• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Outer Window Rubber

SeriesVtime

Donation Time
I picked up new clips and rubber strips for the outer window strip on a Series V from Sunbeam Specialties and either the clips are too short, or the small tabs on the rubber strip don't extend down to fully grab the tangs on the clips. They just barely connect.

I'm installing the metal clips as follows: if you imagine the clip, as a letter "T", and then rotate it 180 degrees, so the top is on the bottom, the bottom part slides into small square notches in the door metal, which have been folded in from the outer door panel. The stalk of the "T", now pointing up, should, I believe, catch the rubber tabs coming off the window rubber, but they're barely touching.

With all of the clips in place it kinda holds, each perhaps connecting 1/32" at very best, but I'm sure that over a short amount of time the strip will pull out and fly away....

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Yes and the repos are frustrating.I finally used some black goop on the clips
You may need to use a bit of solvent as its pretty hard not to get some where it should not be.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its the clips.. the repros dont have the same tensin as the originals.. do you have any of the old metal ones left? use them!

i posted this on the site a couple of days back.. i would try them they had a clip that looked right and i have now heard good things about them:

http://www.bresco.com/

SeriesVtime

Donation Time
Guys,

Thanks. I was starting to think that I was doing something stupid (still no guarantee).

Chuck, I'll take a look at adding some material for the tabs to adhere to.

Michael, I'd seen your Bresco link earlier and thumbed through some of there pages. I didn't immediately see this clip but if you're aware of where in their catalog, I'd be interested in getting a set to see if they're any better.

In the meantime, I believe I do have some of the original clips, I've just got to dig them out of a box of nuts and bolts.

Thanks again guys!

Jeff

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
do you know the specific reference to the part? They have alot of things on there. Thanks for sharing the info

Sam

LarryN

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes - I had the same problem installing the outer strips on My Series II. I finally took the car to a local glass shop where one of the techs had experience with Sunbeams. He tried everything he could think of and then glued the strips in place. It will probably play hell with the paint when they come off, but that will most likely be when the car is repainted so...

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
As I recall, even going back to the original clips didn't keep the strip in al the time, especially if rolling up or down the window. So, I was able to drill a small hole near the clip near the vertical channel and screw in a small screw, through the strip. I painted it black. Unless you are looking with a magnifying glass and direct sunlight, no one would ever know it's there.

Just to be clear, this is INSIDE the long slit, not along the top!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
As I recall, even going back to the original clips didn't keep the strip in al the time, especially if rolling up or down the window. So, I was able to drill a small hole near the clip near the vertical channel and screw in a small screw, through the strip. I painted it black. Unless you are looking with a magnifying glass and direct sunlight, no one would ever know it's there.

Just to be clear, this is INSIDE the long slit, not along the top!

Now that indeed is a good remedy.Looks like that should get done this winter

SeriesVtime

Donation Time

These look like they're almost perfect replicas of the inner anti-rattle strip. The ones of these I got from SS seemed to work fine. It's the outer most clip that looks like a T that's giving me heartburn.

I was able to locate 7 of my original clips. I've got one more box (a large box) of bolts, nuts, and miscellaneous things Alpine to sort though, but if I could find new, the old ones are rather rusty and generally nasty.

-jeff

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Now that indeed is a good remedy.Looks like that should get done this winter

Before you get too far, I have to admit my memory slipped a little. I just went into the garage to look. The little screw I added was at the back of the strip. I can't remember if I had one towards the front or not. I'm thinking now that the front was held on by the quarterwindow just fine. It was the back that kept popping up.

I do remember that to drill the hole, I had to have the side of the drill bit very close to the top inside edge of the door. So, I taped a thin aluminum strip there while I was drilling to protect the paint.

And, the way the rubber strip forms sort of a T, you would have to lift it up to even have a chance at seeing the screw.

George Farrell

Donation Time
Years ago, I used binder clips (the paper clips with a wide metal clamp and wire handles) to hold the rubber in place. I took one of the handles off and used a needle nose pliers and screw driver to place the binders on the metal, then used the pliers to pull the clamp open and then slid the rubber behind the clamp. When all the binders were in position and the rubber held properly in place, I used the needle nose to remove the remaining handles. I did this about fifteen years ago and never had a problem.

George

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I'd previously bought a set of outer seals from VB. They are made of a kind of "flexable" plastic. I was also having a lot of problems w/the seal coming up when I rolled up the window. I just got a new set from SS and they are holding a lot better. It's a softer, hard rubber, and there seems to be a "gripper" surface on the piece that slides down the clips. I'm definately more pleased w/the way these are holding.
Ron