• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Caroline's Project-series 1

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, Caroline, I saw one good photo of the fuel pump, located below, what appears to be a second filter connected to your brake booster. Does the second filter have any kind of lever, sticking out the bottom? I'm wondering if it's a filter that looks like the pump/filter or a second pump/filter. Other than being connected to the brake booster, is it connected to anywhere else?
I cannot think of a single reason to put any kind of glass domed filter on the high pressure hydraulic brake system. Looks to me like someone had an extra part and mounted it.:confused:

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I notice the following

Photo Rivets?
This is casued by a reaction under the lead filler. It is common on the early cars and is nothing to worry about.

Photo Brake Fluid?
The cylinder located on the inner fender is the brake fluid reservoir. It you follow the metal line form the reservoir it is connected to the brake fluid master cylinder located on the flywheel.

Photo ?????
This is the heater control valve. the metal cable is connected to the sliding heater switch at the top of the dash.

Photo Whats this???
The switches are not standard and have been added by a previous owner. The round cable is to re-set the trip on the speedometer. Push it in and turn it. The wiring can be tidied.

Nice series 1, these are now pretty rare especiaslly in black.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
Photo Rivets?
This is casued by a reaction under the lead filler. It is common on the early cars and is nothing to worry about.
So the rivets are original? I thought maybe the area under the door had been replaced and rivets used.

Nice series 1, these are now pretty rare especiaslly in black.
I guess I need to keep it as original as possible then. I thought there were lots of series 1's and the later series were more rare. So much for changing the color to purple and pink:(

I've removed the carbs, water pump and eshaust. What else do I need to remove and or do to get ready to remove the engine?:confused:

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Photo Rivets?

So the rivets are original? I thought maybe the area under the door had been replaced and rivets used.

This is original

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Caroline, Those rivets are not original. Rootes didn't rivet bodywork. Seams were welded and filled with lead. What you have there is most likely a patch that was riveted on & filled when a previous owner "restored" it.

The only place Rootes used rivets, and not on a Series 1 either, was attaching the Vin number and data plates on later cars.
HTH,
Steve

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The only place Rootes used rivets, and not on a Series 1 either, was attaching the Vin number and data plates on later cars.
HTH,
Steve

I believe Rootes also used rivets to hold on the chrome strips around the grille on all the cars, and on the Tiger, the side trim strips. There are also some rivets in the heater and vent assemblies and on the seats and some interior trim items. But the body rivets shown in the picture are absolutely not original.

As for the glass filter on the booster, it's not connected to the brake lines. It looks like someone added an extra filter to the fuel system, and happened to find a handy mounting flange by using the booster's bracket. If you look, that filter gets the fuel pipe from the tank, passes it through and then down to the motor's fuel pump (with another glass bowl and screen). I suspect it was added due to the Alpine's notorious gas tank paint delamination issues, and I think at this point it could simply be eliminated. Just route the tank line directly to the pump and remove and discard that extra filter.

Other notes:
You should also remove that ungodly siren along with any associated wiring/switches... it's a real beast. Once you do, check and see if it's an original "Wolf Whistle"... it looks like it might be... if so, it's collectible and might draw good money on eBay if cosmetically restored.

The ammeter seems to have tape carefully applied to the lower 1/2... not sure what that's all about - perhaps the inner shield - the one that covers the works and says 'Lucas' - is missing?

The shift-knob, clock and volt meter are not original Rootes-supplied items, but are period appropriate aftermarket items which would have been common in the day. The shift knob is likely from Amco products.

One warning about that shift knob, though... if it's what I think it is, it's made of rather heavy metal, and I'd advise replacing it with a lighter knob... these heavy knobs tend to wear the shift forks in the transmission over time since their weight pulls down on the shift lever. There are lots of other period-appropriate knobs available in lightweight wood or leather with a pretty Sunbeam logo... see eBay... here's one that recently sold in wood:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very...015QQitemZ250411489321QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

...and one currently for sale in leather:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vint...001QQitemZ110384732764QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Both of the ones above are period appropriate. The wood ones on eBay currently by Classic Sunbeam are extremely pretty, but i don't believe they are period appropriate. That being said, anything is better than that heavy metal one you have now.

The luggage rack appears to be an original Rootes item, and in rather good condition - these are fairly rare in this shape... keep it!

The upper and lower dash rolls as well as the door panels (cards) appear to have been re-covered in an incorrect material.

The lighter is non-Rootes, and I'm not sure if it's period correct. Looks too old.

Screen washer reservoir is non-Rootes and is too new to be period correct... easy to replace with a correct unit - they show up on eBay all the time.

Considerable non-original wiring and switches under the dash... need to find out what that all does and possibly eliminate it if you can.

Ignition coil mounting appears wrong to my eye... I had thought S1 had them mounted to the valve cover?

Tools and jack in the boot are not original Rootes items.

There are quite a number of relays, in-line fuses and wiring items in the engine compartment that are non-original and will need to be sorted out and likely eliminated.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
On the rivets photographs. I am not sure what is under there. The seam is filled with lead and something under the lead causes a reaction which is what you see. I had this on my series 2 but as this car was restored 20 years ago my memory has faded. It is nothing to worry about.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
Wow:eek:so much info to sort through. thanks for all the tid bits on original and non original. Since I don't have a series 1 engine I can't keep that original but I;m going to try to keep or replace as much to original as possible. Lots to do!!!!!

ladybeamer

Donation Time
How the weeks fly by! Abby is still in need of major help. I've found a british car club in southern alabama with 2 gentleman in my area that can work on Sunbeams. I've got the boss's OK to spend the money since it will save him from turning a wrench. It will be close enough for me to stop by a few days a week to learn a few things, take a pictures and I can possibly help. Not what I had intended when I purchased the car but it will get it up and running. Once up and running I"ll be where I thought I'd be when I purchased it. I'll be able to clean it up, get it painted, redo the interior etc. That might have to wait for cooler weather though. We're in top down weather right now. I got myself perfectly fried riding the bike this weekend. I need Abby running so I can let my daughter drive on our excursions. She'd love to be on the front of the bike but I"m not ready for that yet!

