• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Caroline's Project-series 1

ladybeamer

Donation Time
After my first day back at work after 4 weeks of being unemployed I got back to Abby-I named the car.

I checked the engine number-it appears to be a series 2 B9108867 LRX

I need help-again :( For some reason I thought removing the starter was going to be easy, remove a couple bolts, disconnect a wire and pull it out. I got the bolts out, disconnected the wire but can not get the starter out. The shaft is too long and the starter hits the exhaust manifold. Do I have to take the exhaust system off? :confused:

As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You should be able to get it out w/o removing the manifold. I thought the shaft was too long, also, but I got mine out. It can take a bit of finagling, try to angle the back, different directions, as your pulling it out. I forget if I got mine out from the top or bottom. Wiggle it around, the gear is probably just caught on the fly wheel. It is close but should come out. Watch out, it is on the heavy side.
Good luck.
Ron

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
After my first day back at work after 4 weeks of being unemployed I got back to Abby-I named the car.

I checked the engine number-it appears to be a series 2 B9108867 LRX

I need help-again :( For some reason I thought removing the starter was going to be easy, remove a couple bolts, disconnect a wire and pull it out. I got the bolts out, disconnected the wire but can not get the starter out. The shaft is too long and the starter hits the exhaust manifold. Do I have to take the exhaust system off? :confused:

As always your help is greatly appreciated.

It should come out, but you will have to drop it. Cannot work it up past the header. But a lot of people contend it is impossible to remove the starter without removing the header.

Bill

ladybeamer

Donation Time
I'll get elbow deep in grease and gunk this evening. I'll try to make sure the starter shaft is completely in and then wiggle it around for a while to see if I can get it out. I really don't want to remove the exhaust manifold. I'll do what it takes to get her running though. This warm weather has me wanting to ride with the top down.

Can a/c put installed in these cars? It gets pretty hot here so I"m thinking maybe top down and a/c on.:rolleyes:

RootesRich

Donation Time
I've never been able to get the starter out on my SV with headers. I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll have better success.

As far as A/C goes... yes! Cool Cat Eddie's (Ed Esslinger) the man on the Forum you need to talk to when the time comes and he happens to be located in your great State.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
I'll try to wiggle it out but if need be I'll take it apart. Is the header what I keep calling the exhaust manifold?

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I changed the starter on my Series 4 GT without removing the exhaust but you need to be underneath the car to enable it to be manoeuvred (that's how we spell it) properly.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
I was under it again last night, still no luck. I only had 1/2 hour to spend but I tried wiggling it in many directions to no avail. I'll try again this evening, if I still can't get it I guess I'll have to remove the header.
I did find out it's a series 2 engine. I'm having a hard time not starting on the interior but I want it running first.

Once it's running and in good mechanical shape I want to paint and redo the interior. Should I remove the engine etc. and paint it correctly or have it painted intact? It's currently black-don't know if that original but I belive it is. I'll have it repainted the same color.

Also, The under side is extremely greasy-thick goopy grease-how do I get it clean? Will foaming engine cleaner work? Does it hurt the rubber parts?

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Caroline, I can't speak to the SII, or if you have headers rather than the stock exhaust manifold, but I was able to get my starter both out and back in w/o removing it. I can't say for sure but once it was "free" I think I angled the back of the starter up. I had a friend hold it from the top and brought the shaft out and lowered it, shaft down. It went back in easier, did it by myself. I'm sure it would be easier w/the manifold off, but that requiers quite a bit more work to get to. Perhaps, if you just drop the exhaust pipes, from the manifold, you will get the extra room. If you are seriously considering removing the engine, to get it painted, everything gets easier to "do it right". Like you, I wanted my engine to be running and car painted, before doing the interior, top, putting on the chrome, lights and rubber moulding. Since all the lights and chrome had already been removed, the rubber is shot, and it's in old primer, it just made more sense. One of my main priorites is to be able to do most of the work, myself, and still get it on the road by summer. I opted to remove most of the "stuff" in the engine compartment, for rebuild/replacement, but left the engine in the body. I cleaned and repainted the engine compartment w/black rustoleum and touched up the paint on the engine w/1000* engine paint. (I'm probably giving some of the members a heart attack). Once I had the "stuff" back on and had it running, I could think about having it painted. It's now @ a local body shop for paint. Once it's back I need to rehook up all the electricals and do interior...etc. The underside of mine was pretty free of grease/oil/grime but my differential was covered in about 1/4" of crud. The sprays I used softened it some but were pretty worthless as far as removing it. I ended up using a puddy knife and used the sprays to clean it up after removing most of the crud.
A question I think you need to ask yourself is: Do you want a project or a runner? You could have a project, for enjoyment or cost, that may take awhile, if you do the work yourself. Or you can have a nice runner w/in a pretty short period of time. The difference is $. Think about it and make a plan of what you want to do, in what order. Whatever you decide, there is a wealth of information and people on this site, who can help you.
Ron

