• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I & II Shock Mount conversion to Tube Type

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Our Fellow Member Doug Miller better known as bulldurham designed and sold mount bracket to convert the Series I & II originals to a tube type until recently.

He passed his "stuff" on to me. I have had my Draftsman/Engineer/Laser Buddy re-draw and laser cut the brackets with some minor improvements.

With Doug's blessing, they are NOW for sale.

A complete set of brackets consists of the uppers and lowers both right and left sides. They come with the mounting studs (four each) for the tube type shocks. Send a private message (PM) or
E-mail: tiger2dan at gmail dot com

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
UP DATE:
SHOCK MOUNT BRACKETS - Series I and II and other Sunbeams with the same type undercarriage like the Harrington.

Fellow Sunbeam Owner (Doug Miller) designed a set of mount brackets for converting the early Series I-IIs from the cantilever to tube type shocks a number of years ago. He recently passed the fabricating and sales to me. I took his hand sketched drawing to my Engineer/Draftsman Buddy for an update so we could more easily fabricate (laser cut and bend) them.

Below is a picture of the brackets with the studs in position for mounting the tube type shocks.

j1RXyImPq88ppK45cyAMoW5QxnUKxd3Udu9QBEVw4pEnyJaFeuwPEl3Eh3VW2ND0wn10C6SOlAYeZKdOQh4w-7pMQ-Pr9Q5BmE585DyK9K0lIJab2Up8cx2rkOGGzjLs5EksAhwx=s0

The Brackets are mirror images of each other. For the top brackets, the bolts/studs are always high (towards the top) and offset to the rear. The bottom edge of the bracket is mounted even with the bottom of the frame rail to which it attaches.

Take note please that you should install the shock tube to the top stud before attaching the bracket to the frame rail as space will not allow for this afterwards. The back side of the top bracket should be even and smooth for an adequate fit. You may need in some cases to “dimple” the frame rail where the stud protrudes through the bracket or grind off the excess threads. There is plenty of room for the washers and nuts after the bracket and tube shock is mounted.

Doug recommends using with Gabriel SVT shock 69622.

Current sales price is $195 plus USPS Priority Flat Rate shipping lower 48 States $16.00. Note pleaseUSPS SHIPPING IS UP!! Not sure yet what new rates are, but will advise ASAP

Feel free to ask questions: tiger2dan@gmail.com or 864-554-0814 Cell - Please leave a message if no answer.

NOTE: See Fastfontier POST 17

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, These look great! I'll be in touch shortly to get a set for the S2 that will be in the shop in a couple weeks.
Cheers!
Steve

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently purchased this kit from Dan, its a very substantial and well made kit! I will install it over the winter. Cheers!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
bkasl, I do not own an early Series which requires the Armstrong type. Doug is the one I would refer to for an answer such as yours, however, I think availability of replacements whether rebuilt or new may be a problem in most cases.

Another thought to consider might be that Rootes went to the tube type on later Series due to cost differences.

I picked up the fabrication of these brackets that Doug started because I wanted to keep them available to the Sunbeam World. There's a big investment and a slow return on them. I do various things because I enjoy it and try to live up to our motto: Keep'em-on-the-Road.

alpine_64

Donation Time
What is benefit of tube conversion over standard Armstrong lever?
Brent, the telescopic shock ( if mounted correctly and with decent geometry) offers better rear axle control and damping.
The early rears can have gentle axle skip when going accross corrugations while cornering. They offer reduced axle tramp under hard acceleration.
No longer require rebound straps.
Offer the ability to get adjustable shocks, gas shocks to tune the ride.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Axle skip? Is that the feel of slight airborne when over a bump?
When cornering and you go across some bumps the rear axle will bounce a little and have a slight sideways movement.