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
It's been quite the while and so much has been found. NO way the car ran when advertised. Water under the bridge.
The cam shaft has to have metal built up and then made correct.
The radiator is shot, need completely rebuilt.
HUGE gap between pistons and cylinder. Already 60 overs. Going to have to put in sleeves and new pistons.
Well I guess that's enough for now. Hope to have more pictures soon.
I'm telling myself it's too hot to ride in a non airconditioned convertible anyway. Hopefully it will be ready by fall when the weather has cooled.

ladybeamer

Donation Time
The radiator is ready. Had to be rebuilt, cleaned and sealed. Appears last owner confused mud with oil!
Crankshaft at the shop to get built up.
transmission going to be pulled, might as well while the engine is out.
One bright spot-fuel tank is clean and rust free!

Going to remove what doesn't need to be there-some of the horns and alarms, rewire and clean it up.

Maybe finished by fall?

ladybeamer

Donation Time
update

It's been a while but still plugging away at it.
Almost Halloween and the little car is still on blocks!
Progress has been made though. I've heard it's cheaper to buy a car completely restored-I believe it now:eek:
Engine is getting new sleeves, pistons, valve stems, etc. etc.
The shop has been great and I hope to have it back in next week or two. have lots of bits and parts new in boxes waiting to be installed once the engine is back. Got a rebuilt started, some NOS gaskets-love the copper:p

Next time I find a "cute little car" i'm going to run fast the other way! :eek: (maybe)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Take heart... you're in the mid-restoration slump - every resto has one. Once you start assembling all those bright shiny bits you'll be on the 'upside' and things will go faster, with more satisfaction coming with each clean screw and bolt being fastened. And yes, you can get them restored for cheaper, but not with your own hands, and the pride that you'll have on completion will be something you'll carry with you always. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Eurospec

Donation Time
Did you buy this car on Ebay? If the seller said it ran and it doesnt I would have complained to Paypal or Ebay, or at least give neg feedback to the seller for misrepresenting it. Id never buy a car on Ebay unless I could check it out first so I didnt get a Pig in a poke and have fix a bunch of stuff for big $$$

Nickodell

Donation Time
When I began Matilda's restoration, in 1980, I began on a non-running hulk (chickens nesting under the hood and mice nesting in the seat foams, been left out for years with no cover and no top, engine with bad crank, pistons, etc., and a destroyed diff) with a real "into battle" zeal, which lasted about a year, after which I was at a dead end trying to find parts (like a complete back axle). Plus the weather got too cold. One of the things that slowed everything was that I was doing the resto myself, on a shoestring (if wifey had heard that I was planning, for example, to pay someone $1,000 to rebuild the engine, it would be "why can't we spend it on the kitchen instead of an old car?")

Then I rented a heated lock-up where I could work year-round, and the next frantic work period lasted all of 5 months. Then a 13-month gap (too busy with work and overseas assignments), and at last, after 4 years, it was almost complete; ready to put on the road but with cosmetic stuff still needed, like scratch-building a wooden dashboard, getting a guy to make seat covers, and a complete paint job. Rear light lenses, etc. etc.

It still goes on, after 29 years. Recently I got the bargain of a lifetime - front and rear bumpers, brand new old stock still in the factory wrap, for ........................ $300 the pair! (I'd been quoted more than that to rechrome one of my old ones).

ladybeamer

Donation Time
nice to know it will end-one day in a galaxy far far away.....

I guess it isn't so bad. I've only had Abby since earlier in the year so I understand I've got a few more years ahead to get her done. I'm hoping to have her running by end of the year but life gets in the way. I'm also trying to get house we bought in June ready to move into by Christmas. I understand about the spouse not wanting money spent on the "toy". Mine would prefer the money go to fishing tackle and hunting stuff. I am debating on selling my Harley to finance Abby-still not sure. I know I'd get more use out of Abby but letting the bike go will be tuff.
I need to post more pics, maybe I'll get to it this weekend after working on the house.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

PS. the car was listed on ebay but didn't sell. I bought it from the guy but not through ebay. I've bought quite a few vehicles, cars and bikes and I've gotten some deals and some not so good deals. It all depends on your comfort level with risk. I happen to be a risk taker-if you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.:)

ladybeamer

Donation Time
The engine is coming together! It's so exciting! Pistons are in, the oil pump has been cleaned, previous owner stripped a bolt and glued it together-why would you do that? :confused:
lower timing gear missing three teeth but not all together. Think I found one though.:)
putting fuel tank back in today.
Maybe it will be ready for the new year?

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
previous owner stripped a bolt and glued it together-why would you do that? :confused:
lower timing gear missing three teeth but not all together.
Maybe it will be ready for the new year?

I am glad you're not getting too frustrated and turned off of Alpines. Considering the entire tale of your car, the previous owner seems like a total hack and even bordering on a dishonest thief. Representing the car as a runner in good shape, when it was obviously nowhere near that, with shoddy shortcuts taken to cover up issues.

One good thing to come of this is once you get it back on the road, you will have the confidence of having sorted most of the car yourself and knowing it is good to go.

Keep plugging away, and good luck.