• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Conversion update - First Fit.

kmathis

Donation Time
Thanks for the comments, guys;:D I welded in the clutch stop tonight but don't look too close. This is only the second time that I have attempted to weld something.
I just wanted to be sure that I didn't do something stupid and ruin my clutch pack; :eek:I have read a few stories about that and didn't want to take any chances.

Jose: I drive it everywhere, anytime there was an errand to run the V6 came out of the garage. Hole in the tunnel and all. I guess I should start thinking about fabricating a cover for the trans tunnel; it is starting to warm up here, it was about 85deg. today and the heat coming up throught that hole is really something.

Dwain: That is what I am going to do as well, some high temp paint and that ought to do it. I will post a picture from the side of the car; I haven't done that yet.

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Kelly,

Beautiful installation, and the sound is just awesome! I can't wait to see your car in person one of these days . . .

Garet

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I followed the V6 Jose method of adjusting the valves and they are as quiet as can be.

What is that? Is it just bringing each cylinder up to TDC and then adjusting?

Also, how did you determine how far below the axel to hang the pipes so they don't hit on spring extension?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

You only need about 1.5"-2.0" clearance between the axle and the exhaust pipes, because the movement of the rear end is usually up, not down. The only way the rear end goes down, is if you take a severe bump at speed, that causes the car to be thrown up off of the suspension. If the car is lifted up by the frame, the rear end will just rest on the pipes, without doing any damage. I don´t personally like to see the pipes hanging way down under the rear axle, when it isn´t necessary.

I have posted my method of adjusting the valves on the 2.8 V6 a couple of times on this forum, and don´t want to bore some who have already read it. I will send you a pm with every detail of how I do it. That way you will always have it in your records.

Jose

Also, how did you determine how far below the axel to hang the pipes so they don't hit on spring extension?

kmathis

Donation Time
Kelly,

Beautiful installation, and the sound is just awesome! I can't wait to see your car in person one of these days . . .

Garet

Garet:
you don't live that far from me; we should get together soon, in fact I think we should all get together soon.... all West Coast V6ers and any others that would like to get together and talk Alpines. No matter stock or modified; even Tigers!
What do you think?:D

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,

You only need about 1.5"-2.0" clearance between the axle and the exhaust pipes, because the movement of the rear end is usually up, not down. The only way the rear end goes down, is if you take a severe bump at speed, that causes the car to be thrown up off of the suspension. If the car is lifted up by the frame, the rear end will just rest on the pipes, without doing any damage. I don´t personally like to see the pipes hanging way down under the rear axle, when it isn´t necessary.
Jose

What about on cornering, how much body lift (or sway I guess) is there normally.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

To get the rear end to drop 2", you´d need to have the car practically on it´s door handles. The springs are in closer to the middle of the car by about 8"-10", and the exhaust pipes are another 3"-4" inside that. so the outside of the car would need to rise about 12" in order to drop the axle to where it would touch the pipes.

None of the guys that have used this method of placing the exhaust under the axle have complained about any problems. I don´t know how much clearance the Tigers have there, but I would venture to guess it isn´t more than that.

Jose

britbeam

Donation Time
How much ground clearance do you have when running the pipes this way?

Bill

Bill on my car I have the pipes installed in the same manner and the center of my X member will touch before my pipes will. Im still using 13" wheels also so I dont believe he will have any issues with the pipes as they are installed.
Dwain V6 Krazy

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Garet:
you don't live that far from me; we should get together soon, in fact I think we should all get together soon.... all West Coast V6ers and any others that would like to get together and talk Alpines. No matter stock or modified; even Tigers!
What do you think?:D

Kelly, I couldn't agree with you more! I am taking off April 18-20 to work on the Alpine with my dad, want to meet up for breakfast/lunch/dinner on any of those days? Offer open to everyone, we could meet somewhere in central OC. Can't wait to see it!

Garet

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

Kelly is using 2.25" pipe, and he says that the center of the cruciform is still lower than his pipes. The trick is to mount the pipes as close to the body, so that they don´t restrict ground clearance. To get away with having them so close to the body without the pipes touching the body, is to put mounting points at the front and the back of the pipes where they run under the rocker panels.

I designed the headers to mount the exhaust system in this manner (down, back and pointing to the outside). I think it is the easiest and cheapest way to do it. If the Austin Healy 3000 can run the pipes visibly, I think the V6 Alpine can too.

Jose

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,

To get the rear end to drop 2", you´d need to have the car practically on it´s door handles. The springs are in closer to the middle of the car by about 8"-10", and the exhaust pipes are another 3"-4" inside that. so the outside of the car would need to rise about 12" in order to drop the axle to where it would touch the pipes.

None of the guys that have used this method of placing the exhaust under the axle have complained about any problems. I don´t know how much clearance the Tigers have there, but I would venture to guess it isn´t more than that.

Jose

The MGB runs the same way, but there are I guess you call rebound straps between the rear axle and the body.

kmathis

Donation Time
Dwain and Jose are correct; the cruxiform is actually lower than the pipes, that was one of the criterias of the install that I didn't want the pipes lower than the cruxiform.
When the wheels are hanging free on my lift, there is still clearance between the axle and the pipes.
Garet: I will be unavailable on the 18th and 19th, so I will figure on the 20th. I will send you a PM when it gets closer.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,
I have posted my method of adjusting the valves on the 2.8 V6 a couple of times on this forum, and don´t want to bore some who have already read it. I will send you a pm with every detail of how I do it. That way you will always have it in your records.
Jose

Please do.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hey Mike,

Please send me your e-mail so I can send you the valve adjustment instructions. I sent you a pm, but don´t know if it got to you.

Jose

Hi Robbie,

Please send me your e-mail also, so you can have it for your records in the future. Having said that, you may have a problem with a worn rocker, where either the adjusting nut is loose, or the hard facing has worn through and is wearing, or the shaft is worn and is wearing to the point where it allows the rocker clearance to grow. I would consider putting rebuilt rockers and shafts on your engine.

Jose

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Jose,

Can you send me a copy as well? You have my email.

Thanks,

Rich

Hey Mike,

Please send me your e-mail so I can send you the valve adjustment instructions. I sent you a pm, but don´t know if it got to you.

Jose

Hi Robbie,

Please send me your e-mail also, so you can have it for your records in the future. Having said that, you may have a problem with a worn rocker, where either the adjusting nut is loose, or the hard facing has worn through and is wearing, or the shaft is worn and is wearing to the point where it allows the rocker clearance to grow. I would consider putting rebuilt rockers and shafts on your engine.

Jose

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dwain and Jose are correct; the cruxiform is actually lower than the pipes, that was one of the criterias of the install that I didn't want the pipes lower than the cruxiform.
When the wheels are hanging free on my lift, there is still clearance between the axle and the pipes.

Damn!! I wish I'd known that a week of so ago. I fabricated an exhaust system out of prebent shapes and spent untold hours snaking the exhaust up and over the rear axle. Its a jungle in there.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robbie,

I just remembered about a situation I had with the turbo Alpine. I had used the same push rods for years, and the cups where the rocker ball fits, had worn and the valves kept losing their adjustment. Maybe you should check the push rod for that valve, to see if maybe that is your problem. Anyway, it is cheaper to check the push rods, than to rebuild the rocker shafts and rockers.

Jose

Please post. I have the same rocker that gets a little loose every couple months.