• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield Seals

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I will soon be replacing the windshield seal on my SV. I last did this job 30 years ago and the rubber is so dry and cracked that I will soon lose the stainless trim if I don't do something about it. Both of my most recent acquisitions came with windshield seals. The SV parts car seal came from VB and I am pretty sure the S3 seal came from SS. However, IIRC the seam on the last seal I used was heat sealed together so that it was just one continuous piece. Neither of these seals is joined at the bottom; they are just one long piece. I assume they just wrap around the glass and get cut to fit. Are they any good? Does anyone sell the circular one anymore? Is it worth the effort, given that I already have two in my garage?

Thanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, my seal was like yours, as well as being 24 years old. Since I am cheap, I used it. Put the joint in the center at the top and sealed it as best as I could. Have not had the opportunity to test it, but I see no reason it should not work fine. I showed it to Ian prior to installation. He just shrugged his shoulders, said it was the proper cross section and it would be better than the old rotten one.

Bill

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Windshield seal

Bill, Maybe you should come here to test the seal. The forth of July we always get rain:cool: .
The Pumpkin WILL be on the asphalt today.:):D

Chuck
In Clackamas, oreygun

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, Maybe you should come here to test the seal. The forth of July we always get rain:cool: .
The Pumpkin WILL be on the asphalt today.:):D

Chuck
In Clackamas, oreygun

Its not like we have not had the rain. Lately we've had rain about 3 days out of 5. I do not have the top installed. Does not look like it will fit, but that is another sad story.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I used a specialty black sealant when I installed the current seal. Does everyone just use silicone today?

gearheadgirl

Donation Time
I just finished my series 2 windshield sorta...There is the continuous piece that runs around the glass windshield. I ordered on from MacGregor but they are waiting for other orders to do a run of them. The rest of the windshield rubber I ordered from Sunbeam Specialties. I reassembled the windshield with the original windshield glazing (the piece around the windshield itself) without sealer. It seals with the pressure. I used sealer for the rubber going down the stainless that is up against the A Post. Of course I will have to doit all again when I get the new glazing piece.
Jennifer

bbonner

Donation Time
seal replacement

I have to replace mine as well. Is this a daunting task. I understand that the windscreen has posts that come out of the body. It is also my understanding that this hole thing has to be removed to replace the rubbers. Any direction you can give will be appreciated. I too bought the rubber seals and it is just one long piece of rubber.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've used both the one long piece that VB sells and the heat sealed continuous SS sells. It's a bit easier with the SS seal since it has molded corners to make it fit better.

As far as actually replacing it, yes you need to remove the frame from the body to replace the lower seal. You don't have to for the winshield to frame seal, but it sure makes it easier. You can also check the frame and repair/repaint any rust damage hiding under the original seals. I also have used a small amount black silicon in the corners and bottom to keep water from working it's way under the seal, not so much when new as for later on as it ages. It's not a difficult job, although getting to all the nuts to remove and reinstall the frame can be a hassle.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'll use a bit of black silicon widshield sealre, primarily in the corners and just a little everywhere else to keep it from opening up any as it gets older.

Drnobeam

Donation Time
Windshield removal

How are you guys removing and replacing the windshield from the frame? Are you taking the frame apart or using the rope method? The frame is 4 pieces.

When I replaced my windshield and rubber (7 years ago), I assembled the frame around the windshield with the new rubber on it. It was hard to do.

The windshield has started to delaminate in one corner, so I may be doing the job again one fine day.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The later frames are a one piece steel design rather than the chrome on brass multi part earlier one. So the assembly of the glass into the frame is different. I personally do the later one by placing the weatherstrip on the glass, set in the opening, then work the outer edge of the weatherstrip over the flange of the frame. Then install the stainless trim.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used the technique that Mike uses. My twist was to use the bottle opener end of a "church key" beer can opener to work the rubber over the frame. The multiple bends give perfect access to the seam. I also used Goop to lube the rubber. It works real good and does not make a mess.

Bill

Drnobeam

Donation Time
Thanks guys. Can this technique be used on the earlier frame? I cannot tell you what a bear it was to assemble the frame around the windshield.

Happy 4th to all!

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've never done an early frame so I honestly can't say if it would work. My guess would be no but like I said I don't really know.

Derek

Donation Time
I found the long strip seal to be a large pain so I measured it against the one piece that came out of the car, cut it to size and superglued the ends together. This helped a bunch. If I do this agian and SS has the one piece seal I'll buy it. Yes and getting the frame off of the car is less fun than pulling the gas tanks, I found that haveing the seats out, a long 1/4" socket extension, swivels and deep sockets to be the only way I could reach. Putting it back I put a drop of super glue in the socket to keep the nut from falling out as I fished blindly under the dash for the studs.

Derek

rnimares

Donation Time
My metal strip around the windshield is coming lose, it looks like it should slide into some grooves in the rubber gasket but unable to do without the metal strip popping out. Do you have to use a sealant to secure to the metal.
this is on a Series IV.
Rick

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early Windshield frame

Thanks guys. Can this technique be used on the earlier frame? I cannot tell you what a bear it was to assemble the frame around the windshield.

Happy 4th to all!

What I found when doing my Ser.II is that it is necessary to take a small amount of rubber off the seal[outside edge] at the point where screws holds the frame together. Otherwise when the the screws are re-tightened it will create enough pressure internally to crack your wind shield. Believe me, that is really good information to know. Also, save yourself a lot of agony and get 2 buddies to assist. It is worth a case of real good beer.