• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Received your photos and they help me to understand your situation. I see no reason why it will not work. Just need to make a few "improvements".

Have you ever determined if the clutch pedal is bottoming against the frame? I would cut a piece of thin cardboard (cereal or cracker box) and use it as a feeler gauge.

Yes, any improvement is heartily welcomed. Someone once said that the world of Alpine engine swaps, a quarter inch can be the difference between success and failure. Truer words were never spoken. Or taken another way, clearance is gained a quarter inch (or less) at a time.

Bill

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
After I get it braced I will try your suggestion. You're right about a quarter inch making a difference. This falls in the category of several small problems adding up to a big one. If you would like some more pictures just let me know.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Added the long bolts to brace the pedal assembly. It took out the flex, but now the pedal hits the mounting bracket. Was able to wiggle the pedal past and got 3/8" more travel from the slave cylinder. Took out the pedal and going to have it rewelded to move the pedal back. The clutch has had problems since we bought the car. Now that I'm getting into it I can see why. While it worked ok I just didn't have the time to address the problem. When it breaks it moves up the to do list for sure. Sent Bill a picture of the brace bolts. Would post it if I could.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Had the pedal re-welded and it moves freely. Adjusted the clutch per Bill's suggestion where it will spin freely and still be in contact with the pressure plate with out loading the throw out bearing. Drove the car around 50 miles and the clutch worked well. So maybe that issue is sorted, as they say on wheeler dealers. Any suggestions for an oil cooler? Looking at several different ones that are sized for a V8. Just trying to find one that is a good fit. Also found out that since the radiator is lower than the top of the engine it should have an air purge in the top radiator hose to purge any air in the cooling system. Looking into a hose that will fit. NAPA had one but it was too long.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Also found out that since the radiator is lower than the top of the engine it should have an air purge in the top radiator hose to purge any air in the cooling system. Looking into a hose that will fit. NAPA had one but it was too long.

Many a Rover 4.0 was ruined because of the top radiator tank being below the engine configuration. Allowing a Range Rover 4.0 to overheat because of air in the system was often a fatal mistake - cylinder liners get loose and then start the tapping. I seem to recall that Tigers have a 'coolant degas' tank strapped to one of the firewall to wing braces. For the sake of appearance, you might try getting an MGB coolant degas tank and mounting it on the wing (inner fender).

Paul

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Also thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. The support from this forum is truly great. The last car show, we were at where the clutch cable broke, had a '63 Buick Special with the same motor as mine and he had overheating issues and was caused by the timing being too advanced. Checked mine and it is way off. Actually think I'm a tooth off with the distributor. Couldn't get it no where near TDC. Gonna have someone who is better at it than I take a look. Entered the car in a moonlight car show at the legion hall. We won in our class last night. It was fun and only 2 British cars. The other was a '68 Sprite. Car drove great with a small overheating problem. The fact that it was 102F had a little something to do with it. The car is going into the body shop to get the rust repaired and painted. Need a right side rocker panel. Any one know the best place to get one? We are trying to decide whether or not to keep the hood black or paint it blue with the rest of the car.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Took the car to the body shop finally. Gonna have all the rust repaired and it will be painted the same color. We are going to keep the hood black because we like the contrast. One rocker panel will have to be replaced. Gonna use the T-Bird grill and the front frame will be cut back and the sheet metal repaired on the front valance. Ought to have it back by the first week in October. They will also replace the windshield while it's there. It will be nice to have a clear windshield. Was going to get the upper grill eyebrow trim, but no one has a new one.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I would like to post some pictures here, but I can't. For some reason they just won't upload in the forum. I do have pictures of the hood. It is finished. They had to repair a couple of dents in it and a few indentations from the previous owner deciding where to put vent holes. He used a hole saw to make four holes close to the big hole in the hood for the air cleaner to stick through. I can email pictures to anyone that's interested.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Finally got the new rocker panel so the car can be finished. If all goes well we should pick it up this Saturday. The T-Bird grill is being fitted and the Mustang II front clip was cut back so it doesn't stick out through the front valance. New sheet metal will cover the gap that was there. Looking forward to having the car back. Weather is just right for Alpining!

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Attached are two photos of the car being readied for primer that I'm posting on behalf of Faux tgr 66.

Attachments

• BootLid.JPG
    BootLid.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Body.JPG
    Body.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 96

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
And here is a tasty before pic (which looks like a hell of an after pic).

Attachments

• FauxTiger66_sm.jpg
    FauxTiger66_sm.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 91

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks to Greggers for posting my pictures. In the before picture you can't see all the chips and cracked paint from that distance. That's one reason we began entering car shows that are at night, and the fact it was 100+ during the day. The car looks really great in the dark! Also we thought it had the original paint, but when they started sanding on it, it had actually been painted 3 times to our suprise. The body shop owner had a death in the family pushing back the delivery date to November 1st. Going over there Saturday afternoon to get an in progress view.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What's the Colour?

What is the Colour of your Alpine? Looks like my '67 SV Comodore Blue 106

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
It has a 58 color code. The body shop got a really close match to the original color(?). It's gonna be a little darker than your car. When they sanded down to the first layer of paint it was really hard to determine the original color of blue, hence the question mark. Guess I should have said its current color.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Couldn't make it to the body shop today. He said he will send pictures and with Greggers invaluable assistance we can get them posted. Putting the car in the car corral at the Pate swap meet in late April. It has to have a sale price in the corral. We do that so we can have upfront parking privilege and able to leave and return. it works out well and if someone comes up with the cash they may be driving home in an Alpine.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Still waiting on the body shop to complete, as they say in England, the respray. It's been painted,oops, I mean resprayed. They are supposed to send some pictures. None yet, though. From what I understand, they are installing the new windshield, hood, boot, and working on the '57 T-Bird grill. Couldn't find a new grill eyebrow. None of the suppliers had one nor none to be found on eBay.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's a pic of the car with paint on it.

Attachments

• Paint_in_place.jpg
    Paint_in_place.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 69