• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger V Alpine

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am writing this as a new thread but it relates to another topic on the board.

I'm still trying to work out the kinks so I can drive it more daily...(see more brake issues)... Expedition vs Sunbeam...... at these gas prices - it's not a difficult decision. I could drive the Tiger but it gets about the same mileage as the Expedition.......1000% more fun factor per mile though! :)

I now own both Alpine and Tiger, both modified. Now though I have limited miles on the Tiger I can honestly say, the Alpine is every bit as much fun to drive, just in a different way. As a day to day driver in traffic the Alpine is probably a nicer car. The steering is much lighter and sharper, the clutch is friendlier and you can actually go up and down through he gears without losing ones license. As for fuel consumption, well when I ditch the DCOE's it will be very respectable (it’s now not that much better than the Tiger). Don’t get me wrong I really love the Tiger, but despite what many have said the Alpine will be staying in my stable for a long time to come.

I think it’s natural to compare the 2 cars as they look the same, but in reality are different cars for different purposes. I don’t understand why some owners would look down at others, or why some think one is less of a car they are both great car, I’m just happy now I have the choice.

Enjoy drivnig your Sunbeams!

Oh and to the V6 guys... well you know exactly where you sit.. the best of both worlds?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oh,

Just to clarify,

I am not saying burgy711 is looking down at alpine owners, or saying he is saying the tiger is better than the alpine. I know he is saying from his post he would prefer to drive his alpine than the Expedition, and how the Tiger is more fun than the Expedition.

I was just reading his post and started to think about all the rhetoric I have heard between Alpine and Tiger owners over the years and how silly it is.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, the rhetoric can get get out of hand, but I think that the situation was summed up at Invasion I: Tigers were welcomed, but they were lined up down the hill BEHIND the Alpines. I think that made Ian feel good, even though he was sick as a dog.

BTW, the person that introduced me to Alpines the second time around, was in total agreement with your observations. He was a Tiger owner, but stated that the Alpine was a much more "fun" car in daily driving. In fact, I think he envied the Alpine's ability to cross a speed bump without loosing its exhaust system.

But don't get me started about a sports car needing to be a street car, able to negotiate any road. You came very close, be more careful in the future.:D

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
I have also been lucky enough to have an Alpine and a Tiger in the family and a recent addition of a Fastback Rapier (Have'nt driven it yet). They are definitely both fun to drive and have their own unique traites. I absolutely love the resposiveness and the sound of the roaring V8, but the steering lets it down while the nimble and reasonably quick Alpine are soo much fun to drive. Both are very comfortable, but for a long trip I would choose an Alpine due to the foot space (more relaxing). I don't know how this effects the V6 fraternity.

Regards, Robin.

O

odl21

i recently bought a tiger. i was also looking at algers and v6 alpines. but i didn't consider the stock alpine just because theres not enough power to keep me grinning. i was brought up in england with tons of underpowered classic cars and the the chance to have something with more than 100hp was just too tempting. espeically since i ended up with a 300hp size 10 shoe!

power aside, i love the alpine though.

napa 1

Donation Time
Ok, since we're on the subject, since I've had the alpine on the road, a week or so now, I get lots of long looks, questions, cheers, thumbs up, everyone wanting to get a closer look, etc. But..how do you long time Alpine owners respond to the narrow minded guy who comes up all excited..."is that a Tiger" , and then seems disapointed when you explain that it is actually an Alpine? This happened to me last night, and I wanted to go into the whole Alpine speech, but didn't.

O

odl21

you should be happy he even knew what a tiger was.

the closest i got to anyone knowing what my tiger is was sitting in traffic with my 302 burbling away at 700rpm and a guy walked past and asked if that was a 260.

and one guy driving a v8 mustang in a gas station in southern illinois knew what it was.

nobody else knows anything about it despite never having stopped for gas (which is quite often!) without someone asking about it. most just ask what year it is. actually it gets quite annoying having to repeat the same info all the time. especially when people just drive past and shout questions at you. am i supposed to shout the history of the tiger back?

i'm considering just ignoring people now unless they show evidence of knowing something/anything.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Both of you have good points. It seems that over the years the questions at least are getting more specific. 20 years ago all I ever got was "Is that an MG or a Triumph?", to which I replied "neither". Then I had to explain what a Sunbeam was in relation to those two marques. You should see the looks I get now when I drive the Humber.....

Nowadays, at least most have it narrowed down to a Sunbeam, but it's always "is that a Tiger?", and the look you get when you say no, it's an Alpine. Sort of like "oh, well I'm sorry you have leprosy, poor you".

