• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

West Coast Invasion: LOOK!

bing

Donation Time
There has been some discussion about the possibility of hosting a West Coast Invasion event. I have spoken to our president and he agrees that we should proceed to the planning phase to determine if this is something we can do. This is what we have so far: the event would be open to all Rootes vehicles, it would be held in the summer over a weekend, the location would be the California central coast in the general area of San Luis Obispo. This area is a magnet for car clubbers because it has so much to offer. But first we need to determine the level of interest of our membership. So here's the question: WOULD YOU BE LIKELY TO ATTEND IF THE EVENT FIT YOUR SCHEDULE AND YOUR BUDGET? If this is doable for 2017 we need to move quickly. Thank you in advance for your response.

john.hemsath

Diamond Level Sponsor
Summer?

When you refer to Summer, what month/days are you considering? I recall in a previous thread about this invasion, that late May or Early June was being bantered about which sounded like a better timeframe to be in SLO than Summer.

I'm up for whatever gets arranged btw even if I have to use UBER to get there!

john.hemsath

ps. thanks for your efforts. Let me know if I can be of any assistance also.

Last edited:

bing

Donation Time
Hello John,
With respect to summer, at this late in the game for 2017 you would have to consider May - Sept. It would all depend on the number of participants and room availability. San Luis Obispo (SLO) doesn't get that hot in the summer.Paso Robles does. The ideal location and perhaps the most popular is Cambria. It is right on the ocean, great back road driving, wineries everywhere, Hearst Castle, etc.

bing

Donation Time
Hi Jim, I am SURE I will need help. The first thing is to get a head count of participants. Thank you Jose for your response. Networking within the group encouraging others to participate would help. Also the Tiger group should be contacted to determine their level of interest. As for other Rootes people, I don't know how to get in touch with them. Maybe someone does. Thus far we have about 5 positive responses.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
A headcount would certainly help move this forward.

What type venue are we talking about here? I'm envisioning more of a cruise around weekend, sightseeing, sharing, etc. Certainly some shine/show time, but not a "carshow". I'm personally looking for the chance to see a line of Sunbeams cruising down the backroads, stopping for breakfast, pulling into the "burger joint" or whatever and just having a bit of fun with these little cars.

I would imagine some would have a few spare parts to bring and sell, but that could be done out of the trunk (OK Boot).

Some would/could bring a few tools for any tech, or instructional information they might want to share.
OK, who doesn't have a bunch of tools in the boot of their Sunbeam when traveling? Tools, oil, duct tape, AAA card.

I think some thoughts on what we're doing for the weekend would possibly stimulate some participation. Not thinking about any rock solid schedules. What do you all think?

bing

Donation Time
What you are envisioning is pretty much what I had in mind, certainly for the first effort. Nothing too formal. The area in question is VERY scenic. A short trip on a neat back road will lead you to the ocean, a winery, or an historical sight. Everything you mentioned is simple and doable. The camaraderie aspect would be an important ingredient. Everybody chime in!

john.hemsath

Diamond Level Sponsor
Happy election day

In honor of the day, I CAST my VOTE for wine tasting! As long as we don't overdue it and all end up in jail...can you say DUI?

All the other things you mentioned, cruising back roads, sharing stories, getting help from others, vis a vis, technical items, parts swapping/selling/donating all make perfect sense to this relative new owner of an Alpine.

john.hemsath

bing

Donation Time
Welcome, John!
Looks as if we are beginning to see similar ideas regarding the direction we want to take this. Could be the start of a neat thing.
Bing

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am glad you guys are working on this, I think it will be great. I will be there, coming from Bakersfield. I have room in my garage for a Sunbeam and room in the house for the driver and passenger, if someone wants to take a break for the night on the way over to the Invasion.

Ashfried

Donation Time
I'm In

Jim,

This sounds great and I would love to come. Count me in, barring any work schedule conflicts.

Ash

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Only 15 rooms? Wonder if there's another about the same size nearby? Think of the photo ops.