• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
And attached is a visual-aid for the previous post.

Attachments

• FauxStarterSolenoiid.jpg
    FauxStarterSolenoiid.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 142

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks to Greg for posting the picture. You may notice how close the engine is to the firewall. After many trials and tribulations and a little help from the internet I was able to get the Ford solenoid working. Was thinking all I had to do was get the starter to spin and the bendix would kick it in. Wrong! In my haste I forgot GM starters have no bendix. So it spun like crazy, yet no engine turning. So, after scratching a bald spot on my head I got an "oh yeah", no bendix. So I ran the start wire in parallel to the other solenoid. Result was click, click. The Ford solenoid wouldn't work. It somehow lost the ground so the Ford wouldn't work. Ran separate wires and then the GM wouldn't work. Couple of bald spots later and a Bing search found a wiring diagram. You have to put a jumper from the Batt terminal on the GM solenoid to the S post. Still didn't work. So what now? So as a desperate move I moved the Batt wire from the back of the solenoid to the front and BAM! It worked. Turns out with the Batt wire on the back or load side of the solenoid there was no ground to the solenoid. I think at least. By the way, won first place in class at the car show yesterday.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Yesterday was our first day at the Pate swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway. The car drew many lookers and one serious buyer. Don't think anything will come of it but it's always fun talking Alpine. It's amazing how many people say they had an Alpine when they were in college or in they're younger days. Talked with one guy who had a Tiger for 20 years that was all original. He told me there's a man in Keller that works on Tigers and Alpines named Rob Roy. He's supposed to have 4 Tigers. Gonna try and find his shop and see what he has.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Pate was a lot of fun. Next day had to take my wife to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. Now due to taxes, doctor bills and other expenses it looks like we may have to sell our beloved Faux Tiger. Trying to find a way to keep from doing that, so will have to wait and see. Trying to determine what it's really worth. Been driving it around and having fun. Entered a car show a few weeks ago and came in second in class. Went to the gas monkey garage and got to take a tour of the shop and offices. It was really cool. Couldn't take pictures in the back of the shop because it was set up for the show.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
With traveling for work and a 100F garage when I'm home, we haven't had much time or want to to show the car or tinker with it. We wanted to put it in the ASM upholstery/ Ass Monkey garage car show sponsored by a bearing place and Misfit Garage. Didn't get home from working out of town in time to get it ready and drive across Dallas in rush hour traffic to make that one. Ever since I got the Ford starter solenoid working we haven't had any starting issues.
But with a heavy heart we have to sell our beloved Faux Tiger. Mounting doctor bills, along with getting ready to retire, the Alpine fund dried up. So we must do what we don't want. We have placed it on the DFW Craig's List. My brother is handling it and I don't know how to put the link in here. If anyone is interested you can see the listing there.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Faux Tiger is on the way to the new owner in California. Sold it to a fellow in Burbank. Loaded it on the truck today for the journey. Really gonna miss the car, but it's time to move on. With retiring, moving to San Antonio, and doctor bills some of the toys had to go. The fellow that bought it said he was going to pull the engine and interior then sand blast the blue off and paint it red. Then put a 350 Chevy in it and a custom interior. His mechanic explained what a big job that was gonna be and what a unique engine it already has so he reconsidered and is going to rebuild the 215 with a different cam and carburetor. He is going to send pictures as the work progresses to keep me updated. He is not a member of SAOCA but I think he is considering it. It's been fun and I appreciate all the interest in the car and this thread.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
And here's the farewell shot.

Attachments

• FauxingHome copy.jpg
    FauxingHome copy.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 75

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow. Sorry to hear you had to sell. Hope your wife is doing better after the appendectomy.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Faux Tiger is on the way to the new owner in California. Sold it to a fellow in Burbank. ... paint it red. Then put a 350 Chevy in it and a custom interior. His mechanic explained what a big job that was gonna be and what a unique engine it already has so he reconsidered and is going to rebuild the 215 with a different cam and carburetor. He is going to send pictures as the work progresses to keep me updated. He is not a member of SAOCA but I think he is considering it.

Clearly this is a person who likes cars but doesn't know much about them. The current engine is about 200 pounds lighter than a Chevy 350 and the Chevy engine's distributor would be up into the firewall even if he did get it in there.

I think the 350 is a good engine, but I'm more than a little bothered by attempts to install it in every car ever made. Can you say bellybutton? If the 215 isn't enough engine, try swapping in a 4.6 from a Rover. Still not enough? A Buick 300 can be built up to 349 inches. Both engines would use the same motor mounts as a 215 and are the same length, so they should both swap in without drama.

