• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII suspension Armstrong to shocks

Shabazz

Donation Time
I am in the process of working on my rear suspension and am wondering about an issue with the rotted rebound straps.

I am planning on converting to a V6 and would like a solid rear end before I start that process. As I inspect my rear suspension I see the straps are shredded and rotted. I am replacing the bushings and rubber wraps on the spring binders and am contemplating modifying from the Armstrong’s to shocks. I’m not sure of the value in that, though I’ve read many posts that rave about it.

If I modified the suspension from Armstrong’s to shocks would that mean I would no longer need the rebound straps? I may have found some rebound straps to purchase from a different site, but they are made for a different car and I’m not sure of the fit.

I’m not really sure what is necessary, but I have the car up on Jack’s and have removed a leaf spring already and figure I’d like to do it right since I am going to the trouble…

your advice is appreciated.

Pete

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pete, Doug Miller (Bullduram) is better at providing you with knowledge of the early Series Alpines.

He and I have been in discussions for a while about me doing the Shock Mount brackets.

My Draftsman/Engineer/Laser Guy (Larry) has finished cutting a set of the mounts. Doug has said they are better than what He was providing and made a few pointers.

I spent a bit of time with them today getting ready to produce for the Alpine Community.

Might be another week or more before I can provide a cost and the brackets.

Please let me know what you want,

DanR

Shabazz

Donation Time
Thanks Dan! I’ll see if I can get some clarification from Doug to see what my best next step is.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am in the process of working on my rear suspension and am wondering about an issue with the rotted rebound straps.

I am planning on converting to a V6 and would like a solid rear end before I start that process. As I inspect my rear suspension I see the straps are shredded and rotted. I am replacing the bushings and rubber wraps on the spring binders and am contemplating modifying from the Armstrong’s to shocks. I’m not sure of the value in that, though I’ve read many posts that rave about it.

If I modified the suspension from Armstrong’s to shocks would that mean I would no longer need the rebound straps? I may have found some rebound straps to purchase from a different site, but they are made for a different car and I’m not sure of the fit.

I’m not really sure what is necessary, but I have the car up on Jack’s and have removed a leaf spring already and figure I’d like to do it right since I am going to the trouble…

your advice is appreciated.

Pete

Re-bound straps were used with the lever action shocks to protect the shocks from excessive "extension."

As noted by Michael, re-bound straps are not normally necessary with telescopic shocks. The "gotcha" is that the shock mounts and shock extended length must combine to have the telescopic shocks fully extended in the right place.

RMC

Donation Time
Pete, Doug Miller (Bullduram) is better at providing you with knowledge of the early Series Alpines.

He and I have been in discussions for a while about me doing the Shock Mount brackets.

My Draftsman/Engineer/Laser Guy (Larry) has finished cutting a set of the mounts. Doug has said they are better than what He was providing and made a few pointers.

I spent a bit of time with them today getting ready to produce for the Alpine Community.

Might be another week or more before I can provide a cost and the brackets.

Please let me know what you want,

DanR