On a hard start its axle tramp where the springs deglect and cause the rear axle to bounce ( less issue with a stock engine alpine unless you are doing a very aggressive start)

I converted to telescopic rear with my own design in 1999 and found it a big improvement. I had rebuilt the lever arms and used a heavier fluid to help rear axle control which did help...but gas shocks and the revised geometry of how they worked in cornering improved ride and road holding

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Guess I should weigh in here.
Actually the reason went to a tube shock was the fact my lever shocks were worn out, the cost of rebuild and the bottom attachment hole was way wallowed out, plus the rebound strap was shot. So you know I had to have improved handling w/ the tube shock set up. Given what my experience has been I would not go back to Armstrong's unless I wanted a factory correct car.
For the reasons Alpine _ 64 mentions , it is a better setup and , I think , handles even better w/ the added weight of a passenger.
From my experience though, I still get that weightless, sort of out of control feeling on really hard bumps, which I think is the function of a short wheel base, not the suspension. Also you do have a choice of shocks you can experiment w/ including adjustable ones.
Dan's modifications to my plans is an upgrade as it weighs less, and uses very little welding, eliminates the bracing of the bottom bracket.
His design is the difference between a good shop and a very good one that will suggest a better way to do it rather than just do what a plan says.
I would get a set if I happen to end up w/ another early series car.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I (DanR) am posting this for Shabazz: I (Shabazz) have encountered another issue with this install and am wondering if it has occurred with any others.

I have been working on my parking brake. I went to install it last night and the link to the passenger side rear wheel comes in contact with the shock. It is close, but I can’t quite attach the link to the ebrake arm that comes out of the brake drum.

I am in the process of moving the upper shock attachment to the rearmost hole to try to get just a little more room.

has anyone else ever had this issue?

Shabazz

Shabazz

Donation Time
I moved the upper shock attachment to the rearward hole. As stated in DanR's POST 2 Quote: For the top brackets, the bolts/studs are always high (towards the top) and offset to the rear. It made it a very close fit between the shock and e-brake rod. I went ahead and bent the e-brake rod a bit for clearance around the shock and everything seemed to work great.

This was a non-issue in the end. Very satisfied with the conversion kit. Both Dan and Doug were very interested in helping me solve the issue, and, as I said, really no big deal to put a bit of a bend in the e-brake rod.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Our Fellow Member Doug Miller better known as bulldurham designed and sold mount bracket to convert the Series I & II originals to a tube type until recently.

He passed his "stuff" on to me. I have had my Draftsman/Engineer/Laser Buddy re-draw and laser cut the brackets with some minor improvements.

With Doug's blessing, they are NOW for sale.

A complete set of brackets consists of the uppers and lowers both right and left sides. They come with the mounting studs (four each) for the tube type shocks. Send a private message (PM) or
E-mail: tiger2dan at gmail dot com
Dan, do these mountto the frame? Do we need to drill holes in the frame? I might want this kit for my series 2 project I am putting together.....Willl you have this available at the columbia SOS ? Mike Schreiner

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Same as what bulldurham started with, no cutting or drilling, Bolts directly.

Plan to have at least one kit for display,

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
I used KYB gas adjust shocks for a c3 Corvette. I replaced the top eyelet bushing with an energy suspension hourglass polyurethane bushing. It fits really well and looks about the same as the lower eyelet. It was easier just to press out the entire eyelet + reducer and replace with these...

Attachments

• PXL_20220318_172424136.jpg
    PXL_20220318_172424136.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 30

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Where did you get the hourglass Polyurethane Bushing> part number?

Energy suspension 9.8107G as you'll see on the tag in my photo. I bought them on Amazon. I should note I used this on Doug's design, not DanR's take at it. If the 5/8's stud is the same width on both the lower and top mount then it should fit these bushes just fine.

P.S. with poly make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease when installing to keep the squeaks down

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
I purchased a set of the Gabriel SVT shock 69622. shcoks (corvette C3 62 - 82) BUT they are too long to mount....Being gas shocks you can not depress them they are 14 1/2 inches center to center and the mounted brackets are 12 1/4 approx (with body jacked up suspension hanging free......Love the brackets but must find a shorter shock