ladybeamer

Donation Time
Latest update:
I can not get the starter out but I did get a wrench on the crankshaft-I think that's what it's called, where if you could hand crank it you'd hook on to it. anyway, I took the spark plugs out, put the car in neutral and tried to turn the crank using a box end wrench. It did not budge! I am now assuming-correct me if I'm wrong-that the engine has indeed seized.
I'm not in a dilema as to my next option-rebuild the engine-which is actually a Series 2 and not original, or but in a rebuilt Series 5 and OD transmission.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you are building a driver, and I believe are, it does not get any better than overdrive. Alpining at its best. One of the shortcomings of the Alpine for US driving is the short gearing, which gives the cars good 0-60 times, but the high revs get very tiresome on long drives. The overdrive solves the problem quite nicely.

Just my thoughts.
Bill

ladybeamer

Donation Time
If I change the car to series 5 with OD should I switch forums to the modified? Or is modified for big changes like V8's?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Modified is sort of a state of mind. Putting a Series V engine with OD into an early Series non OD car leaves you squarely in Stock. Modified is usually reserved for non Alpine engines or transmissions or full out race prepped Alpine fours.

Bill

ladybeamer

Donation Time
Really glad to be back at work-I'll be borrowing the engine hoist this weekend and a few of the guys there are former race car people. Luckily they are more than willing to give info and help. I'll let you know how it goes.

wipeout

Donation Time
Can I be nosy and ask how much you got what I'd call.." just what I'm looking for " Alpine?

I'm so jealous and yet enthralled by this project. I can't wait to be the next one on here picking these guys brains.

sorry for the trolling....just askin..

:rolleyes:

ladybeamer

Donation Time
Nosy is fine, you don't know until you ask. I'm not sure what your question was though. If you're asking what I paid it was $4500 and that included getting it shipped from CA to GA. It was supposed to be a running vehicle and had I known the engine was locked up I would not have paid that. I obviously don't have the knowledge to redo an engine but I think that taking my time, having these guys to guide me and no fear of grease will get me through it. My biggest problem is lack of patience. I want it done yesterday so I'll have to curb my enthusiasm with reality. I've just finished up my ironing and cleaning and getting ready to go out and start taking the engine bits apart. I've decided to get a "new" rebuilt series 5 engine and series 3 transmission with OD to replace what I've got.
since I'll have that much out I'm going to go ahead and pull the gas tank, trims, seats etc. basically take it down to the body and have it painted before putting it back together.
I'm headed out to take pictures and tear it apart!!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Lady,

If you paid $4500 IMO you got a pretty good deal even without the engine running.

The seller obviously wanted MUCH more for the car, which is why it went through the multiple iterations on ebay. I'm sure if many of us knew it could be had for $4500 you would not be the current owner.

What you have is a rather complete (in some ways, overly complete), relatively low mileage CA car, which just by the clean rust free sheetmetal would have saved you a ton of money over most available cars lack of completeness and added bodywork.

I'm sure the motor can be salvaged, you will probably find its not even locked up.

Now you havent even driven the car and you are allready looking to replace the engine and trans?
As a new owner, I think you are asking for trouble with an OD unless you bought it rebuilt, tested and guaranteed.

A little time and love and you will see the value in your investment.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
Looking to replace the engine and tranny so I can drive it. I had planned to put in OD anyway so figure I might as well do it in one fell swoop. I was told that if I couldn't turn the crank shaft with the spark plugs out the engine was locked.
The current engine is a series 2 so I don't feel compelled to use it. If it was a numbers matching car i would try hard to salvage. I really want the car to run.

anyone wanting to take a vacation to the gulf and work on a car is always welcome to visit.:p