• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tires

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Perusing the Black Friday inserts, looks like Sears has "Patriot" P175/70R13 tires on sale. 4 for $100, installation etc may be more. Good until 11/26. A cheap opportunity to get new rubber in 13" size. Happy Thanksgiving y'all! David

65beam

Donation Time
Mark,
Try Sears.com . They're 30 K tires made in Singapore and good for regular driving. I bought a set of them last week and stashed them away for future use.

65beam

Donation Time
Do what I did. Buy the tires and take them home. Mounting is not required to buy them. You could also get someone else to mount them for less if you don't require lifetime balancing and rotation.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Still, a bit over $50 per corner including mounting and disposal of old tires, plus tax. Better than the $175 Vredesteins. Wonder if the tires last longer than Sears does? David

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Seems the price of tires is ruling this page almost
Bought winter tires an rims for our new car
Tires were on sale for $180 a piece. Had to have the best as the car has only
4000 K as of yesterday

65beam

Donation Time
When we picked up the 69 GT in 2006 I found a set of JC penny A78 / 13 snow tires with studs in the trunk. They appear to have never been on a wheel. The car was parked in the garage in the early 70's and had not been out until I pulled it out so they have to date back to that time. They're stacked in the storage garage with some other tires . Anybody want to buy them ? Cheap!

celerity1

Donation Time
Has anyone tried a larger tire or larger wheel/tire combo so the engine isn't screaming at say 65 mph? Low end power seems plenty adequate!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Has anyone tried a larger tire or larger wheel/tire combo so the engine isn't screaming at say 65 mph? Low end power seems plenty adequate!

Many owners fit 14 and 15" panasport and similar wheels. Depending on profile and width you can keep the stock gearing or increase it.

On my alpine I run 14" with 195/65/14 on the rear and 195/60/14 on front. With 3.89 diff and overdrive it's a very comfortable cruiser

celerity1

Donation Time
Not having overdrive (God how I wish I did!) I sure appreciate your response. Where can one find those wheels? Are they expensive? I'm fixing up a 67 SV that's identical to the one we had while dating, honeymooning and starting a life together. It will be ready for our upcoming Golden Wedding Anniversary. No, our first one didn't have overdrive either but I hardly noticed back then!
Eldon Helmer
Prescott Valley, AZ

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm fixing up a 67 SV that's identical to the one we had while dating, honeymooning and starting a life together. It will be ready for our upcoming Golden Wedding Anniversary.

Pretty cool Eldon.

At a car show this summer I returned to my Apline to find an older couple, probably in they're late 60's, standing together staring at my car. They said it was the first time they had seen a blue Alpine just like the one they spent they're honeymoon driving around in. It was a highlight of that show probably not only for them, but for me as well. (my only regret later was that I should have had them sit in it so I could take a picture for them)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Funny but

There is a weekly car show by the Redondo Beach pier and the only thing more fun than taking pictures of the German frauliens, is pictures of the kids with their dads and helping to infect them before it's too late.....

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Eldon,
Panasports are probably going to set you back at least a grand. I bought mine used with tires from an Alfa owner (most 60's rear wheel drive Alfa's had the same bolt circle and reasonably close offset).
If you are on a tight budget, 4 bolt 14" Ford wheels from 80's Fairmont & Mustang also bolt right up. I ran them for several years. You should be able to get them for $10 each at your local junk yard. I found a 3.89 rear plus 165/80-14 tires to be a major improvement!

TR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There was an Alpine at the South Carolina (I think) Invasion that was wearing 165-15's on wire wheels from another Brit (Big Healey?)car. The owner was very happy with the result. Sure looked like an Alpine with business in mind.

Bill

Hodee

Donation Time
Some may find this hard to believe but, I have 215/60/15 on front and 225/60/15 on rear. Very slight rear wheel well lip trimmed and front valence trimmed as well. This is on a 67 ser V. The wheels are by VTO a panasport lookalike with 24mm offset and 6 in wide. Car sits a bit tall but highway speeds are very possible with no overdrive and tolerable revs.