• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi again. More pics posted on behalf of Faux tgr 66.

Looking good.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 73

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Posting some final photos of the car at the Eagle Mountain Lake marina on behalf of Faux tgr 66. Looking amazing.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 88
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 85
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 74

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks to Greggers for posting pictures. Finally got the car back from the body shop. We give the job an A-. Has a few problems that will get fixed later. Overall we're happy to have it back. Have to decide what to do about a front bumper and the wheels are gonna be changed. They just stick out too much for our liking. Currently they are 15X7 with a 4" offset. Thinking about going to a 15X5 with a 3.5" offset and a narrower tire. That should draw the wheels in about 2". Don't really need the wide tires, they just look better. Gonna stick with the smoothie wheels. They have always been my favorite.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Been having fun driving around town. Was going to today, but it started raining. Sure is nice to have a new windshield. The old one was scratched and pitted so bad it was getting hard to see through. Having difficulty getting the right size tires. The ones we were looking at fit a 5" wheel width, but the tread is still 7.5" and the existing is 8". So that wouldn't help much. Did find some at Coker tires, but they were $200 each. Don't want them that bad. There's a vender that's always at the Lone Star Swap meet in Grand Prairie next month who might have what we're looking for. He usually brings a truck full.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks, rain kept her in the garage today. Seen a Tiger on eBay a few minutes ago. A little rough, but not too bad. Bids at $995.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Putting the new tires and wheels on hold for the time being. Other more urgent expenses have to be addressed with my Alpine fund. Too cold and unpredictable weather to get it out of the garage anyway, so no need for new wheels/tires yet. Posted a picture we took at Texas Motor Speedway in the darksider gallery. Greggers adjusted the picture so it would fit. Many thanks to him for that assistance.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Mustang II

Looks good! What all needs to be done, and what all is needed to use the Mustang II front end? I've read that people have used them, but so far haven't come up with the info on what to do? Mustang II's are plentiful here, so hopefully I'll have luck finding what I need?

Thanks!
-Kyle

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Faux 66, Look at Ford Focus wheels,more positive offset. Alpine bolt pattern. Look like Dunlops with the holes. 14x6 older 15x6 newer.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I will look into those wheels. Thanks for the info. The Mustang II front end on my car was installed with the mustang sub frame and steering as a unit. That's why the frame rails stuck out through the front valance. Been to several swaps meets that had vendors selling the front end as a unit. Guess they are popular on hot rods. On my car the steering wheel shaft had to be rerouted to accommodate the engine and header. It has a u-joint coupling and a stand off to hold it in position. If anyone wants pictures just pm your email and I will send them. I'm going to try to get all the gauges working this winter. Only the oil pressure and temp work now. Would also like to replace the exhaust system as well. It hangs pretty low because it is straight back under the frame. When I got it the pipes stopped just before the rearend with no mufflers. Had them carried back over the rear end wirh glass packs and chrome tips out the back. My to do list is getting shorter, but funds are going to hinder what gets done this winter. Between taxes and doctor bills the Alpine fund is a little bare.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I certainly see what you mean about spark plug access. Mine is similar without as many unions. I'll take a picture of mine when I get home from West Texas and with Greggers expert help get it posted. I can reach all of my plugs with an extension through the wheel well. Probably ought to change them this winter. Have to pull the headers again to stop some exhaust leaks on both sides.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
It's crowded because the engine is a 351 Windsor.
There is now removable access panels to do the spark plugs

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
When you have an Alpine that outperforms a stock Tiger, both on the road course and at a drag strip, why would you want a V8?? My first V6 Alpine that didn´t have the larger 2.9 Valves, had an open 3.89 rear axle with just one wheel pulling, ran 14.52 quarters at 100 mph flat. I had to baby it out of the hole to keep it from going up in smoke.

A 2.8 V6 with ported and polished heads with larger 2.9 valves and dynotuned, will put out 200 + hp., why would you want to settle for less? All you need to do is look at some of the comments made by some of the guys that actually drove "Vader", or got a chance to take a ride in it to see what I mean.

