• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Can't Keep Running

BRZDAD67

Donation Time
HI All,

I"ve got a 1967 Alpine with V6. I've finally got everthing replaced, and it does run. Problem is that it will run for 15 - 20 seconds then quit.

Prior to trying to start I pulled the tanks, boiled and resealed. The fuel pump and filter are both working correctly, even the filter at the carb is clean and flowing.

All of the external lighting works fine, turn signals and flashers are working, but the dash lights don't illuminate.

I did notice there's a wire bundle that when it sags, the car shuts down, no electric at all. There's also a large green colored, shunt, or heat sink, that gets very hot as the car stops.

I've changed the points, plugs, wires, but still have the coil that came with the car. When it's running, it runs well, but as soon as the green piece heats up the car shuts down.

I'm looking for anyone that can give me some advice on how to fix. I plan on rewiring the car over the winter, but need to car running now.

I've looked at the series V wiring diagram from the site, but I think the previous owner took some liberties with wiring this and using some of the Capri harness. Like I said, when it runs it seems to run fine, but it only runs for 30 seconds at most.

I appreciate the blogs, but would really appreciate talking to someone with some answers. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brzdad67
678-372-8478.
Jamie

RootesRacer

Donation Time
2 things:

1) Be sure you have a ground cable going from the chassis to the engine, this is a common problem.

2) Whatever is powering your ignition, separate the power and run it yourself (temporarily) back to the battery. Prove the engine will run this way, then figure out whats wrong with the power feed that is getting hot.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
When it quits running, will it fire back up? Or will it only seem to catch while the key is in the start postion and quit as soon as you release it? If it stops when you release the key, it sounds like the resistor is bad and going open when hot. This may be the green piece you are talking about. When is this green piece and where does it run to? Could also be a fusable link that is failing when hot. I had this happen on a Datsun pickup.

BRZDAD67

Donation Time
Mike
Thanks for asking. I work out of town, and haven't been able to work much on it. Plan on doing some troubleshooting this coming weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again for asking.

Jamie

miket

Donation Time
Hi Jamie,

I had this problem at first. My carb is a Holley and the problem was a stuck needle valve. basically the engine would run out of fuel. I could keep it going by pouring gas into the carb.

Advanced auto sells the basic Holley parts. A new needle valve and a gasket set (about $20) and it was running like a charm.

BRZDAD67

Donation Time
Carb kit on the way

Thanks Mike,

I did some troubleshooting last time the engine quit. First I checked the distributor end of the coil wire to make sure I had spark. Good on that end. Then I cycled the throttle at the carb, and didn't see any fuel into the throat. I've purchased a rebuild kit. My daughter (Breanna - Bree) are going to rebuild it together this weekend. I'm sure this will take care of the problem. I'll post again when it's running.

Thanks again.

Jamie
BRZDAD67

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike,

I did some troubleshooting last time the engine quit. First I checked the distributor end of the coil wire to make sure I had spark. Good on that end. Then I cycled the throttle at the carb, and didn't see any fuel into the throat. I've purchased a rebuild kit. My daughter (Breanna - Bree) are going to rebuild it together this weekend. I'm sure this will take care of the problem. I'll post again when it's running.

Thanks again.

Jamie
BRZDAD67

Any progress?