• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. 1

1962 Series II - Random Questions

Random Questions for the group please.... - Are the threads able to be cleaned with SAE Tap & Dye sets? I believe the thread pitches are what I am used to on my big old American made cars; yea? Before I start cleaning out thread holes in the block; wanted to confirm. - The Harmonic Balancer /...
  2. 1

1962 Series II - Oil Rings

I know that the bottom - Oil Rings are a 3-piece ring.... I know that I should be offsetting the top & the bottom oil ring gaps The rings I have received, though, seem to have the top & bottom oil rings are melded together. As in, they do not separate. In other words; if they are designed to...
  3. 1

1962 Series II - Engine Assembly

I just picked up my engine from the machine shop. Time to assemble! I have built several Chrysler big blocks & other domestic motors....but find myself completely intimidated with this small British block! I shall be asking many defining questions & sounding like an idiot along the way, I am...
  4. 1

1962 Oil Pan Drainplug

This is the plug on my oil pan. Is this correct?
  5. 1

1962 Series II - Part Identification Please

Upon pulling & disassembling my drivetrain.... I don't recall what this small angled part is for or where it goes.... Has a portion covered in a rubberized material. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  6. 1

1962 Series II - Release Bearing Fork Finish

Hello, Upon finishing cleaning the grime & grease off of the Release Bearing FORK.... Is the Fork supposed to be left bare OR painted black? Thank you
  7. 1

1962 Series II - Trans. Part Needed

Seeking the following for my Alpine: One of the 1-2 synchro dogs is bad. This part could also be called a synchro key. I have attached a couple pictures of it. The measurements are .217” wide x 1.345” long Thanks!
  8. 1

1962 Series II - Trans Part Needed

Thank you for any help!
  9. 1

1962 Series II - Stock Crank & Bore Sizes

I am seeking what the Standard sizes would have been, NEW for the following: - Crankshaft Size ____________ - Piston Bore Size ____________ Thanks
  10. 1

1962 Series II - Crankshaft Balancer

I am used to the Balancers on my 1962 Chrysler big blocks...they have rubber in them & need rebuilding when I go through a motor. Are the Alpine balancers solid OR do they also need rebuilding / replacing? Thanks!
  11. 1

1962 Series II - Timing Chain Tensioner

Is it advisable to replace the Tensioner Blade & Rubber when doing a rebuild? Just don't know how to tell if mine is worn out. I am, though, replacing the chain & gears. Thanks
  12. 1

1962 Series II - Engine Paint & Finishes

Hello, I have the engine out & wish to know what color and/or finishes the block and other items under the hood were from the factory. Like...I just was cleaning the flywheel aluminum dust shield & it was covered in black paint. Correct or not? The pushrod side cover covered in back paint...
  13. 1

1962 Series II - Transmission Rebuild

Hello, I have pulled my drivetrain and aim to go through it all now. If anyone can recommend anyone or anywhere that can rebuild this transmission in the Southern California area; that would be great. I don't trust taking it to any transmission place & them understanding how to deal with this...
  14. 1

1962 Alpine - Transmission ID

Wondering if anyone can help me identify my transmission with the attached images?
  15. 1

1962 Series II - Clutch Removal

I have pulled the engine & trans out. I have unbolted the trans from the engine. What are the next steps to remove the clutch & other components from the rear of the engine? It is probably quite simple, but reading the shop manual with its terminology is not sinking in. Thank you for any help...
  16. 1

1962 Series II - Pulling Drivetrain

What have people found to be the best method when pulling the Engine with Transmission? Should I NOT bolt the Engine Hoist chain to the aluminum head? Should I pull the head first & bolt the hoist chain to the block? Do I need to pull the water pump for clearance in the front? Any useful tips...
  17. 1

1962 Series II - Stock Header Finish

What is the stock finish for the stock headers? Thanks!
  18. 1

1962 - Series II - Engine ID

Trying to determine what year I have in this car. My overall ID # B9108805 - Made the week of Nov. 13 to 17 in 1961. There are 2 numbers I have seen on the block: - Drivers side at side, base of the block #1980707 30.8.61 - Passenger side behind the fuel pump #8910L Thanks for any help!
  19. 1

1962 Alpine Header Removal

I have the attached headers on this car; no idea if they are stock or not. We have removed the headers from the engine side. We have loosened the exhaust clamps down where the headers enter the Y-Pipes. Is there a secret to separating them? Or do I need a sawzall or a torch? Thanks!
  20. 1

1962 Series II - Driveshaft Removal

Hello, I am getting ready to pull the Engine & Transmission for a rebuild. I am at the point of needing to remove the driveshaft. Visually I can see the driveshaft at the rear axle & its bolts there. Is the normal process to unbolt at the rear axle & pull it out of the back of the car? I...