• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V 3.89 differential

alpine_64

Donation Time
There are a few factors.

There is HP. And torque.. how much traction you have ( sticky tyres) and how you plan on using it.
If you often hard launch an alpine rear and have sticky tyres you will break it...
The stock axle keys are a weak point and can break and cause you to spin an axle.

The ring gear bolts have washer tabs under the nuts that crush and allow the bolts to vibrate and work loose.

If you add HP to the car but drive it normally it's probably fine... Some of the v6 conversions have done that. Once you add a lot of torque that will put pressure on the rear end.

I would say the stock rear with harder axle keys and the ring gear bolts snugged up are fine to 120-30hp for normal driving .... But if you hammer it ... It won't last

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the insight. I am doing the conversion. Estimate around 180 hp at the crank. I don't plan on running hard.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
How much horsepower will this differential hold up to.

I am also adding limited slip. Don't know if that will make a difference.

Thanks for the insight. I am doing the conversion. Estimate around 180 hp at the crank. I don't plan on running hard.

I can't imagine putting a 180 HP Ford 2.8 V6 and a limited slip differential in a Series Alpine and then not stepping on the loud pedal. I'll take the under on the Alpine rear axle lasting 3 months.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
You may be correct.

Doug,

I suggest that you follow-up on post #8 in this thread by Aladin Sane. He is doing an Alpine V8 conversion with about double your estimated power.

Entering "postal jeep" and posted by "aladin sane" in the search function at the top right of any forum page will show a bunch of posts that are relevant to your project.

Welcome to the DARK SIDE.

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
Doug,

I suggest that you follow-up on post #8 in this thread by Aladin Sane. He is doing an Alpine V8 conversion with about double your estimated power.

Entering "postal jeep" and posted by "aladin sane" in the search function at the top right of any forum page will show a bunch of posts that are relevant to your project.

Welcome to the DARK SIDE.
Thanks will do

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think its the "shock" of sudden torque that will break things. I would rebuild the 3.89 differential and get new bearings and so on. But, thats the problem, can't find new parts like bearings
Jan

DougCoad

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks. I don't plan on dropping the clutch of the line. I didn't k own parts are hard to come by.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’m just curious…I have seen a number of discussions here and in other threads about
”breaking” a rear end but does anyone actually have first hand experience with that and, if so, under what circumstance ?…for my SI V6 conversion project I completely rebuilt the stock rear end, new bearings all around, added the hardened axle keys, etc….I don’t plan to lose any sleep over something giving loose but, then again, I don’t anticipate going to the drag strip with it. Seems like there are quite a number of V6 conversions running around with stock rear ends that are performing just fine.