Hagarty and get my value raised.
Gotta admit it did Sound real nice going down the road. Assuming it was the actual sound and not fixed up there in the cutting room.
And everyone is right about not being "correct" in many ways, but who's is?
Gotta change my light switches:D
Nice job, nice to watch.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I thought it was interesting that they did not mention it or show the header coating on the inside of the pipes. When I got mine done, they said it was critical, and made the biggest difference.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I think that the car would have looked better trimmed in dark blue or black. I would not rely on Loctite but no lock plates on the flywheel bolts.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The car was sold and the owner joined this forum. He contacted me about 4 months back wanting the photos of the car from when it was listed on eBay.

He might chime in at some point. I didn't hear back after I sent the photos.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just today.....

While making my rounds around town I met at least five guys at different places discussing the Sunbeam Alpine on the Show.

Naturally I bragged on the Alpine:D Mine included.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
wd_sunbeam.jpg

Beamin63

Donation Time
Hello All,

I'm the person who purchased the Alpine on WD. As a first-time Alpine owner, I've been scouring this site for information about the model, and I'm excited to learn from all of you about my car--especially advice on what I should (and shouldn't) do for it, and, if anyone knows, additional info on its provenance.

I actually made the deal on the car back in May when it was still in an intermediate state of completion. The WD crew gave me some basic info about the car at that time, i.e., where they found it, repairs (to be) completed, estimated completion date, etc. I took ownership in July, at which time we did the end-of-show filming.

Since then, I've been a lurker on this site, unable to post due to a confidentiality clause I was required to adhere to until the initial airing of the episode. In the meantime, I've been following the posts on this thread with interest, especially speculations on the car's possible racing history.

Clearly the car isn't stock, but it does seem solid overall. I learned much from watching the episode last week, especially the extent of the repairs it has undergone. I plan to enjoy it on weekends, and as I say, I look forward to learning from you Alpine experts about how to get it and keep it in top condition.

Cheers,

Rob D.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Congratulations, Rob! You got a heck of a car and a real celebrity. As you have seen, all of the criticisms here were really about the show's misinformation, not the car. It looked like a really solid car, which is always the most important starting point in any restoration, and Edd didn't do anything that would detract from its value. It wasn't a concours restoration, but it sounds like you knew that going in.

And welcome to the SAOCA! In my humble opinion, this club and forum is the best thing that has happened to Alpine ownership in the almost 40 years I have owned my car!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

I repeat all of Jim's comments. Great car and welcome to the club! I hope you get many fun miles with the car.

Do you have any more info on the steering wheel? It looks pretty period special. Any chance you got the original Rootes driving/fog lights with the car?

Like I said, I mounted my oil cooler back behind the grille. Hopefully one day you can get yours moved.

Do you have any more information on the Brabham history?

Best,
Jay

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Beamin63

It is certainly nice to have another Beamer on the Forum....

Welcome, Enjoy and participate:D

I endorse what Jim Alpine 1789 & Jay had to say....

Beamin63

Donation Time
Do you have any more info on the steering wheel? It looks pretty period special. Any chance you got the original Rootes driving/fog lights with the car?

Do you have any more information on the Brabham history?

Best,
Jay

Hi Jay,

I'm not sure about the wheel. The WD crew didn't seem to think it was anything special, and I didn't know to ask. I do notice a piece of foam where it seems like a horn button should be. I too would appreciate more info re. the wheel if anyone has it.

It's possible that the fog lights are in one of the six (!!!) full large bins of spare parts that came with the car. I believe the WD crew told me that the previous owner inherited the bins from the previous owner when he got the car. The bins may also contain some of the old parts that came off the car during the WD resto. At some point, I'll inventory the contents and be looking to sell off the majority of it.

The only info I received about the engine from the crew was that it wasn't original and that they went through the top end. Other than that, I only know what I learned from the WD episode. Again, I'll be keen to learn more from anyone who might know.

Cheers,

Rob

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It looks to me like the steering wheel might be a Les Leston. See if there are any marks on the front or rear of the wheel.

I noticed that funky felt thing they put on there. I now realize that not only do you not have a horn button, I'm not sure you have turn signals. If not, perhaps that should be high on the list to attend to!

It looks like the stock steering column, but some funky adapter. Once you figure out what wheel that is, there are adapters out there that allow you to run the turn signals and a horn button.

sd_pace

Donation Time
Welcome Rob .. Soon you will fine out why the Sunbeam community is the best group in the world ... would love to see more images of your car .. great to have you in the club!

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nice to have you here Rob.

Yep, that's now a celebrity car and it'll be great to take it around to car shows or your local Cars & Coffee get togethers, pretty cool. To that end, I wouldn't change the 'look' of the car at all unless certain items are needed, i.e., horn, turn signals. Folks like to see exactly what was on the TV show in order to really associate and appreciate it (this will be especially be true if/when you go to sell it).