• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Word of advice re: gear reduction starters

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Saturday we buttoned up the steering on my Sebring tribute car to ready it for transport to my house. I had purchased a gear reduction starter from this company http://www.britishstarters.com/Sunbeam.html because they had advertised that their unit would fit. Well it fit just fine until we tried to turn the car to the left, at which point the steering link rubbed up against the starter, preventing it from turning. The starter body is just too wide to clear the steering. My car is RHD, but we determined that a LHD car would make matters even worse.

So, just like other items supposedly built for our cars and across all Series, don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Guess I should have stuck to the correct stock starter!

Anybody need a brand new gear reduction starter for a Jag 4.2?

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Scott:

When I put one of those on my old Series I racer, I had to re-clock the body of the unit so it would fit properly. It's been a while, but I think I had to reposition the nose cone of the unit. Once that was done, I experienced no problems whatsoever. They're really great units once you get the fitment correct.

Best of luck,

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Problem Solved - Great Customer Service

Andy is correct - it's a clocking issue. I emailed the company this morning and promptly got a response from David Austin. He wanted to call me to discuss. Gave him my cell #, he called right away, and he pointed out the same thing - the unit is adjustable, which should solve my problem. He has sold a number of these units to Alpine guys with no issues.

Didn't know it was adjustable, so I'll try that and report back. I just need to move it upwards a few inches to make clearance.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought the starter for the Buick 215 V8 that's going into my MGB from them. They have been very responsive to email and questions.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
You have to get the clocking issue right and you are good to go I used one on my Alpine for lets see 5 years and no problems.:cool:

Mike snyder

Donation Time
At the risk of hijacking this thread...Are gear reduction starters needed on a modified engine? They are very expensive and I am wondering if it is really worth it.
Mike Snyder

RootesRacer

Donation Time
At the risk of hijacking this thread...Are gear reduction starters needed on a modified engine? They are very expensive and I am wondering if it is really worth it.
Mike Snyder

I used to think it was, turned out my battery was always flat from non-use sulfite damage.

If you have a lot of compression 10+/1 ratio and a mild cam, you may need some extra power to start.

If you have compression and a moderate to race cam, the cranking pressures are low enough that functional stock starters start just fine.
My own setup uses 9.5/1 CR, twin webers and a 285 degree cam and it cranks just as fast as a stock engine.
You also have to make sure your ignition timing is not over advanced or even a stock engine can crank hard.

Your mileage may vary.