Alpine Bob

Donation Time

Nowadays, at least most have it narrowed down to a Sunbeam, but it's always "is that a Tiger?", and the look you get when you say no, it's an Alpine. Sort of like "oh, well I'm sorry you have leprosy, poor you".
Most of the remarks I get from "is it a Tiger?" are the Detroit Iron people that usually think of V8 power, not of anything else. Then they just walk away. Oh well, it's there stu****** and loss.

O

odl21

but i wish i knew where you find all these people who know what a tiger is...

65beam

Donation Time
is it a tiger

when people ask me ,IS THAT A TIGER ?,i like to tell them that the tiger never existed.only in the U.S.was the alpine 260 called a tiger and i know the reason why just as many others do.the tigers are no different than a harrington.they are highly modified alpines.the tiger is a name given to the alpine 260 by a group of west coast hot rodders.what more can be said?the truth is the truth.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Tiger vs Alpine

I have had this discussion before--I think the wise person realizes they look alike but are very different in personality--two very different cars each serving a different need. I think to add to the confusion should't we compare the Harrington to these other Sunbeams as well?
Best,

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Rootes wanted to use the Tiger name especially after Lord Rootes drove the Shelby prototype that Ian Garrard brought back.After driving it he had this to say."This is a Tiger" Unfortunately Merrschermitt owned the name Tiger for the european market and I believe it was a truck model. Hence the Alpine 260 designation. In 1964 the Tiger was sold and advertised as a Sunbeam Tiger in North America
I imagine there are some who will say this isn't so but thats how the story goes.

pdq67

Donation Time
When comparing the Tiger to Alpine driving experience, most folks you are usually talking about today's typical Tiger with a 302 and lots of power. Unfortunately, when you add power to a Tiger, you magnify the car's original shortcomings (Over-heating, weak brakes, and terminal understeer). A box stock 260 gets excellent gas mileage on regular fuel, drives very smoothly, and, except for the dreaded understeer, is very much like driving an Alpine. It just sounds better and you don't have to shift as much. My current Tiger has the mandatory 302 with some go-fast goodies and is a pain to drive in traffic on hot days. Early in the morning on an open road with the top down is a way different story. The only problem is melting the rear tires in low gear. A problem that puts a big grin on your face is OK with me.

As far as people asking if your Alpine is a Tiger, just tell them what they want to hear. "Yeah man, it's a Tiger MKIII with a 600 hp big block. I'll sell it to you for $100K. What do you mean it doesn't sound like a V8? That's my special F1 exhaust system. Sounds pretty cool, doesn't it"

lemansvk

Donation Time
I have to confess that if I could afford a Tiger there'd be one in the garage. But I'd still have the Alpine. On the other hand I do have a car that is faster than a stock Tiger, sounds great (5 litre V8) and is recognisable as a classic to most Australians. My 1984 Brock Commodore is now worth more than when I bought it 13 years ago and will continue to appreciate.
Vic

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
As was being discussed in the other area, the nice thing about a Tiger is that for the same restoration dollars spent, you end up with a car worth 4x the money.
The other is the "Oh, it's only an Alpine" mentality.
More people know about the Tiger than there are who know about the Alpine, they just had more exposure.
Owning both is nice, driving the Alpine on a daily basis is the better choice.
Won't ever be without one of each, and a V6 too at some point.
Ian used to have a Tiger, if I recall, he doesn't care to own one again.
Been there, done that.
It's all just a matter of PERSONAL opinion. We just all need to not care what anyone else thinks and be happy with what we have.

65beam

Donation Time
tiger /alpine

over the years ,we have looked at many tigers.the problem being that every time we got serious about buying a tiger ,some oddball alpine showed up and we ended up with the alpine.these oddballs are such things as the two harringtons ,an early series 1 , four 69 alpines,etc.from my time driving tigers early on,i would probably get aggravated if i owned a tiger at this time .i would lose my patience with the usual problems of the tiger.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting debate,

I like the point about the fact most tigers are modified and not a true representation of the car as it was. My Alpine used to be stock, and i feel it is a better car for my personal tastes as it is now, as for my Tiger, i wanted a modified one, and it is a modified one.

I have been in dead stock tigers, and they do still have cooling issues. I think they are a great GT car, but in some ways less sporting than an alpine, due to the handling being inferior and masses of torque not requiring gear changes. Modified they become more of a drivers car, but yes, less friendly on the streets.

Either way... i think they are both great cars. Alpine guys, if you get a chance, go for a ride, or take a drive in a Tiger, they are fun. Tiger guys, take an alpine down a twisty road!