• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Soft Top Problems

RHFG

Donation Time
Got no soft top cover with my SV car so bought a new one. Can anyone tell me exactly how it fastens? I have removed the padded roll that goes all the way around the top of the back stowage panel. This is aluminium and held on by 8 NC 1/4 bolts that bolted through from the back. Removing this pad reveals 9 small bracket/slots covered by it, anyone know what these do?

Also I see there are small downward pointing spikes all the way around, are these to hold the bottom edge of the 3-piece zipped cover and does it sandwich in between the padded roll and the back panel.

Just to make things more ticky for hood stowage the hood has been fastened at the sides with the side mouldings, are there any domes to go on the inside or is it just left to the the 2 on the outside flap that go out onto the body? I would've thought the wind would have those side bits flap around if not fastened. I can see why installers make the mistake of putting the bottom flap of the hood behind all 3 of the mouldings.

steven

Donation Time
You should have got instructions for fitting the top. Do not attach the rear of the top under the 2 side alum strips. with mine, I was told to stretch it over the frames, make sure even on both sides. Attach the rear loosly under the rear alum strip. checking it for square, at the front fix adhesive strips to hold the material to the front bow and then turn it over to fix the front under the channel that takes the seal. when happy with that use contact adhesive to glue the front of the material under the front bow. Replace the rubber channel. keep checking the side sections for correct fit. When happy with the fit, return to the rear and loosen the rear alum piece so you can tighten the top (not to much) and then refit the back piece. The last things you do is fit the 2 lift the dots either side at the rear for the rear side pieces.

I am sure others can help, it is some years since I fitted mine.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Soft top

Start the top installation at the middle two bows.....they should line up at the seams in top..then fasten the top sides at side window outlines..loosly fasten the rear with srews thru the long allum piece...(the pointed tabs are for the vynal boot).. Then starting from rear middle of the long allum strip loosen one screw at a time...pulling tightly down on the fabric and then reinstall srew (forming new hole) ...then move on to next screw...working way from center to sides.....leave material flapping at short side rails....lastly fasten at windshild seal...figure length...then fasten under rubber holing metal strip while frontyt bow is unhooked.....when done...fasten front bow clamps to make top tight......when all done...cut excess at front....add velcro at window tops if needed.....DO NOT put rear sides of top behind the short allum brackets (if you do top will not fold down properly)...thatsa the way i do it...Mike

RHFG

Donation Time
Thanks guys, it's actually the soft top cover that I'm fitting that covers the top when stowed down. The new cover comes with some press studs to fit in the various positions but I'm not sure what holds the bottom edge of this cover and what the spikes and bracket slots do at the top edge of the rear panel.

agmason54

Donation Time
SV soft top problem

The spikes or barbs hold the three pieces in place. The clips hold the waist roll in place after you 'snag' the main sections. Crude and simple.
Agm

ed peters

Donation Time
Start the top installation at the middle two bows.....they should line up at the seams in top..then fasten the top sides at side window outlines..loosly fasten the rear with srews thru the long allum piece...(the pointed tabs are for the vynal boot).. Then starting from rear middle of the long allum strip loosen one screw at a time...pulling tightly down on the fabric and then reinstall srew (forming new hole) ...then move on to next screw...working way from center to sides.....leave material flapping at short side rails....lastly fasten at windshild seal...figure length...then fasten under rubber holing metal strip while frontyt bow is unhooked.....when done...fasten front bow clamps to make top tight......when all done...cut excess at front....add velcro at window tops if needed.....DO NOT put rear sides of top behind the short allum brackets (if you do top will not fold down properly)...thatsa the way i do it...Mike

i had my top installed by a local glass shop....while up. the top looks great , but when i try to put it down it seems bound up and doesnt want to go all the way into itself....

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
i had my top installed by a local glass shop....while up. the top looks great , but when i try to put it down it seems bound up and doesnt want to go all the way into itself....

This sounds like a classic case of attaching the side flaps inside the top behind the side windows... these should NOT be attached, and if they are it will inhibit lowering of the top and can actually damage the top.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Also, with those cover flaps, for the large center cover, there were two straps that connected to the front edge (sandwiched between the roll, the cover and the metal wall), with hooks that hooked into holes on the back edge, and in the middle were these snaps of sorts that would attach to the middle section. It would hold the cover up when the top was up.

I have a pair somewhere from my SV. But my SV became a S3 GT after a crash and my other Sunbeam has the metal doors.

Jay

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, Jay, I think you can buy those straps, complete with snaps and hooks, from SS or one of our other preferred vendors... I don't recall who exactly had them, but they're out there in their catalog. The straps are made of Pirelli webbing and deteriorate in heat, so most of the ones you find are perished.

On edit:

Yep... SS had'em. Link: http://www.rootes.com/Catalogpages/p20.html

STRAPS WITH HOOKS FOR VINYL TOP BOOT, PAIR. FITS ALPINE V & TIGER IA, II -- #AT70 -- $36.85pr