• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I have a '66 series V with a '64 Buick 215CI aluminum V8. It also has a 1990 Mustang 5 speed with an 8" ford rear end. The front end is a Mustang II also. This is why we call it our Faux Tiger. I recently purchased a '65 series IV parts car I found in a local junk yard serial number B 94102390 LRX.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I misstated that. It has a Mustang II 5 speed transmission. Will have to look in the records that came with it to see exactly what it is. I am the third owner since it was modified and I was going by what the last owner said it was. I'm not a transmission guy. Only know how to take 'em out and put them in.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's most likely the Camaro T5, although it could be from an S-10. The Camaro T5 is what's mated to the 215 in my MGB.
Mine is also Non-W/C, so it uses gear oil and not ATF.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks for the info. The guy I bought it from just used and abused it. I will look into it and let you know exactly what it has. Even though we call it Faux Tiger its nick name is THE APE.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
According to the paperwork that came with the car it has a Borg-Warner T5 transmission. So by deferring to people more knowledgeable on the subject, how would I identify it to confirm what I have and what do I have to do to get the speedometer to operate? One failing on the part of the modifier of this car as he did not get any of the gauges to work except the oil pressure and an after market amp meter. The gas tank is an aftermarket aluminum racing tank. It has a sending unit but will not work with the existing Alpine gauge. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Yes it sure is.
Looks like I figured out how to post a picture, thanks to Robbie's tutoring. This is the Buick 215 in my Alpine

Attachments

• Alpine 1.jpg
    Alpine 1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 303

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
More Buick 215 conversion pictures.

Attachments

• Alpine 2.jpg
    Alpine 2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 282
  • Alpine 3.jpg
    Alpine 3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Alpine 4.jpg
    Alpine 4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Alpine 5.jpg
    Alpine 5.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 251

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
More Buick 215 conversion pictures.

What is the ignition box in the first pic? Is it a Crane Cams ignition? How many and what color wires go to the distributor? I ask because I think that is what the 215 in my MGB has, but I didn't get the control box with the engine. I've been thinking of replacing it with the Pertonix.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I will look when I get home this week end. Traveling this week and will check and let you know. Most of the engine parts were bought from Summit and I think I have a receipt for the ignition parts. Will get some better pictures too.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
That is a fact. I have to pull the starter to replace the bendix and the header will have to come off. Can't even see the starter. It be buried deep.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Any chance you could post a picture of the entire engine? I'm curious as to just how tight that fit is.
Any evidence of massaging the wheel wells to get extra side clearance?

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Will be glad to, this week end. There doesn't appear to be any alteration of the wheel wells that I noticed. It has a shaker type intake. The heater and controls were removed to accomodate the air cleaner and the engine bay braces were relocated closer to the wheel wells.