• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Elusive Pulley

dmich2

Donation Time
That number would be D5ZE-8509-AC. But gooooooood luck. :rolleyes: When I searched last year no one had them. I've seen them from time to time on eBay. There is suppose to be an obsolete Ford parts place in the Midwest but my mechanic said even they didn't have it.

If you find a stash let me know. I need another.

Dennis

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Sam,

Try looking at dedicated Mustang wrecking yards. They still have some Mustang II parts, and who knows, you might get lucky. You should be able to find several on the web. I'm not very good at looking up things on the web, so I can't really help you.

Jose :(

Jim E

Donation Time
Have a buddy who maybe can turn these for us in aluminium. Let me put that another way he can do it the question is will he....

dmich2

Donation Time
Sam. I've also heard of some buying a 2 grooved pulley. As long as one of the grooves/beltways :confused: whatever it's called, lines up with the other pulley grooves and clears the frame it should work. Seems to me I read where someone even removed the unused groove somehow.

Good luck.

Dennis

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Sam. I've also heard of some buying a 2 grooved pulley. As long as one of the grooves/beltways :confused: whatever it's called, lines up with the other pulley grooves and clears the frame it should work. Seems to me I read where someone even removed the unused groove somehow.

Good luck.

Dennis

I have removed the extra pulley a couple of times.Actually a machine shop did it.They also formed a lip.Very nice.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I've spent probably 20 hrs. online and on the phone trying to track one down. Can anybody give me the dimensions of this thing? I have several Ford pulleys and may be able to modify one to fit.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis,

Some of the Mustang II's came with air conditioning and they came with a double pulley. The crank pulley for this arrangement was a dual groove pulley, but the outer groove could be unbolted so you'd end up having a single groove pulley. The Rangers also came with double groove pulleys, but the crank pulley is a single piece, so to remove the outer groove, you'll need to have the outer groove turned off on a lathe. The water pump pulley can't have the same thing done to it, because it is a pressed steel stamping, so if you cut it, it will fall apart.

I think Jim's idea is a good one. The more of these aluminum pulleys we might have done, the better price we would get.

Jose :)

Jim E

Donation Time
Pretty sure the Ranger/Bronco water pump pulley will not fit the MII pump.

I know where there is a set of pulleys, on a Capri. I will try and go look today. Thinking to get both pulleys and the timing cover unless it is a non smog motor then will take the entire engine. Been awhile since I was at this yard hope the car is still there. Oh and I am assuming the Capri carries the short pump. Right Jose?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Pretty sure the Ranger/Bronco water pump pulley will not fit the MII pump.

I know where there is a set of pulleys, on a Capri. I will try and go look today. Thinking to get both pulleys and the timing cover unless it is a non smog motor then will take the entire engine. Been awhile since I was at this yard hope the car is still there. Oh and I am assuming the Capri carries the short pump. Right Jose?
Hi Jim,

Yes it does. Any car that was made from 1974-1978 1978, will have the correct tiing cover. The ranger water pump pulley will not work, because it is deeper than the Mustang II, as you said.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Could somebody tell me the diameter and height?

Sam

I have two different ones, so I am not 100% certain, but I'll tell you what I can. The first, which I got from a junk yard and is labeled "1974 Mustang II 2800 V6" measures 5 5/8" across the pulley and is just a hair over an inch deep. However, I don't think that is actually the correct one. The second, which I bought on eBay following an earlier discussion on pulleys, is 5 9/16 (give or take a hair) across and 1 7/8 deep. I am pretty sure this is the correct one, but am also sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I've got the extra pulley (stamped, single-groove) off the crank pulley assembly (bolted to the the cast, single-groove pulley--what they call the harmonic balancer). It's about 5 and 9/16 and 2 1/4 deep. The holes match up with the water pump's. Wonder if I can use shims to get it to line up with the crank pulley. I use only the cast pulley with the timing marks on the crank, right?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I've got the extra pulley (stamped, single-groove) off the crank pulley assembly (bolted to the the cast, single-groove pulley--what they call the harmonic balancer). It's about 5 and 9/16 and 2 1/4 deep. The holes match up with the water pump's. Wonder if I can use shims to get it to line up with the crank pulley. I use only the cast pulley with the timing marks on the crank, right?