I have several customers that own a Tiger too, that say they enjoy driving their V6 Alpine more than their Tigers. I personally have put away a 289 powered Tiger with ease, with my small valved 2.8 V6. The guy had told me that it had a 260 V8, but I later found out that it actually had a 289 V8. The guy had insulted me before he challenged me to race. He called my Alpine a POS before I beat him. It must have hurt him bad to be beat by a POS.

The only reason I would own a Tiger, is to say I had one, not because it was a better performing car. The only thing the Tiger has, is the V8 rumble.

Jose

p.s. Many guys have them just because they are collectable.

Ever wonder if the folks that do a V6 conversion slap their forehead and say "Wow, I coulda had a V8!"

Last edited:

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
You're right about all that. Since I don't do any racing anymore we just like the rumble the 215 makes going down the hi way. Having never seen a V6 conversion I don't really know what to expect out of one. I truly would like to ride in one someday. If we ever get to go to an invasion maybe we'll get that chance. There are a few around here, but the opportunity to see one hasn't happened yet. Every time I had a chance to own a Tiger I was always a day late and thousands of dollars short. We love Alpining no matter what's under the hood.

coupe

Donation Time
Hey Jose, back in the very late 60's a friend put in a 283 chevy mill into an alpine, we did alot of chopping to do it. it ran like a scalded dog but had the heat problems of the tigers, and it would eat a tigers lunch! But being young we had not the finess to make it look good... it just ran good till the inevitable...
I my self would not cut one up that much again, as you remember I wanted to know if the v6 was worth the trouble of the install. The kit made the biggest difference in the whole process and considerably less pain more enjoyment through out the conversion. The 6 runs fine and has all the punch that little car needs, and rumbles just enough to still turn heads. The v8ers only cry v8 cause that's all they can come up with. I don't knock the 8's I just don't get why they feel they have to make them selves feel better by knocking 6's.
On another note my cousin told me he saw a v6 clone go for 44,000 not long ago, so much for not being worth any thing!!!
COUPE

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Coupe,

Before I even thought about modifying an Alpine, I wanted a Tiger. First because it was Ford powered, next, because I loved the idea fo a V8 in a small sports car. If I had never accidentally done a V6 Alpine, I would always want a Tiger. I still like Tigers, but for everyday use and enjoyment, I would prefer a V6.

I never made the V6 Alpine to race Tigers, rather I built one to beat Porsches. I have had fun racing and beating them. The only Tiger I have raced, was one that challenged me. I just had to shoiw him he was wrong.

I have found that most guys that demean the V6 Alpine, do that because they don´t really know about them. If they were to do one, they would have so much fun building it, that they´d be fans too. When they drove it, they wouldn´t go back.

Sometimes I think the Tiger guys feel threatened, so they don´t like them. There really isn´t any reason for feeling threatened, because the V6 Alpine will never be valued as high as a Tiger. Their investment is safe.

Jose

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Ever wonder if the folks that do a V6 conversion slap their forehead and say "Wow, I coulda had a V8!"

I loved my V6. I built it in 1979 long before I heard of Jose. I could run with the Tigers all day. Unfortunately after a huge amount of miles it was tired in the mountains. When the speed shop,offered me the ford racing long block at a price that Imcould not say no.The price of the long block was cheap,enough but all the rest was what cost me.

The 351.was planned from day one when I built my Lister.I chickened out at
125 MP with lots left

Yes I would build anothe v6 but I don't see it happening

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Enjoying all the posts about V6 vs V8. Was not demeaning anyone with a V6. If that's what you like then more power to you. I've only seen 3 Tigers in my life. Guess I don't run in the circles where the Tigers hang out. Like I said before, we love Alpining no mater what is under the hood. I also seen that clone on eBay that went for 44K and although mine isn't that nice it's getting there bit by bit.