Last edited:

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks, the wife is doing well. Now to get those rascally doctor bills paid. Those sound like good engine choices. The distributor and the extra weight is how his mechanic persuaded him to stay with the Buick. You're right about 350's being poked into all types of cars. I always preferred the 327 in a Chevy and a 289 in a Ford. He asked me if I minded the car being painted red. Told him that since it's his he can do whatever he wants. I prefer the original code 58 blue, which was actually a little darker than what it is now. My first Series V Alpine was the same code 58. Bought it in September of '68 or thereabouts.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
And here's a photo of the Faux Tiger at its final inspection.

Attachments

• FinalInspection.JPG
    FinalInspection.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 80

Cobralee1

Donation Time
New Owner of the Faux Tiger

Hello Everyone-

I haven't received the Alpine as yet but expect to this weekend or early next week. My original intent was to find an Alpine in a fairly stock fashion, then install my 350 Chevy and Muncie 4 speed which I've had looking for a project to install it in I realize it would take a substantial amount of cutting of the firewall, steering column replacement,etc.

That being said, checking the weight of the Chevy vs. Buick, which is actually 275lbs heavier; noting that the current steering column works; and that the Buick 215 has been known for heavy duty work,; I will most likely retain that motor. Since I will be replacing the lopey cam with a mild one, I will be rebuilding the motor since it was installed 7 or 8 years ago with unknown mileage. Although I like speed, it's been my intent that this car will be strictly a nice, smooth running street car and not a racer.

Thanks for everyone's input..I appreciate it and will update the forum with pictures and data.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Welcome to SAOCA my friend. As the new owner of Faux Tiger I am passing this thread on to you to keep the forum up to date on the car's progress. Enjoy the car, it's a lot of fun. The picture of the car being inspected is at a shop where he has 4 Tigers, that are all beautiful cars. He is also a member of SAOCA. Speaking of red, my Grandfather painted his cars red when he got them. Except he didn't mind using a paint brush or spray cans. He said that was a 100ft paint job. It looked great from a 100 feet away.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hello Everyone-

I haven't received the Alpine as yet but expect to this weekend or early next week. My original intent was to find an Alpine in a fairly stock fashion, then install my 350 Chevy and Muncie 4 speed which I've had looking for a project to install it in I realize it would take a substantial amount of cutting of the firewall, steering column replacement,etc.

That being said, checking the weight of the Chevy vs. Buick, which is actually 275lbs heavier; noting that the current steering column works; and that the Buick 215 has been known for heavy duty work,; I will most likely retain that motor. Since I will be replacing the lopey cam with a mild one, I will be rebuilding the motor since it was installed 7 or 8 years ago with unknown mileage. Although I like speed, it's been my intent that this car will be strictly a nice, smooth running street car and not a racer.

Thanks for everyone's input..I appreciate it and will update the forum with pictures and data.
Welcome to the Forum. Please don't be put out by our recent comments, its your car, do what you want want with it. We seem to have only two (informal) rules, be sure you have fun and don't let it end in the crusher.

That said, history has taught us that some ideas are better than others and that some installations challenge the definitions of "in" and "fit".

I still think there are too many red Alpines.:p

Bill

Cobralee1

Donation Time
New Owner of Alpine

Although red is my favorite color on cars, I've decided to keep the Alpine a dark blue, but may change the shade a bit. As for the interior, black seems to be the basic and most common interior color, but I may want to go to a tan interior, which I think is a great combination with a dark color, i.e. blue.

I know that originality is most people's preference and I'm all for that as long as it looks good to me.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Although red is my favorite color on cars, I've decided to keep the Alpine a dark blue, but may change the shade a bit. As for the interior, black seems to be the basic and most common interior color, but I may want to go to a tan interior, which I think is a great combination with a dark color, i.e. blue.

I know that originality is most people's preference and I'm all for that as long as it looks good to me.

Yes, a tan interior (and top) simply looks stunning with some exterior colors. I am particularly fond of tan/dark green. I think black is the usual choice simply because it is readily available and works well with most everything.

Originality is not important on the Modified Forum. We are like you. If it looks good, that is all that counts. One of the most popular threads was of an Alpine that was split in half front to rear, widened 6" and welded back together. There was not one thing on that car that was original, but it was a real stunner.

Bill

Asm109

Donation Time
Two of the most stunning color combos I have ever seen on an Alpine/Tiger are:

The dark blue metallic from a 2000 something Jag XJ8 with tan leather interior.

and

Balmoral Grey with Azure blue Interior.

The Azure blue interior also looks great with dark blue.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
The car has arrived in SoCal and is in CobraLee's possession. I was traveling when the car was shipped. It sure seemed weird to open the garage and, No Alpine! Almost panicked, then remembered I sold it. Didn't take my wife long to fill the void in the garage. Remember friends and neighbors, to stay tuned to this thread for the coming adventures of "Faux Tiger!" Do want to thank everyone for their interest in the car and all the very helpful advice I received while working on the car.