Hi Sam,

You are correct. You only need the inside part of the pulley. The one that has the timing marks on it.

The real problem with the pulleys, is the water pump pulley. The one piece two groove pulley, from the Ranger/Bronco II, can have the outer groove machined off, so either crank pulley will work. I think Jim's idea of having a water pump pulley made from aluminum would be great. It would lessen the need to gook all over creation to try to find one. If enough guys wanted them, the price would be even cheaper than what some guys have paid to get a stock pulley.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
From what I can tell, the Mustang II pulley does not exist, nor does the Capri or Pinto pulley. You should hear the abuse heaped on me by used parts dealers when I describe what I'm looking for ("Do you really want me to go through all my pulleys and measure them?"). The Ranger and Bronco II pulleys don't seem to be around anywhere either.

Question is: do any of the regular Mustang or Ford pulleys measure about 5 9/16" and are around 1 7/8" deep (so that they could be shimmed)? If there are, one could take one of these to a machine shop, have the center hole drilled out to match the water pump stem, and then have four holes drilled to match the flange. Maybe someone knows.

It's driving me nuts. Holding up the whole engine assembly.

I think it would be great if Jim's friend could fabricate them and add them to the conversion kit. I'm working from a Ranger/Bronco II long block. Mustang II 2.8 engines are few and far between, and parts for any 2.8 (I paid over $10 for that silly distrubutor clamp) are few and far between. If things get worse, I'll have to don my mosquito-proof biosuit and head into the Southest TX junkyards.

Sam

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
My pulley saga, and a word of caution.

1. My 2.8 is from an '86 Ranger. After hours of scouring, I couldn't find a crank pulley from a MII. On advice in this forum, I had my trusty machine shop guy cut my 2 belt crank pulley down to one belt groove. I put it on my engine, and slid the engine in for a fit check after I finished all the eng mount work. Imagine my surprise when the pulley contacted the front cross member and kept the engine from sitting on the mounts. Things that make you go HMMMM??? Much, Much re-measuring ensued, but all was well with the mount installation. It could have easily been solved by a small mod to the front xmember, but I didn't want to. $10.00 for machine work. I don't critize the advice!!! I learned there are several different pulley styles to figure out.

2. I found a MII pulley on the internet and ordered it. I came as just the pulley, without the hub portion that slides over the crank snout. Who knew to ask if they had both parts? not me.... Called and the AP yard didn't have the rest. $35.00 for a pulley I can't use.

3. I stumbled onto a real live MII crank pulley and installed it, fit check for proper clearance and all went well. Rewind to the first BII pulley. On comparison, the BII is about 1/2 deeper between the belt grove and the end of the pulley than the MII, thus the reason for the interference. $20.00 and a happy face.

Lesson. Measure the pulley between the belt grove and the end of the pulley that slides over the crank snout. 2-3/4" vs 3-1/4" = Interference at the xmember. Oh. And I have 1 and a half pulleys for sale.

P.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I now have two extra Mustang II water pump pulleys. Single groove. $30 each. PM me if interested.

G

gn204

D5ze-8509-ac

G'day guys,

Just joined the forum as during a clean up of my Boss 302 Mustang bits and pieces, I found a D5ZE-8509-AC pulley. I google'd it and that part number bought me to this thread.

If you are interested in buying it before I hit ebay with it, spear me an email (its below my name) and let me know what you would give me for it. I'd rather give it to people here via this forum than sell via ebay.

Regards Sean
Sydney, Australia.
BossKraft@hotmail.com