• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Cam specs

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Jim
Are your numbers reversed torq & hp

Could you run these specs and see what it will do

valve lift 464 .464
duration 265. 266
cam lift 318.318
duration 232
lobe center 108
10-1 compression ratio
ported heads larger valves from Racer Walsh
390 holley
long tube headers
and all the other goodies
Please
Dan

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, They are reversed! I was in a hurry before work. I need the IN and EX Open and Close numbers and I can do it tomorrow.

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Ok Jim
better hold off on that I will have to go on a scavanger hunt tomorrow to find index card I know I have it BUT WHERE
Thank's Dan

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Hi Jim
I found the index card (phew)
New info
2800cc v6 ford
grind # EP 20
valve lift .480
dur .266
lash .018 intake
.020 exhaust
intake open 11 intake close 40 exhaust close 4 exhaust open 47
gross cam lift .320 duration 231 lobe centers 108 every thing else same as last post
Thank's Dan

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, Your cam has more duration and overlap than Mike's. 3.5 Advance built in. Surprisingly the Dynamic ratio @ 7 .6 may require you to back off and slow down the advance curve. 9.5 to 1 may be better with your cam. 13" vacuum @ 1000RPM. 6.5 Power valve. Lopey idle. 204 HP @ 5500RPM. 200TQ @ 4500RPM. What cam is this?

Last edited:

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Thanks Jim
It is a Engle cam EP 20 that I have in 1 of my motors that I have not fired yet
it was Their street strip cam . They had or have 3 more . The next was a strip or race cam EP 22 10-1 or higher .
The next 2 were race only .
I have 1 that has the numbers that I gave You in the 1st post
It is lumpy and would not idle below 1200 rpm until I got a Jacobs Omni Pak ignition system then it would idle at 650 .
But is still LUMPY
could You use the numbers I gave You before using the intake and exhaust numbers
Thanks Dan

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, The only difference is less lift at .464 vs .480. Not much difference. I personally think the V6 heads give up at about .460 anyway. If I had a 2.8 V6 I would design a custom cam with .230 @ .050 IN, .210 @ .050 EX duration, .460 lift. 4.0 Advance ground in. 9 to 1 compression. Ported heads. 2.9 intake valve, stock exhaust valve.

Last edited:

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Thank`s Jim for Your Time and work and advice . Too late for cam change engine in car now I need to finish It`s the 1st car I ever owned had it for 40 + years 5 rebuilds need to enjoy
Thank`s again Dan

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, No problem. I like playing with the program. The lower lift actually gained 2HP over your chart and my "custom" grind gained 5HP. I think the little V6 is about maxed out there. More duration and /or overlap just destroys the idle quality.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike, A small displacement engine will not be a torque monster. The 2.8 is only 172 cu in. You can advance the cam if you figure out a offset key, but that will raise the dynamic compression and octane requirement. The guys with 8.5 -9 to 1 have a little more room. A stock cam will lower the torque curve but will have less peak TQ and HP. For that small of motor to have around 150FTLB @ 2000RPM and up (peak 196TQ) with the Racer Walsh cam is pretty good. A 302 Ford say, has 300FT LB compared to a 455 Buick with 500 FT LB for perspective.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I wish to thank you for the trouble you go to for our benefit on helping with our "Cam" questions,

Your help with my Commodore Blue V6 has enabled me to relax a bit:)

Now that I have removed the Delta jose I have it for sale $50 plus shipping! It has about less than 1K. It is for the early 2.8's (small cam journals. The other one (Brand New in the box), I have is for the Late 2.8's (bigger cam journals) $70.

My engine is almost back together! Finishing up with the Ofy intake. Had to mill the sides and clean the bottom.

The Comp 36 241 4 you ran for me hopefully will be a blessing, again many thanks,

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, Glad to help! You will love the Comp cam. Remember to have a power valve in the Holley 390 about half the vacuum @ 1000 RPM.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I'm looking forward to having "some" vacuum at 1oooK:) Hoping to have the engine back in very soon so I'll be ready for the March 24 Meeting in Columbia, SC

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I wish to thank you for the trouble you go to for our benefit on helping with out "Cam" questions,

Your help with my Commodore Blue V6 has enabled me to relax a bit:)

Now that I have removed the Delta jose I have it for sale $50 plus shipping! It has about 2K miles or less. It is for the early 2.8's (small cam journals. The other one (Brand New in the box), I have is for the Late 2.8's (bigger cam journals) $70.

My engine is almost back together! FInishing up with the Ofy intake. Had to mill the sides and clean the bottom.

The Comp 36 241 4 you ran for me hopefully will be a blessing, again many thanks,
Dan,
Are you including the burnished lifters with the used cam?