• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Cam specs

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is the spec card for the cam going into my V6
It is between stock and race, so you get more oomph but still drivable!

From American Custom Cams here in California

Bruce

Attachments

• CamSpecs.jpg
    CamSpecs.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 38

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Looks good on the simulator. I'll do a chart tomorrow, going to work now. Flywheel HP = 192HP @6000, 188TQ @4500. Should have around 14" vacuum at 800RPM idle. Initial timing 12 degrees, Total 32 @ 3000. Probably around 165HP at the wheels. 6.5 Power valve in 390 Holley.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I put in mild porting, Offy intake, 390 Holley, 2.9 valves, 9 to 1 compression. Then I run it through a analyzer. There is a large library of real Dyno test and other simulations from Performance Trends. Your cam is straight up. I would like the specs even better with 4 degrees advance ground in to lower the power band a little.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, It does. Here's the chart. View attachment 9559
So what would need to be done to move the torque to lower rpm?
I have the 2.9 crank, .030 over, 2.9 valves, ported/polished heads, Offy intake and Holley 390.
Headers. Guesstimate 10:1 compression ratio. Not sure of the actual combustion chamber size.
With 74 MII pistons expect close to 0 deck clearance.

What results does the Jose grind produce?

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, No, just comparisons. My experience. There were two actual dyno results, both stock motors. There were six cams, two stock replacement, Wolverine Blue Racer(Crane) and the three from Comp Cams. To get over 200HP out of a 172 cu in motor you would lose low end and not be very streetable. You want more midrange power. 160-190 is attainable. That would be at the flywheel with no accessories and open headers. Probably 130-160 at the rear wheels.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I ran the same cam at 4 degrees advance and max HP went down to 5500RPM and max TQ was still at 4500RPM, but higher and flatter from 2000 to 5000RPM. I think the Jose cam duration is high for the street. More of a top end cam. I wouldn't go much higher than 220@.050 for the street. My program also show higher duration on the IN does improve power on a custom grind like Jose's.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,
Which cam at 4 degrees advanced, Bruce's or the Racer Walsh cam?
Could you post the graph with the advance?

For anyone else:
Who is using the Delta Jose grind without issues? What mods? How is the idle and engine performance?

I'm just having a problem wondering why problems have not presented themselves before Dan's and Kelley's issues.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike, I just moved the parameters on Bruce's cam. Look at the chart above and starting at 2000RPM move the blue line(TQ) up to just under 160 and at 4500RPM flatten it out to 5000RPM.The HP peak moves down to 5500RPM. TQ goes up a couple, HP goes down a couple. Some people like the top end high RPM power. Lower rear gears, more carburetion and timing at idle help mask the loss of low end. I need to know the Racer Walsh IN and EX Open and Close to see if the advance is ground in or not. Camcraft has a similar cam and does custom cams also.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I contacted Racer Walsh and was told there is no advance ground into the cam.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike, It will probably work great for your motor with the larger displacement and higher compression you have.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, No, just comparisons. My experience. There were two actual dyno results, both stock motors. There were six cams, two stock replacement, Wolverine Blue Racer(Crane) and the three from Comp Cams. To get over 200HP out of a 172 cu in motor you would lose low end and not be very streetable. You want more midrange power. 160-190 is attainable. That would be at the flywheel with no accessories and open headers. Probably 130-160 at the rear wheels.
Jim, I was just curious how radical the cam would have to be to attain the 200 hp Jose promoted.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, Jim,Mike, I started removing my 2.8 with the jose grind cam from Delta today. It should be completely out some time tomorrow.

The cam is going to make a great door stopper hopefully! I am installing the Comp Cam Jim ran a report on.

Heads will be pulled and emission ports filled, drilled & tapped for 10mm 1.5 bolts/studs. Ram Clutch internal hyd release bearing will be replacing the external slave and the mount bracket along with a Mutt II bellhousing without the bell crank helping to gain more clearance between the transmission, the tunnel & frame. Adding the Tiger exhaust bracket for thru frame exhaust (Duals) and new mufflers. If it doesn't run, at least it will sound nice:)

And finally I get to add the Electric Power Steering after waiting more than a year:)

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I did a chart on Jose's cam in the older thread and it did produce over 200HP at the flywheel with no accessories.. That is with open headers, Offy and Holley 390, larger valves and ported heads. Definitely a top end cam, but not the best for stoplight to stoplight.