• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by JJames

1. J

Wheel Size

Are you using the 5" or 5.5" wide? What are you using for hubcaps?
  2. J

Wheel Size

I know I may be going over some old ground here, but I am currently running stock 13" rims that are painted to accent the car color with stock hub caps and I like the look. Due to the rather poor selection of 13" tires these days I was considering moving up to a 14" or 15" rim, but I want to...
  3. J

Leaf Spring Helper

Paul, Are your helpers the ones that go under or over the spring? Any chance you remember the brand? Thanks.
  4. J

Leaf Spring Helper

The rear springs on my SV are getting kind of soft and while the car still rides great when we load up for a weekend the back end sits a little low. I have been evaluating having the springs re-arced, replacing them outright or possibly putting a leaf spring helper on. Anybody have any...
  5. J

Electric Rad Fan

Ken, Did you go with a thermostatic control, always on or a switch in the cockpit?
  6. J

Electric Rad Fan

I have been looking at adding an electric rad fan (pusher) to aid in cooling my SV when bad luck has me stuck in summer traffic. Most of the applications I am finding appear to attach the fan to the front of the radiator with "zip-ties" through the fins. This somehow seems like a bad idea to me...
  7. J

Engine vibration

Last year when I was swapping in an overdrive gearbox I thought I'd change the motor mounts since the engine was out of the car. It vibrated like crazy with the new mounts from SS, so I put the old ones back in and it was fine. Apparently the rubber in some of these new motor mounts is really...
  8. J

steering wheel

What size did you guys use? Any specifics regarding model numbers would be great as well, especially for the one with the Sunbeam logo on the horn button.
  9. J

Rear Axle Squeak

I thought I had a brake issue with a squeak from the right rear wheel. When I pulled the wheel and brake drum, it turns out the squeak is coming from the axle when I turn the hub. There is no visible leakage from the rear end or either rear seal. Is it a bearing? How do I check?
  10. J

Balky Clutch

Thanks, I will do that. Jumpingjan. Nice pictures. Where did the adjustable slave push rod come from?
  11. J

Balky Clutch

Thanks to all. It appears to be sorted. 1. Bled system again, no improvement. 2. When the pedal is pressed to the bottom the slave continues to extend. 3. The master in use is the Wilwood 260-2636, 5/8" bore. It appears that the new slave is more robust, or just operates properly and when...
  12. J

Balky Clutch

Clutch is six months old. This started with the new slave cylinder.
  13. J

Balky Clutch

When I press the clutch pedal, the clutch disengages and all shifting is smooth, unless I push the clutch pedal down the last inch or two, at which point it partially re-engages and shifting is either impossible or noisy (ouch). It is a new slave and a two year old wilwood master. Replaced...
  14. J

Hi-Torque Starter

I just visited Gustafson's website and they list britishstarters.com as one of their distributors and also suggest dealing with their distributors under their FAQs. It's a small world.
  15. J

Hi-Torque Starter

I see an outfit called britishstarters.com has a starter on offer for sunbeam alpines. The specs, price and shipping all seem pretty good. Anybody have experience with these guys?