• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Conversion

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Well, I have officially started the V6 conversion and with today's work, I am committed. The old motor mounts are gone. Just fiinshed grinding the old welds away and tomorrow will be cleaning the crossmember and painting it. I'll post as I go. My plan is to be done by the end of March.

Attachments

• Crossmember.jpg
    Crossmember.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 51

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
By all means do all work necessary BEFORE putting in the engine.
It was after test driving the V6 that I learned of the slack in the steering gear box and now I just have to live with it or spend much time or $$ to remove the slack. Most things like rerouting the brake lines was done before installing the V6.

Best of luck and have fun.

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Today was clean the engine bay, paint the crossmember and tackle the steering crosslink. The crosslink caused a brief panic as one of the posts stayed frozen in the steering arm, left behind by the link. Walked away for a bit thinking after I sprayed Liquid Wrench on it. Vice grips - no good. Decided to try Stiltson (monkey) wrench. Success! Turned it about an 1/8th of a turn and it came out. Whew! I had bad visions of removing the steering box (it was on that side) so I could get to it. So, small success and minor progress.

Attachments

• Crosslink.jpg
    Crosslink.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Got the internal release bearing set up today. Measurements were a challenge, hopefully I have it right. Tuesday should be trans install day. Progress!

Have I read right that the T5 uses Dextron II oil?

Attachments

• transmmission.jpg
    transmmission.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 33

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Got the internal release bearing set up today. Measurements were a challenge, hopefully I have it right. Tuesday should be trans install day. Progress!

Have I read right that the T5 uses Dextron II oil?
I thought that the World Class used Dextron II, and the standard T5 used gear oil.
But paragraph 2-4 in the link below says most T5s use Dextron II.
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

Found on mondern driveline.
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

One last piece of important information. ALL World Class T-5 use ATF (Dextron III) oil and NOT heavy gear oil or Redline MTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 50 wt gear oil. (The original Ford/Borg-Warner recommendation back in 1984 was Dextron II. As this is no longer available, we and TREMEC recommend the 50 wt gear oil.) We recommend high quality Synthetic oil as it lasts a long time and over a larger operating temperature. It is important to change the oil in your transmission based on how you use the vehicle. If the vehicle is your daily driver then changing the oil every two to three years is fine. However, if the transmission sees regular track duty and pushed hard, then once or twice a year is in order. When we rebuild transmissions, we can tell when the oil has been changed often as the parts are much cleaner with less over all wear. There is no filter inside the manual transmission only a magnet at the bottom to pick up the metallic particles in the oil, the only metallic parts in a transmission is the gears or bearings. Oil is cheap, transmissions are not!

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Depends on which T-5 transmission you have.

Dextron II was originally specified for non-world class T-5 transmissions, but it has not been made in a long time. IIRC, 50W gear oil is the closest available product.

World class T-5 transmissions use ATF and any reputable brand of synthetic or non-synthetic ATF is OK.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Warren, Another possible task for you and the T5 before you close it up, is you may want to look aT THE SPEED-O-METER Gears you have? Are you running stock Alpine Gauge? After martket? Electronic? GPS? What rear end and axle are you running?

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
PER Borg Warner
T5 World Class tranny uses the AFT
The standard T5 uses 40wt oil!

65beam

Donation Time
Depends on which T-5 transmission you have.

Dextron II was originally specified for non-world class T-5 transmissions, but it has not been made in a long time. IIRC, 50W gear oil is the closest available product.

World class T-5 transmissions use ATF and any reputable brand of synthetic or non-synthetic ATF is OK.
Dexron II was replaced by Dexron III in 1993. Dexron III spec continued until 2005 when the Dexron VI spec came into use. You'll find many different brands and prices. As long as the fluid meets any Dexron spec you can use it. Dexron VI is backwards serviceable with anything with the Dexron spec. There is no need to pay for a high priced fluid from the specialty blenders since Dexron VI is a synthetic fluid .

65beam

Donation Time
NO, I did not mean Dexron IV. Dexron VI is a synthetic fluid that can be used in place of all previous Dexrons and has been the required product for GM since the 2006 model year vehicles. I don't know of an SAE 50 gear oil in a non synthetic. The spec may have been an SAE 50 engine oil. The lubricant for present day heavy duty truck transmissions is now a synthetic SAE 50 product that may be blended using a hydrocarbon base stock ( Dino Oil ). Prior to the new spec requiring a synthetic 50 trans oil an SAE 50 engine oil was used. FYI , the 50 engine oil has the same viscosity as an 80/90 gear oil. I always check the manual to see what the recommended lube is. FYI, don't use this synthetic 50 in an engine. Keep in mind that not all synthetics blended today use a PAO base stock. Group 3 base stocks changed that world. Lubes can be a complicated world.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
You must have seen my reply right when I posted it. I deleted it after researching Dexron VI, and found your reply referring to it was not a typo. I should have done that first. I was thinking they would have gone from III to IV (which the did, but there were problems). Also noted your correct referral to Dexron, not Dextron.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

Last edited:

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Monday I visited DanR down in South Carolina. It was even nice enough of a day to ride my bike! Dan is a pretty smrt tinkerer, so I picked his brain and took pictures since he had his V6 out of the car.

Today I mostly got the transmission positioned. It may need some tweaking, but because of the internal release bearing, I only had to cut a new place for the shifter. Tomorrow I will drop the engine in to get the positioning for the engine mounts. Now I just need to remember to put oil in the transmission before I get too far ahead of myself.

Cheers,

W2

Attachments

• trans front.jpg
    trans front.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 77
  • shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 75

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is there any particular reason you opted for the internal hydraulic release instead of the external cylinder and lever?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
W2, Remember "if" you ever plan to use a manual transmission gear drive you may need to make a little endenture in the tranny tunnel for clearance:)

In the PIC :
7073-98d419a2425240e74bd875f5ed12c330.jpg

the Hyd Feeder and bleeder lines might be a bit too close to the header collector? Take a close look when you are figuring the side clearance before tacking the engine mount bottom pieces.

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Is there any particular reason you opted for the internal hydraulic release instead of the external cylinder and lever?
Yes, I wanted to leave as much of the tunnel intact as possible. My access to welding and fabrication is limited. So far, so good. I got it all centered this morning and back far enough.