• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Will collector car price$ drop in the future ?

SumBeans

Donation Time
Anyone that is into the collector car scene has more than likely heard of Ron Pratte.
Ron is one of the buyers that bank rolls Barrett-Jackson by paying stupid money for almost anything on wheels.
Today I read on another forum that B-J will be selling off his collection at next years AZ event.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1948853

Uhmmm, anybody else see a collector car market price adjustment in 2015?
I have always liked the man for his generous charity payment$ for cars of several great organizations ,:D

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Anything doesn't surprise me anymore. I thought hot rodding was dead back in the '70s, I was wrong. Today the prices are crazy. It doesn't make any sense to a normal person. I guess people have money and they invest in classic autos, instead of the stock market?
Jan

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't think we'll ever see prices of collector cars drop like the model A's and T's did. Unlike the T&A's, 50's and 60's cars have a general appeal to younger people. I sold a bunch of cars last year at prices I never thought I'd see. The price I paid ten years ago for a restored Alpine is happily paid today for a rust free body that basically needs everything. I doubt demand for the classics will fade. Unlike the first cars made, the "era" cars have appeal to generations yet born.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I don't think we'll ever see prices of collector cars drop like the model A's and T's did. Unlike the T&A's, 50's and 60's cars have a general appeal to younger people. I sold a bunch of cars last year at prices I never thought I'd see. The price I paid ten years ago for a restored Alpine is happily paid today for a rust free body that basically needs everything. I doubt demand for the classics will fade. Unlike the first cars made, the "era" cars have appeal to generations yet born.

I think you have a surprise coming john,.... the general appeal to younger people would be a very small sample group.. the 20 year rule applies... when a guy hits 40 he wants the car he couldn't afford when he was 18-25... im mid 30's now and that's why all the cars from the 80's and early 90's .. turbo porsches and audis.. ferrari testarossas, 328's, f40's and hot hatches 205gti's renualt 5 turbos etc are climbing in value.. as are 80's historic race cars.

Id say 90% of my generation while perhaps having a passing interst in the cars dont really want to own them... values will peak when the guys who knew them as new to 10 year old cars get out of the market... at that point they will either fall a bit or hold steady... but inflation of other things will technically mean they are losing vale...

I say enjoy them... encourage younger peoples interest in them... To many times i have seen so called life long sunbeam people be disrespectful to younger enthusiasts or down right discouraging... our marque doesn't have the luxury of continued production and exposure like some others... so if you turn younger people away.. that's the end of it

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm pretty much in agreement with Michael.

However, I think the old, old cars tumble in value was aided by the fact they really weren't drivable on modern roads and traffic. The current crop is. That will help them hold value.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Cars

What it really boils down too is you need to find the buyer and Ill agree most of the younger people are not that interested in these cars great to look at but!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I didn't see any explaination as to why he's selling his collection. Did I miss it?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
[
I say enjoy them... encourage younger peoples interest in them... To many times i have seen so called life long sunbeam people be disrespectful to younger enthusiasts or down right discouraging... our marque doesn't have the luxury of continued production and exposure like some others... so if you turn younger people away.. that's the end of it[/QUOTE]

Well said Micheal

I have and always have enjoyed talking to the younger generation about hte cars

SumBeans

Donation Time
I didn't see any explaination as to why he's selling his collection. Did I miss it?

I have read different articles on the size of his sale but not the reason for liquidating.

Ron's collection set many record prices at auction hence the statement " paying stupid money for anything on wheels"

Without Mr. Pratte bidding and paying record prices , a common consensus is that many cars in the collection are going to re-sell at a loss.

No, Mr. Pratte does not roll B-J , but he surely has spent many millions at their auctions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPES8hxU4dM#t=177

Many people have mentioned that his museum is more impressive than Jay Leno's collection.

Last edited: